Tele-Sales

Mike

The law here states that these people are no longer
allowed to "Cold Call", you have to have contacted
them asking for information, but they are getting a
bit cute about their reasons for calling.

One company in Manchester has been calling me for
over a week now, several times per day, after ignoring
them, I got fed up and answered today, a young woman
tried to sell me a will writing service, I told her that I had
informed a co-worker in her office that my brother wrote
wills and if I wanted one that is where I would go.

I also asked why she was calling me in London, she said
because they were a local company and trying to keep
business in the local community!

I asked her why if she was a local company in London was
she calling from a telephone in Manchester, well that set her
off and she started shouting at me, I didn't listen to what she
was saying as I hung up the phone, I get the feeling that she
wasn't selling wills either, probably looking for some contact
details.

Mike.

I don't know if they passed a similar here in CA about previous contact, but I get calls from someone who starts by saying, "Because you stayed in our hotel before," or "Since you took one of our cruises," etc. I never took a cruise or stayed in their hotel.

These "Spam" calls are getting ridiculous. They usually increase around this time of year....especially as Medicare sign up time approaches, and credit card usage begins to spike, due to holiday gift shopping. Lately, I have noticed a bunch of calls coming from "local" phone numbers, trying to trick people into answering the call....thinking it might be a legitimate call. Periodically, I look up several of these numbers on a "reverse phone number" site, and they all share one thing in common...No Name associated with the phone number. More and more, it becomes important to just ignore these calls if you don't recognize the number...answering the phone just insures that you will get even more of this "junk".

We seem to get only marketing calls on our landline phone. If not for the rare call from family or friends from high school days who remember our phone number (only had the same number since 1965) I'd have it taken out. I have turned the ringer way down because my father, who has Alzheimer's, does not remember how to use the phone but he knows that when it rings it has to be answered. Or, at least, back in his day that was how it was done.

Me too, Butterfly. One day I kept a list of the calls that were coming in. Out of 22 calls that day, only one was from a real person! I don't miss the land line at all. Why pay for a service that is mainly used so other people can annoy you with sales (or scam) calls?

I don't know if it is still possible, but around 2004 or 2005
I had a St Petersburg Fl phone number via Skype, even though
I was in London England, at the time I had a business and some
clients and partnes in St Petersburg, not all had computers or
Email and communication was iffy, so they could call my local
number and my computer would get the call, I had to pay for
the service of course, but I couldn't call somebody and show
that number, at least I don't think I could and never tried.

Mike.

It's not just the Landlines that get this trash. I have a basic Tracfone that we just carry with us when away from the house, and we seldom use it. In the past few months, these "trash" calls are even starting to show up on it.

When my husband gets a live person scam caller he likes to mess with them. He got one the other day telling him that the extended warranty on his vehicle had expired. He acted all excited and told her he needed another one. When she asked about the car, he told her it was a 1963 Studebaker with 320,000 miles on it. That left her speechless.
I just push the block button and tell them I'm adding them to my list.
The only reason we still have a land line is so that my 88 year old mother can contact us.

Back