Thank you, thank you, thank you,..., a thread about thanking people!

grahamg

Old codger
Now and again on "off the wall" thought occurs to me, and this evening it is whether a thread about thanking people might have legs?

We all thank people all the time (don't we?), its the culturally accepted form of behaviour to start with, and usually the term is accepted with a "Don't mention it", or " My pleasure" response, (odd enough in themselves if saying thank you is the culturally expected norm!).

Often we say thank you when we don't mean it, maybe as a way of placating someone before doing your best to get away from them without investing too much energy into countering the nonsense they're speaking, or stooping to letting them know what you really think!

However, when we're genuinely thankful for someone's assistance, even a seemingly small and unexpected gesture of kindness or whatever, this is a very different "Thank you" we're uttering isn't it, (I hope you agree?). :)

Since early in the PD I’ve been expressing appreciation to many of the service workers and helpers who otherwise get treated as part of the woodwork. Both in person and on the phone. I sincerely mean it too.
And I’ve heard a lot of appreciation in return, big smiles and bright eyes from folks who don’t hear that sort of thing often.

I'd like to thank Amazon ratings, which makes it easier to choose the best products.
I'd like to thank IMDB for their movie ratings, which helps to narrow down movie and series picks.
I'd like to thank Wikipedia for all their information. That's one organization that I actually contribute to.
I'd like to thank SeniorForums for all the good people here and providing a platform for us to post on.
I'd like to thank Craigslist for their free classified ads.
I'd like to thank the pandemic for causing grocery stores to offer delivery services.
I'd like to thank YouTube contributors for teaching me how to cook.

Since early in the PD I’ve been expressing appreciation to many of the service workers and helpers who otherwise get treated as part of the woodwork. Both in person and on the phone. I sincerely mean it too.
And I’ve heard a lot of appreciation in return, big smiles and bright eyes from folks who don’t hear that sort of thing often.
I've only visited the US once, (back in 1988), and found the level of service offered almost everywhere exemplary, making me think Britain was in the dark ages in that regard, and slightly ashamed of service levels offered here, (its vey much improved since in my opinion thankfully). :)

I'd like to thank Irwin for his list, particularly for reminding me of all the joy and entertainment I've found on YouTube. I've watched old movies and serials there far more than I have ever watched on TV, got medical advice from the nice informative doctors, and of course been amused by those cats who are rumored to own the channel. There are things on Youtube that only I and five other people in the universe seem to like and it warms my heart to discover those things.

I'd like to thank the two strangers who were wandering the aisle in Kroger with me yesterday. After we had all walked up and down for several minutes I called out, "Where is the baking soda?" They joined me and we all helped each other find the hidden items we were searching for. Most people are incredibly nice.

I want to say, thank you, to all the people who are at the front line of this pandemic. I want them to know how much I appreciate the doctors, nurses, the people who go out there regardless of their own troubles to make me safe. I want to thank the scientists who have developed vaccines to fight this pandemic.

I want to thank my family and friends for being there for me and I want to thank God for everything large and small. Thank you for giving me grace each and every day.

Finally, I want to say thank you to William Shatner for showing me what a 90 year old can do and I want to thank the wonderful elderly couple I met today who find such joy in just being. They gave me much joy today.

Like Shero, I too want to thank those on the front lines taking us through the pandemic. I especially want to thank health care workers and grocery store employees - how do they face the risk every day and still go out and do their jobs. I want to thank the lovely group of women who invited me to join them over a year ago, first for Zoom meetings on Saturday mornings, and now that we are all vaccinated, for in person meetings. I couldn't have gotten through the elections and the dark winter of the pandemic without them. I want to thank my friend of many years, Cheryl, for always asking about my dog Sophie, because a lot of people don't seem to get how much she means to me and that my time with her is limited. And I truly, truly want to thank coffee for waking me up every morning. :)

Looking for opposing views? Okay. I'll bite. I always say thank you to the store cashier checking me out. But it really annoys me when the cashier doesn't say anything, much less thank you. Even then I'll say thank you and wonder why I did. Like, thanks for doing your job? One cashier even had the nerve to say "your welcome" as if she did me a favor. In the future, if I don't get a thank you I'll just say "you're welcome" as I'm leaving instead of thank you. I'll probably just get a dirty look.

Looking for opposing views? Okay. I'll bite. I always say thank you to the store cashier checking me out. But it really annoys me when the cashier doesn't say anything, much less thank you. Even then I'll say thank you and wonder why I did. Like, thanks for doing your job? One cashier even had the nerve to say "your welcome" as if she did me a favor. In the future, if I don't get a thank you I'll just say "you're welcome" as I'm leaving instead of thank you. I'll probably just get a dirty look.
Nicely put together point of view, (I enjoyed reading it very much!). :)

I avoid all that by going to the self-checkout lanes. There's no need to deal with them and their snotty attitudes any more. That's another benefit of modern technology and another reason to be thankful. :)

I avoid all that by going to the self-checkout lanes. There's no need to deal with them and their snotty attitudes any more. That's another benefit of modern technology and another reason to be thankful. :)
No, you've just gotta impart all that wisdom we've built up over all these years, or I do anyway!!!!! :)
(they'll thank us for it one day too, to bring us nicely back on track!)

No, you've just gotta impart all that wisdom we've built up over all these years, or I do anyway!!!!! :)
(they'll thank us for it one day too, to bring us nicely back on track!)
Naaa, I just get in and out as efficiently as possible. Wisdom comes from the root 'wise' and I don't consider myself wise in any way, shape, or form. The only wisdom I have is to avoid people whenever possible. :cool:

Naaa, I just get in and out as efficiently as possible. Wisdom comes from the root 'wise' and I don't consider myself wise in any way, shape, or form. The only wisdom I have is to avoid people whenever possible. :cool:
No, no, surely not, you're only jesting I'm sure, (and I'm not kidded by your self deprecating comments as to lack of wisdom on your part either!). :)

Back