Mike

This was a really sad case, I remember it well and
I was shocked that she wasn't believed, not only
did a mother lose her baby in the night, but she
was jailed for life for murder, after serving 4 years
in jail, she was exonerated and completely cleared
in 1986.

Her baby was still dead though.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...aks-tears-baby-Azaria-inside-tummy-dingo.html

Mike.

Thanks for the link, Mike. I pretty much covers the entire story.

I remember that case well. The mother and her family were demonised in the media and the most outrageous speculation ran rampant. I myself was very skeptical of the dingo story because some blood stained baby clothes were reported to have been found 'neatly folded'. While I could believe that a dingo, or any large dog, could have carried off the child, I believed that at the very least, there had been human intervention.

I had earlier visited Ayers Rock with a group of secondary students and we had camped nearby. A dingo did venture into our campsite and we gave it a bowl of milk. We had been told not to worry about the dingos but to avoid the mongrel dogs of the aborigines because they were more dangerous. It was this that led me to believe that the baby might have been carried off by a dog and the remains buried by someone from the local community. That could have explained the folded clothing that did not seem to have been ripped off by an animal. In my mind I did not think that a dingo was responsible.

Then, some years after Lindy Chamberlain had been in gaol another piece of clothing, a matinee jacket, if I am not mistaken, was found and suddenly Lindy was exonerated and released. The rapid action convinced me that the new evidence must have been compelling. We never really learned why this occurred because the the findings were not made public.

Last edited:
I remember that case so well.
The media took it and ran with it, some of the stuff they wrote about her was absolutely shocking, they even went as far as to say that the name Azaria meant sacrifice to God.

I truly believe that the media had her convicted before it even went to court.
So very heart breaking.

Oh Goodness yes, I remember the case, I've never forgotten it. I was a young mum at the time, and it broke my heart for Lindy.. I don't know why but unlike ''3/4's of Australians, who believed she was guilty of murder '' according to the media... I never believed she had killed her child, but it was still very much a mystery all these years what actually happened..

In that article Lindy says even now, 40 years on she still has abuse shouted at her by people... accusing her of murder :(

Last edited:
There is a two part programme about it on
Channel 5, one and a half hours each, the
first was tonight and the second is tomorrow.

You could if you wish, watch it on catch up,
but you might need a British IP Address, you
can change it easily on Opera, but I am not
sure about other browsers.

Catch up here is usually for 30 days, but some
programmes are held for longer.

Here is the link.
https://www.channel5.com/show/accused-trial-in-the-outback/

Mike.

I think that most of the world was mesmerized with this case. It certainly was unusual and I remember the treatment of that mother. I did lose track of it and now I do know what happened to the mother finally.

Back