The cost of a brand new truck these days.

Scary isn't it, old guy. Saturday we looked at a Kia crossover and the cheapest one on the lot was $25,000 and change. I then looked at a loaded Sodona, mini van, ......only $45,000. Wow. And trucks are out of sight like you said.

The Nissan Versa, a 4-door sedan with only 109 HP, was the cheapest available new car in the U.S. this year (until they recalled it - of course!) at only $12,800 USD ...

That's why I don't buy a new car very often.. and I pay cash when I do.. I had my last car for 12 years.. A car may be a necessity, but it's certainly not a very good investment.

My grandson just bought a brand new Dodge Ram fancy schmancy truck a year and a half ago. Now he is shopping for a new one because he`s having to pull a 5th wheel around with him to live in and the gas is killing him. Now he wants (needs) a diesel. I think he`s gonna lose a bundle. And the transmission on his wife`s Honda just went out for the second time in a few months,so they are going to replace her car as well. Guess I won`t be seeing any greatgrandkids anytime soon....

...and a truck is not used as a truck anymore!! I asked a friend if I could use his truck to bring home some firewood, he said no way not in his "baby" !!

And don't forget the property tax and insurance cost for any new vehicle that will be high for several years after purchase...

I guess I'll keep my 2003 F150 for a while longer. New tires and a battery cost over $800, but that's a bargain compared to a new truck.

I wonder if this would work:

I saw a auto ad on TV the other day that said if you buy this month we'll make your first payment for you. So why not tell the dealer you'll buy the truck and you want to pay it off next month in one payment. :wink:

I guess I'll keep my 2003 F150 for a while longer. New tires and a battery cost over $800, but that's a bargain compared to a new truck.

I wonder if this would work:

I saw a auto ad on TV the other day that said if you buy this month we'll make your first payment for you. So why not tell the dealer you'll buy the truck and you want to pay it off next month in one payment. :wink:

After the first month, how long would it take before they repo it??

We just started new car hunting this week because we are convinced that this is the best time of the year to buy a new car. I drive a GMC 4-wheel drive Envoy and would not trade it right now for anything. My wife has a 2010 Lexus and wants to trade it before it becomes totally worthless. So far we have been to 4 dealerships and today will be 5 and 6. She really likes the 2015 Chevrolet Impala. What a difference between a Lexus and Impala. After today, she will make her choice. I just go along for the ride, but stay out of her decision making. The last time that I talked her into buying a car, she had it for 4 months and traded it.

I will say GM has come a long way with their vehicles. I was impressed with the ride and the features. Holy Cow! WiFi in a car? I think other cars already had this feature, but I had never seen it demonstrated before and I liked it.

"I saw a auto ad on TV the other day that said if you buy this month we'll make your first payment for you. So why not tell the dealer you'll buy the truck and you want to pay it off next month in one payment."

Just make sure that there is no penalty for an early pay-off. Some financing companies, banks included, add this in the small print. Like most seniors, we pay cash for our vehicles at the time of purchase, but for those that don't, they need to be aware of this because I know of people that plan on paying off their loans at tax refund time and nobody likes these types of surprises.

Why go through all the hassle of sitting in a dealership and doing all the paperwork for a loan just to get the 1st month payment free? Anyway.. is it really a free payment or are they just delaying the first month payment? Who trusts dealerships.. they will ALWAYS come out ahead. Buying a new car is a horrendous experience and the less often I have to do it the better.

We just bought another house that we rent and we were told at the time of the mortgage signing that there was no penalty for early pay off, so I think banks still do it.

Im sure you are right, rkunsaw. When we were both working, we paid off our home loan early. Also, two years ago the car was paid off early too.

[h=3]Are there any early repayment charges?[/h]The Consumer Credit (Early Settlement) Regulations 2004 allow lenders to charge up to 58 days interest in the event that a customer decides to repay their loan in full early.
Any charges will be shown in your early settlement quote.
If you're nearing the end of the loan term check that it is worth making the early repayment, considering the interest you’ll pay.

Why go through all the hassle of sitting in a dealership and doing all the paperwork for a loan just to get the 1st month payment free? Anyway.. is it really a free payment or are they just delaying the first month payment? Who trusts dealerships.. they will ALWAYS come out ahead. Buying a new car is a horrendous experience and the less often I have to do it the better.

I think you and others missed the point. The company pays the first payment. There is ONLY one payment. The company pays for the truck.

I still have a mortgage on my primary residence.. but not a very big one... less than $10,000. I have considered paying it off, but the interest is the only tax deduction I have... even if a pittance.

I don't understand that either. I see plenty of huge pickups and off roading SUVs in the city.. You know they aren't using them for that purpose, and the gas has to cost a fortune.

Back