The Dark Web. Have you ever been curious?

Marie5656

I am currently watching an old program about the Dark Web. Focus on "murder for hire" plots from there. I guess a lot of unsavory stuff can be done via the Dark Web.
Have you ever been curious about what goes on there? Why people go? I would never feel I had a need to go there, as I have never had a desire to do any of the illegal stuff that happens there. But I have always had a sort of mild curiosity about what goes on there.
I watched a You Tube video once made by a guy who bought a "Mystery Package" from the Dark Web. I forget the exact specifics about what was in the box, but I remember it was very creepy and disturbing. I do not know if what they claimed was in the box (they showed it all) was actually what it was supposed to be. But it was still intriguing.

What do you think of all this stuff? Is it just the natural progression of the internet? I mean, all the stuff they claim you can do or get there, has always been around, this just seems to be a more modern way to get it.

As I understand it, the "dark web" is part of the net, which is not searched by Google, et al. There's special search engine that anyone can get. There are legitimate reasons for sites on it. Do I think there's a bunch of bizarre stuff on it? Yeah. But I don't think it's any weirder than what's on the regular net. Supposedly criminals use it because its easier to hide your internet footprints. I think it's more hype than reality.

sex-devil-angels-devil_on_shoulder-computer-conscience-cden147_low.jpg

I've been a little curious but not enough to go there. Just the name Dark Web is a turn off for me, I stay away from sites that look iffy, I don't want to open myself and my computer to any miscreants who may be lurking in the 'Dark'. Maybe it's harmless to browse there, but I'll take a pass. :xbone:

I would be very careful "just checking it out." The site is monitored by the FBI. If you think that just because your I.P address is scrambled a number of times, so you would be safe to do so, if you really believe that, then go ahead and check it out. Just keep in mind that when you do it, someone may be checking you out.

This is the first I've heard of a Dark Web. After what has been said about it I have no desire to go there...I find enough on the regular web to disgust me.

Yes-and I was told how to access it.A TOR VPN seems to be a necessity from what I have been told.However I am concerned at what I might find there and wonder about the knock at the door..k

And hello again to everyone at GCHQ-and if you don't know what that is DuckDuckGo it!

I have heard a lot about it. I am not interesting in visiting, but am always interested in things I do not know about and always wonder why dtuff like that is out there. The whole "I will never get caught" mentality seems to prevail with places like that. I say never say never.

So interesting,,,, here is Norton Anti-Virus article on the difference between the Deep Web and the Dark Web.
It's really fascinating! TOR stands for The Onion Router and sites will end with " dot onion". It talks about law enforcement taking down of drug sites I never heard of...like "The Silk Road" for instance....

I won't be checking out anything after all.

https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-how-to-how-can-i-access-the-deep-web.html

The Pennsylvania State Police with the aide of the FBI have made arrests using the dark web. As well known to those who use the dark web, they still attempt to use it as a hunting grounds for various nefarious acts. In many cases, a lot of the suspects have been charged with a Federal crime, just for seeking information, especially felons that are still on probation or parole. Going to any Federal prison is not a happy place. I have visited one of them here in Pennsylvania at Lewisburg where Jimmy Hoffa spent some time. What a hell hole, not to mention the crap they serve called food.

I shouldn't have written "any federal prison." The prisons that are minimum security for white collar crimes are pretty much a country club. We have one of those here in Pennsylvania, as well.

A friend told me she'd been there, done that, and it's websites that have either disappeared on their own, or have been shut down. She went there purely out of curiosity, and found absolutely nothing. I suppose there's a chance she didn't dig deep enough, but she saw nothing that made her want to do so. Since this part of the internet is now well known to law enforcement, I suppose the truly taboo sites are hidden in another part of the web (The darker web?). Once those sites are exposed, they'll disappear, too. And so it goes.........

I was bored several months ago, downloaded the program for it called TOR.. I also use a VPN at times, But in all honesty, I didn't see anything that interested me enough to keep me going there. I am told that all internet sites have a spot in the dark web.. Is it true, I do not know... But have been there like I said.. And wasn't really impressed. Just my 2 cents...

Types-of-Web.png

https://www.thedarkwebsites.com/

Some more info on it...

This makes me think of the Emma Roberts movie "Nerve" where teenagers play a dangerous online dare game on the dark web. I liked the movie but it can scare you when you see some of what's going on out there. And NERVE is a work of fiction, keep that in mind.

RR mentioned a difference between the Dark Web and the Deep Web. I learned something then, as I thought they were both the same. I am pretty much with everyone here, the whole thing seems to scary to me. There is enough on the open web to keep us all entertained for years to come.

I had just made the OP because I do not think it had been discussed here. I am glad for the interesting discussion

I have never had any interest in it. Kind of weird, but I have a Discover credit card that includes a monthly credit score and a scan for my info on the dark web. So far, they haven't found any trace of me. :laugh:

I heard that there are two version of "The Dark Web", one is full
of nasty stuff and the other is full of old no longer used web sites,
or former versions of them.

Maybe I am completely wrong of course as I have no real idea.

Mike.

There seems to be at least some interest in these masked browsers, so maybe I can clear up some of the confusion or maybe add to the confusion.

Whether you decide to use an Onion browser or Tor, both are legal. However, because they both scramble your I.P. Address, this fact generally draws suspicion to the user wanting to be kept hidden or confidential. IOW, why does the user feel the need to be kept hidden?

Inside these browser, as you peel away the layers, like an onion, there are many sites that are deemed to be inappropriate due to the nature of the content. This is why when you first take a look inside, you may not see anything that appears to be so awful and wonder why all the clamor for taking a look.

Because of of the fact that as you peel away the layers, the content that becomes available is so unnatural is the reason why some law enforcement agencies monitor these sites.

Unless you really have a desire for a need to know, I would recommend to stay clear of these browsers and sites. I know that we are all curious as to what is so horrible inside of these browsers and sites that some people just can’t contain themselves and just have to take a peek. That’s up to you.

Back