The Fall surge is here.....

Win and Annie, I had the new shingles vaccine in mind when I wrote that. Are you aware that there is a new one? It came out this year, and requires two shots a few months apart, and is supposed to be vastly superior to the original one. I've had both shots; nothing to it, no side effects at all.

Shingrix is 97% effective at preventing herpes zoster (shingles) in folks over 50 whereas the (older) Zostavax shot is 50-64% effective in preventing shingles in those 50-70 and even lower for those over 70. Shingrix also stays effective for longer.

And once again, that's how science works. When something better comes along, we use it. Why not?
I saw another TV ad for Shingrix. Looks like they lowered the claimed effectiveness to 90%.
Well, when they're selling something, we know they'd NEVER exaggerate. That just wouldn't be right............ šŸ˜Š

He's already got a fever with coughing and congestion at the Walter Reed Medical Center in Maryland.....
I heard he has "mild" symptoms. They said his weight, age & cholesterol are risks, so they're taking precautions. Of course, we never know when they're telling us the truth. A doctor also said 80% of people with Covid have mild symptoms.

Last edited:
The problem with posting anything about POTUS is that the thread could become very politically ugly in a hurry. We can watch the news stations. The topic is all over the place today. Yes, we have strong feelings, but we need to respects the rules of this website. They could shut the site down if we get out of hand. I know one that happened with on another topic.

Maybe not the whole site!!! ...but hopefully this thread will get locked if people keep behaving as though the guidelines set by our host don't apply to them.

Maybe not the whole site!!! ...but hopefully this thread will get locked if people keep behaving as though the guidelines set by our host don't apply to them.
The site I knew of that closed down it was because of one issue. One. Some of the patrons kept misbehaving about it. It could happen here.

The problem with posting anything about POTUS is that the thread could become very politically ugly in a hurry. We can watch the news stations. The topic is all over the place today. Yes, we have strong feelings, but we need to respect the rules of this website. They could shut the site down if we get out of hand. I know one that happened with on another topic.
True.

Such topics go down in flames quickly. I think @Matrix made the right choice.

OTOH, the vaccines against smallpox, diphtheria, measles, shingles, and other infectious diseases seem to work pretty well. The tetanus one works, but has to be repeated after 10 years. Others, like the flu shot, only partially work the year they are given, because the flu virus keeps mutating.

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this problem. Scientists are working days and night to try to find at least a way of slowing it down. And they will keep testing, studying, and improving the vaccine as time goes on. That's how medical science works.
Somehow, I never got smallpox, even though I didn't get a smallpox vaccine.
When I was 9, my mom was taking me to Europe with her to meet my aunts & uncles. I was supposed to get a smallpox vaccine before the trip but I fainted & the doctor sent us home.

He is a famous person with Covid, just like Tom Hanks and his wife, Andy Cohen, Jackson Browne, Joe Diffie, Alyssa Milano, Dwayne Johnson,
Neil Patrick Harris, and many more who still have it or have recovered (or have they)....this has nothing to do with politics.....
and now that you all made your point about others getting fired up to get nasty with the possible politics posts, I'm sure that's not gonna
happen now, so don't sweat it....

Last edited:

Win, are you deliberately being dense about this, or just trying to fan the flames?

Of course you didn't get smallpox. That's because you weren't exposed to it! But you can bet that if you had been exposed, you would have been glad that you had the vaccine.

There is always a small number of people who benefit from herd immunity. Let other people get the shot, then I won't have to worry about protecting myself, because they are protecting me.

The vaccine for Shingles seem to work pretty well? That's funny; attorneys are handling cases for people who got Shingles after getting the vaccine.

Im glad I did not get the shingles vaccination then. I was mulling it over for a few years. Now, I am not going to mull it over anymore. Im not getting the shingles vaccination or the flu shot. Everytime i got the flu shot i got the flu. I wonder if those that get the flu shot arent asymptomatic and carry it keeping it amongst us. Small thoughts.

Win, are you deliberately being dense about this, or just trying to fan the flames?

Of course you didn't get smallpox. That's because you weren't exposed to it! But you can bet that if you had been exposed, you would have been glad that you had the vaccine.

There is always a small number of people who benefit from herd immunity. Let other people get the shot, then I won't have to worry about protecting myself, because they are protecting me.
"Dense" is having a brain like a sponge that soaks in every bit of advertising offered to you. That's what makes you dense.
"Dense" is also being unable to disagree with someone without being insulting. That's what makes you dense.

Pauline, I just read an item the other day that said you can't get the flu from a flu shot. That's because they don't use a live virus, which is what would be needed to give you the flu. You probably get some sort of reaction or side effect, but it isn't the flu. That's what the experts say about it, anyway.

"Dense" is having a brain like a sponge that soaks in every bit of advertising offered to you. That's what makes you dense.
"Dense" is also being unable to disagree with someone without being insulting. That's what makes you dense.

My use of the word "dense" is not insulting, it is accurate!

It's probably useless trying to introduce logic here, but... what "advertising" are you talking about, Win? Like most of us, I got my smallpox vaccination when I was about 8 months old. I didn't have too much to say about it. And my mother wasn't influenced by advertising either. In fact, I doubt that the smallpox vaccine was ever advertised at all. I've never seen an ad for it, have you?

But I'm so glad that my parents had the basic intelligence to follow the advice of their doctor, not to mention the laws of the land. Like 99% of the population, they cooperated with the vaccination requirements of the day. And I'm delighted that they did. I've lived a very healthy life, probably at least in part due to that.

The shingles vaccine is another story. Although from what I've heard, shingles is a very unpleasant disease to get, it isn't smallpox. The vaccine is completely optional. If a person is convinced that it sounds like a good idea, and like the odds, they should get it. Otherwise, nobody has to.

For some reason, there seems to be an idea among some on this forum, that the medical profession is full of greedy charlatans who are trying their darndest to palm off useless (or dangerous) drugs on the public, in order to fatten their own wallets. While I don't think the drug industry is necessarily composed of angels, I do trust the opinions of my dearly loved family physician and his nurse. They are not "sellng" me anything; they just want to keep me healthy.

My use of the word "dense" is not insulting, it is accurate!

It's probably useless trying to introduce logic here, but... what "advertising" are you talking about, Win? Like most of us, I got my smallpox vaccination when I was about 8 months old. I didn't have too much to say about it. And my mother wasn't influenced by advertising either. In fact, I doubt that the smallpox vaccine was ever advertised at all. I've never seen an ad for it, have you?

But I'm so glad that my parents had the basic intelligence to follow the advice of their doctor, not to mention the laws of the land. Like 99% of the population, they cooperated with the vaccination requirements of the day. And I'm delighted that they did. I've lived a very healthy life, probably at least in part due to that.

The shingles vaccine is another story. Although from what I've heard, shingles is a very unpleasant disease to get, it isn't smallpox. The vaccine is completely optional. If a person is convinced that it sounds like a good idea, and like the odds, they should get it. Otherwise, nobody has to.

For some reason, there seems to be an idea among some on this forum, that the medical profession is full of greedy charlatans who are trying their darndest to palm off useless (or dangerous) drugs on the public, in order to fatten their own wallets. While I don't think the drug industry is necessarily composed of angels, I do trust the opinions of my dearly loved family physician and his nurse. They are not "sellng" me anything; they just want to keep me healthy.
I never said a smallpox vaccination was a bad idea. I merely described my particular situation that caused me not to get one.
Your misinterpretation is due to your density. And my use of the word "density" is not insulting, it is accurate.

Pauline, I just read an item the other day that said you can't get the flu from a flu shot. That's because they don't use a live virus, which is what would be needed to give you the flu. You probably get some sort of reaction or side effect, but it isn't the flu. That's what the experts say about it, anyway.

I didnt get the flu right after the shot which was in September and october. Each time I got sick was in January and Feburary. And it was the flu. The doctor did the culture 3 years in a row and put me on that flu pill and something else. I dont remember whats it called. But it was the flu so it did not prevent me from getting it.

When I was 9, my mom was taking me to Europe with her to meet my aunts & uncles. I was supposed to get a smallpox vaccine before the trip but I fainted & the doctor sent us home.
Jesus man, that's because everybody else got the vaccine so there was nobody to catch it from!

I didnt get the flu right after the shot which was in September and october. Each time I got sick was in January and Feburary. And it was the flu. The doctor did the culture 3 years in a row and put me on that flu pill and something else. I dont remember whats it called. But it was the flu so it did not prevent me from getting it.
Maybe Tamiflu? It was heavily advertised a couple of years ago but I haven't heard anything since then.

For several years, my sister & I had discussions about the flu shot because we're both diabetic & that's usually given as a reason to get it due to "Preexisting condition = higher risk." I've never had a flu shot. She got a flu shot every year & was bedridden for 1-2 weeks after each one. Finally, she told her doctor, "No more." She hasn't been sick in 3 years. Maybe some people's immune system doesn't like to be messed with.

OTOH, the vaccines against smallpox, diphtheria, measles, shingles, and other infectious diseases seem to work pretty well. The tetanus one works, but has to be repeated after 10 years. Others, like the flu shot, only partially work the year they are given, because the flu virus keeps mutating.

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this problem. Scientists are working days and night to try to find at least a way of slowing it down. And they will keep testing, studying, and improving the vaccine as time goes on. That's how medical science works.
This virus is also mutating.

I never said a smallpox vaccination was a bad idea. I merely described my particular situation that caused me not to get one.
Your misinterpretation is due to your density. And my use of the word "density" is not insulting, it is accurate.

Well, I guess a dense brain is better than a porous one.

In your own post #32, you said, and I quote,

Back