The funny sides of a failed marriage, (where the writing was already on the wall!)

grahamg

Old codger
You may have already noticed I've posted a few times on the forum about divorce and its repercussions, (often feelings run high on such a topic), but this thread is intended to be about the funny signs we should probably have noticed long before our marriage ended, that could have told us it was unlikely to last the course! :( :)

Now springing to my little mind are the routines followed in our marital home, and in a sense two people can be in the same house, and sleeping together and the rest, and yet "apart" at the same time.

I recall my then wife spending hours on whatever wifely duties it might have been in the kitchen, (I'm sure the term "wifely duties will go down well. :). ).

Meanwhile yours truly, being totally superfluous to the jobs going on around me, such as cleaning everything in sight that didn't need cleaning, (before you all jump in I was "forced" or at least to clean/hoover the carpets in the house every evening the moment I got in from work, and believe you me, you'd never find hardly a speck of anything to let you know you'd picked anything up at all, besides sucking up threads from the woollen carpets perhaps!).

What else, well I'm not sure exactly what was going on in that kitchen for so many hours, (yogurt making, occasionally jam making perhaps but the rest is a mystery), but perhaps the truth was each others company must not have been enough, so this could have had something to do with it, "and I was encouraged not to come into the kitchen to watch proceedings", so didn't obviously!!

Here come the jokes, (there may be many more to follow, (cos I've got mate who though happily married, likes to paste a great many funnies about marriage on his social media page):

Calm down.1.jpg

Whale of a time.1.jpg

Last edited:
Now for some text:
https://liahuynh.com/stop-arguing-over-small-things/

How to Stop Arguing Over the Smallest Things | Relationship Advice

"Do you ever find you and your partner arguing over the tiniest things? Something so small that a day later you don’t even remember what you fought about? Well today I’m going to talk about why this happens and how to stop doing it. So you can stop arguing over the smallest things and get on living your life! Now Arguing about small things, we have all been there. We are all there right now! And I would argue that arguments over small things are actually harder to deal with than arguments over big things. Say for example your spouse cheats on you with their coworker. There is no doubt who is at fault who needs to apologize, etc. But when it’s a small argument, its there is a difference in reality. To you, it’s a big deal but to your spouse it’s nothing. So it’s hard to get on the same page. And you end up fighting about whether or not it’s a big deal. So much of this has to do with communication, unspoken wants and needs and misguided assumptions. And I’m going to help you wade through some of this today. So let’s get started with some Do’s and Don’ts to stop arguing about the smallest things:

For the person who is angry/annoyed: Do: be mindful about when you are starting to get annoyed.​

Take a breath. When you are annoyed, I know the first thing you want to do is let it out. My advice is to slow down a little and think about what outcome you want. Don’t settle for short term gains–yelling and getting angry are short term forms of relief. However, you will end up arguing with your partner potentially for hours or days. So think about your goal.

Do: figure out why this small thing bothers you so much.​

What does this small thing symbolize? For example, I see a lot of wives who ask their husbands to run small errands while coming home from work and the husband forgets. The wife, in return, gets very angry. Why does this happen? Come to realize that the wife knew her husband was very on top of things at work but when it came to home, the husband was more relaxed. She felt that he cared less about home than work and felt less important. Less valued and ignored. So when she could communicate why it hurt her so much, the husband was more open to hearing her. When she could say “it hurts when I see you put so much energy into finishing tasks at work but you forget just a small thing for us, I feel forgotten and unimportant.”VS “you always forget. You are so irresponsible and I don’t even know why I bother asking.”Maybe you don’t want to go that deep for whatever reason, you can communicate using the lighter version:

Do: Use the sandwich method.​

The sandwich method is simply two sides of bread which is positive, and the meat which is your ask. I simple template like this can be used: First part: “I appreciate that you ______________ (made dinner for the kids)“or “I know that you ___________________(are exhausted from working 12 hour days)”Second part:“I’d love it if you could remember to put the milk away. I don’t want it to spoil and not having to see it out and worry about it would really just make things easier for me.” Third Part:I know you do a lot for us, so doing this one other small thing would really help.

Do: Be mindful of your tone.​

So much of our communication is body language and tone of voice. If you come to your partner with a negative tone, your spouse is likely to be defensive and not give you the listening ear and validation that you need. Sometimes just reminding yourself that your spouse in general is a good person, a good partner, and all the things that you are grateful for can help calm you down so you can communicate in a constructive way.

For the receiver of the complaint:

Do: Take the ask seriously.​

Maybe the issue is small to you but it probably has a deeper meaning for your spouse. Don’t ever assume that this is an issue about “going to the grocery store.” Ninety nine percent of the time, there’s something else underneath. So if for your spouse you keep forgetting to go to the grocery store, basically you are telling her over and over again” you are not important.” and this erodes trust in the relationship. On the other hand, you just remembering to do the little things makes a huge difference. It shows you value your spouse, it shows you understand what is important and you are taking it seriously and not blowing it off. You will come across as dependable and trustworthy. And this is for doing the small things.

Don’t: tell your partner that they get mad about “the littlest things.”​

Or that they get angry over things that “aren’t important.” Maybe it is important to them. Your partner is not you and does not hold everything that you hold important and unimportant in the same way. Try to understand why things are important and try to come up with a compromise that will help your partner be heard and understood. If you can do this, this will build trust, and they are likely to loosen up their expectations as well.

Do: Validate, own up to your mistake and fix it.​

A simple “oh shoot, I forgot, sorry about that, I’ll go right now. I’ll try to remember next time by setting an alarm on my phone.” Takes about 30 seconds to say but can prevent hours worth of arguing.

Do: look to make permanent changes.​

Do not do it for a few weeks until you’re in your partner’s good graces again and then go back to what you did before. This will erode trust in your relationship. Make your best effort to do it for good. If you cannot, talk to your partner about why and come up with a good compromise.

For the person who is angry/annoyed:

Do: look for progress, not perfection. If you see that your partner is genuinely trying, give them some grace to mess up from time to time. Understand that (like I said above), what is important to you may not be important to them, so give them some time to adjust and build a new habit. "

@grahamg, how are you today? Off the top of my head, I would say unhappy, lonely and sad. You should be happy! Be out there in the world spending time with family and freinds. Looking for the next Mrs. Graham. You are to special to waste your time on topics that are of no benefit to you,

Yes, married couples do argue/fight. Normal thing for most. They also know they are just having a bad day and are throwing that to the spouse. If there is no real problem both should recognize it, apologize. Move on to a happier day or night.

I spent most of my evenings in the kitchen. Making a nice meal for my family. My husband was at the kitchen table talking about our days at work, our child and things that were coming up on the schedule. He also spent many a day or evening cooking. I miss those days when he would buy a whole chicken and break it down. (I still have not done that) He would make the fried chicken and I would do the sides, I would do the dishes and more often than not he was standing behind me, his arms about my waist (i had one back then) lifting my hair and kissing my neck.

All of this can be yours but you need to get out there and find it.

Every couple that’s been married for a significant amount of time is always asked the same question: What’s the secret to a happy marriage? There’s the traditional advice like “never go to bed angry,” and the classic reminder that marriage requires compromise. But in order to live happily ever after, your marriage must be a happy one, filled with the kind of deep passion and radical acceptance that cultivates a blissful bond between two people. Of course, no marriage is happy all the time, but by focusing on your partner’s strengths and expressing your love and appreciation every day, you’ll be celebrating 50 years of wedded bliss in no time.

To celebrate the joys of marriage, check out the best happy marriage quotes of all time. These are happy marriage quotes from literature, film, comedians, and celebrities.
  1. “A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.” —André Maurois
  2. “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife.” —Franz Schubert
  3. “Sensual pleasures have the fleeting brilliance of a comet; a happy marriage has the tranquility of a lovely sunset.” —Ann Landers
  4. “To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.” —Mark Twain
  5. “I love being married. It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” —Rita Rudner
  6. “The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they're right if you love to be with them all the time.” —Julia Child
  7. “Marriage is like watching the color of leaves in the fall; ever changing and more stunningly beautiful with each passing day.” —Fawn Weaver
  8. “The highest happiness on earth is marriage.” —William Lyon Phelps
  9. “Marriage is a risk; I think it’s a great and glorious risk, as long as you embark on the adventure in the same spirit.” —Cate Blanchett
  10. “A good marriage is one where each partner secretly suspects they got the better deal.” —Unknown
  11. “To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow—this is a human offering that can border on miraculous.” —Elizabeth Gilbert
  12. "Marriage is like a graph—it has its ups and downs and as long as things bounce back up again, you’ve got a good marriage. If it heads straight down, then you’ve got some problems!" —Julie Andrews
  13. “We have a couple of rules in our relationship. The first rule is that I make her feel like she’s getting everything. The second rule is that I actually do let her have her way in everything. And, so far, it’s working.” —Justin Timberlake
  14. “I got gaps; you got gaps; we fill each other’s gaps...Love is absolute loyalty. People fade, looks fade, but loyalty never fades. You can depend so much on certain people; you can set your watch by them. And that’s love, even if it doesn’t seem very exciting." —Sylvester Stallone
  15. "A simple 'I love you' means more than money." —Frank Sinatra

In my 30's, I saw the writing on the wall before I got married. But I wasn't smart enough to acknowledge it.
When I asked my (then) fiancée why she was so flirty with other men, she said, "Well, you haven't married me, have you?"
After I married her & she continued being flirty (and cheating on me), I wised up, dumped her & learned to recognize BS when I hear it.
I also learned something else: "Once a sleazebag, always a sleazebag."

Last edited:
In my 30's, I saw the writing on the wall before I got married. But I wasn't smart enough to acknowledge it.
When I asked my (then) fiancée why she was so flirty with other men, she said, "Well, you haven't married me, have you?"
After I married her & she continued being flirty (and cheating on me), I wised up, dumped her & learned to recognize BS when I hear it.
Flirty ones can be fun can't they, their allure being such an intrinsic part of their make up it can be hard to understand that fully, and a good friend of mine once tried to tell me a flirty woman I'd fallen for who was giving me the runaround would be behaving differently, should she meet someone she felt more right for her!
(BTW, anyone thinking my posting threads like this one is a bad idea, or I should move on in the direction of sunlit uplands, this small discussion is reward enough for me so far as my starting the thread, and I assert my right to live as I choose, "right or wrong" in any case! :) )

Every couple that’s been married for a significant amount of time is always asked the same question: What’s the secret to a happy marriage? There’s the traditional advice like “never go to bed angry,” and the classic reminder that marriage requires compromise. But in order to live happily ever after, your marriage must be a happy one, filled with the kind of deep passion and radical acceptance that cultivates a blissful bond between two people. Of course, no marriage is happy all the time, but by focusing on your partner’s strengths and expressing your love and appreciation every day, you’ll be celebrating 50 years of wedded bliss in no time.

To celebrate the joys of marriage, check out the best happy marriage quotes of all time. These are happy marriage quotes from literature, film, comedians, and celebrities.
  1. “A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.” —André Maurois
  2. “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife.” —Franz Schubert
  3. “Sensual pleasures have the fleeting brilliance of a comet; a happy marriage has the tranquility of a lovely sunset.” —Ann Landers
  4. “To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.” —Mark Twain
  5. “I love being married. It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” —Rita Rudner
  6. “The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they're right if you love to be with them all the time.” —Julia Child
  7. “Marriage is like watching the color of leaves in the fall; ever changing and more stunningly beautiful with each passing day.” —Fawn Weaver
  8. “The highest happiness on earth is marriage.” —William Lyon Phelps
  9. “Marriage is a risk; I think it’s a great and glorious risk, as long as you embark on the adventure in the same spirit.” —Cate Blanchett
  10. “A good marriage is one where each partner secretly suspects they got the better deal.” —Unknown
  11. “To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow—this is a human offering that can border on miraculous.” —Elizabeth Gilbert
  12. "Marriage is like a graph—it has its ups and downs and as long as things bounce back up again, you’ve got a good marriage. If it heads straight down, then you’ve got some problems!" —Julie Andrews
  13. “We have a couple of rules in our relationship. The first rule is that I make her feel like she’s getting everything. The second rule is that I actually do let her have her way in everything. And, so far, it’s working.” —Justin Timberlake
  14. “I got gaps; you got gaps; we fill each other’s gaps...Love is absolute loyalty. People fade, looks fade, but loyalty never fades. You can depend so much on certain people; you can set your watch by them. And that’s love, even if it doesn’t seem very exciting." —Sylvester Stallone
  15. "A simple 'I love you' means more than money." —Frank Sinatra
Some great advice there, and I especially liked these two:

• “I love being married. It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” —Rita Rudner
  • “A good marriage is one where each partner secretly suspects they got the better deal.” —Unknown
A happily married mate I keep referring to never leaves off putting all kinds of humourous though fairly cynical posts on his social media site, including many like this one:

marriage rules.1.jpg

From my own experiences, having been married three times, I have to blame the failed marriages on myself. I chose the wrong men. In the beginning of all three relationships, it was good and I was happy. So I don't have the same experiences you or what anyone else had. Each one is unique for us all.

In my first marriage and last one, there was no fighting and arguing at all. My second marriage there was a bit of that because my husband was an alcoholic. He would argue often and if I stood my ground he'd get loud. I was at the point of not wanting that life since I didn't even drink. Even our marriage counselor kept telling me to leave.

My last marriage, I tried to get my husband to work with me to do something about all our debt. I wanted to do the "snowball" method of paying credit cards down. He'd get mad and just walk out of the room. He did not fight and argue about it. Just not talk. When I told him I was leaving, then he wanted to talk about it. It was too late.

From my own experiences, having been married three times, I have to blame the failed marriages on myself. I chose the wrong men. In the beginning of all three relationships, it was good and I was happy. So I don't have the same experiences you or what anyone else had. Each one is unique for us all. (Break)
My last marriage, I tried to get my husband to work with me to do something about all our debt. I wanted to do the "snowball" method of paying credit cards down. He'd get mad and just walk out of the room. He did not fight and argue about it. Just not talk. When I told him I was leaving, then he wanted to talk about it. It was too late.
Three times definitely shows pluck, (though blaming yourself, and at the same time them for being the "wrong men" amused me a little! :whistle:).

@grahamg, how are you today? Off the top of my head, I would say unhappy, lonely and sad. You should be happy! Be out there in the world spending time with family and freinds. Looking for the next Mrs. Graham. You are to special to waste your time on topics that are of no benefit to you,

Yes, married couples do argue/fight. Normal thing for most. They also know they are just having a bad day and are throwing that to the spouse. If there is no real problem both should recognize it, apologize. Move on to a happier day or night.

I spent most of my evenings in the kitchen. Making a nice meal for my family. My husband was at the kitchen table talking about our days at work, our child and things that were coming up on the schedule. He also spent many a day or evening cooking. I miss those days when he would buy a whole chicken and break it down. (I still have not done that) He would make the fried chicken and I would do the sides, I would do the dishes and more often than not he was standing behind me, his arms about my waist (i had one back then) lifting my hair and kissing my neck.

All of this can be yours but you need to get out there and find it.
I think this is wonderful advice, especially for graham. I feel sad for him that he's so attached to the past. I hope he can find a happy future for himself.

I concur but I was naive enough to think love conquers all, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Back