The future of Man, the species............................

senile1

Since it's beginning the earth's physical and atmospheric makeup
has been in a constant state of evolution. There have been ice ages and periods
of warming, as well periods of higher and/or lower oxygen content. There have
been volcano's and earthquakes(far exceeding anything we experience today),as
well asteroids impacting the earth, and this all has served to change earths
makeup allowing for the existence of differing life forms, and when they have
reached their potential, send them into extinction, paving the way for a species
more suitable for the changing environment. What we have over looked is that the
earth itself has a lifespan, does that mean the end of mankind as we know it
,opening the door for a more advanced species? Is earth just a starting point
for the human race, is man's future out amongst the stars living in self
sustainable colonies??? According to a study published in September, the earth
can support life for another 1.75 billion years providing nuclear holocaust, an
asteroid ,or some other disaster doesn't intervene. Stephen Hawkins(a noted
theoretical physicist) said in a a lecture on black holes for BBC such a
disaster is imminent ,that it is but a matter of time and we must tread lightly
for it will be at least a hundred years before we have advanced to such
capabilities technologically. Even if there appears no disasters the earth will
in the next 1.75 -3.25 billion years travel out of the solar systems habitable
zone into the hot zone. Is colonizing space the first stage to extinction of
mankind as we know it, allowing for a human species more suitable for life
amongst the cosmos???

Your views please........

Colonizing space was an idea that came along -- oh, 100 years ago or more, maybe? with Jules Verne, et al., I think. Continued through the Space Age.

My views are that the world is not billions of years old; whether or not it will be here for billions of years is not up to me, so I am not concerned about it. I believe God created the heavens and the earth in 6 24-hour days and that He's got the whole thing in His hands, including all of us, and, as Jesus said, it's not for us to know the timing -- that's in God's hands too. I'm not worrying about the future of "Man" or of woman. ;)

Now I'm gonna go clean my apartment because that is in MY hands. :)

Humanity doesn't need to wait for a natural event for it's next major crisis...people are creating a doomsday scenario all by themselves. Overpopulation is the most pressing crisis that will be faced...and probably before this century is out. Already, almost 2 billion live in abject poverty, with minimal food, and limited availability to clean water. Couple that with Climate Change, and Automation...which is taking over more and more good jobs, and half the planets population may well be living a substandard existence within a very few more decades. In the late 1990's, the UN commissioned a study which placed the maximum sustainable human population at less than 6 billion. We are well over 7 billion now, will reach 9 billion by 2050, and potentially 12 billion by 2200. When half the population is starving, while the other half is living decently, all Hell is going to break loose. If I had seen this coming years ago, I would have remained celibate...and not been responsible for grandkids and beyond that may well face issues we can only imagine.

Years ago, there was a symposium of academics and futurists who gathered in Switzerland to forecast the future. Their conclusion was that humanity would face one more World War...and this time it would not be nations against nations, but rather the Haves, vs. the Have Not's...would the Haves run out of bullets before the Have Not's run out of bodies. If the Haves win, humanity would unite under one global government and language, etc., and begin a serious reach for the stars. If the Have Not's prevail, humanity will return to the Dark Ages. Ridiculous as this may sound to many people, the evidence to support this theory is growing all around us. I'm not religious, in the formal sense, but the Biblical predictions of Armageddon seem more possible with every passing year.

I have to go along with Guitarist on this one, and for years I have been an adherent of the Biblical narrative. My views are based on the prophesies of the Bible, and probably are too detailed to outline here.

First, it seems that next on the prophetic calendar is the attack on Israel, as outlined in Psalm 83, which I hope you will read with a good Biblical dictionary in hand. The countries named of course, are Muslim, and the names of countries mentioned are today known by other names. Israel will win this attack.

What follows after that, and over what period of time is subject to much debate, even among biblical scholars. Many books of the Bible, such as Ezekiel, Daniel, Revelation, and others outline the varies scenarios that will follow. I will not outline here what all of these will be.

You may be also interested in what Isaac Newton concluded about the number of years before the earth as we know it will end. (that is, the "time of the Gentiles" and the return of Jesus Christ). I'm interested in Newton, or course, because he was a great scientist and a student of the bible. Of course, no one knows the time or the end and its foolish to make predictions, but Newton came to the conclusion, based on calculations he made from scripture, that its about 2060. Normally, I would dismiss any person who made a claim as this. But Newton was not just any person.

The Christian Bible is a literary work of art, unless you add the first testament based on the Jewish Bible, of less than 2,000 years old. Tis a work by man based upon his philosophical belief, no different than the Torah or Quran. There is scientific evidence of the age of the universe and /or the planet, whilst the existence of a creator is but a theory, which can neither be proven/ disproven. This is not to say a "higher power" does not exists, but the existence of one is unknowable on our present plane of existence. The human species was/ is by design, the most potentially advanced , intellectually and physically, species to appear on earth, which has evolved to effect his/her environment as no species before him. Argue as one may, these "facts" cannot be refuted . Using religion and the existence of a creator, is only to theorize.

Humanity doesn't need to wait for a natural event for it's next major crisis...people are creating a doomsday scenario all by themselves. Overpopulation is the most pressing crisis that will be faced...and probably before this century is out. Already, almost 2 billion live in abject poverty, with minimal food, and limited availability to clean water. Couple that with Climate Change, and Automation...which is taking over more and more good jobs, and half the planets population may well be living a substandard existence within a very few more decades. In the late 1990's, the UN commissioned a study which placed the maximum sustainable human population at less than 6 billion. We are well over 7 billion now, will reach 9 billion by 2050, and potentially 12 billion by 2200. When half the population is starving, while the other half is living decently, all Hell is going to break loose. If I had seen this coming years ago, I would have remained celibate...and not been responsible for grandkids and beyond that may well face issues we can only imagine.

Years ago, there was a symposium of academics and futurists who gathered in Switzerland to forecast the future. Their conclusion was that humanity would face one more World War...and this time it would not be nations against nations, but rather the Haves, vs. the Have Not's...would the Haves run out of bullets before the Have Not's run out of bodies. If the Haves win, humanity would unite under one global government and language, etc., and begin a serious reach for the stars. If the Have Not's prevail, humanity will return to the Dark Ages. Ridiculous as this may sound to many people, the evidence to support this theory is growing all around us. I'm not religious, in the formal sense, but the Biblical predictions of Armageddon seem more possible with every passing year.

Mother nature has a way of trimming the population, called plagues, virus', earthquates....ect..ect.... and I believe there will be a few castastrophes which will serve to reduce world populations. I also believe, with the overpopulation and lack of ability to sustain this population, man will put more emphasize on colonization of other planets ,as well the development of artificial environments . The physical and intellectual evolution of the species will eventually allow him to adapt to a gravity-less environment.

I think we will be around for a while yet. There will definitely be some disasters, but despite being screwed up mentally, we are a pretty clever and adaptable species. I do think that we are going down with the planet in a billion or so years. We are masters of technology, but I really think that the immensity of the space and time factors involved are going to preclude colonizing other Solar systems. Even if we succeed in colonizing our own planets, when the Sun goes, its lights out for everybody.
I agree with a great deal of Don M's post, but with the rise of the internet and globalism, our ability to unite to solve problems is growing rapidly.
I agree with Senile. Overpopulation is a self correcting phenomenon. The correction may not be pleasant but it is not going to wipe us out.
Speculating ahead billions of years can be fun, but is certainly not a worry for any of us. Despite the current news headlines, I see much hope for the near future. Except for my own!

The Christian Bible is a literary work of art, unless you add the first testament based on the Jewish Bible, of less than 2,000 years old. Tis a work by man based upon his philosophical belief, no different than the Torah or Quran. There is scientific evidence of the age of the universe and /or the planet, whilst the existence of a creator is but a theory, which can neither be proven/ disproven. This is not to say a "higher power" does not exists, but the existence of one is unknowable on our present plane of existence. The human species was/ is by design, the most potentially advanced , intellectually and physically, species to appear on earth, which has evolved to effect his/her environment as no species before him. Argue as one may, these "facts" cannot be refuted . Using religion and the existence of a creator, is only to theorize.

Not to those who believe. Facts and proofs have no meaning for people who live their lives by faith.
I agree with you, but its pointless to debate and offends people to no avail.

Humanity doesn't need to wait for a natural event for it's next major crisis...people are creating a doomsday scenario all by themselves............... If I had seen this coming years ago, I would have remained celibate...and not been responsible for grandkids and beyond that may well face issues we can only imagine......

My feelings also. I only started to come to that opinion though after my kids were older (damn that biological clock!) and when they were older, I hoped that they would not have kids themselves and was actually pleased that the oldest really disliked children. When she announced she was pregnant the first time, I admit that my first feeling was irritation, although it's hard to stay irritated when that baby is finally there in your arms:love_heart:. But the fact remains that all the problems mentioned in the comments here will still be issues that they are going to struggle against.

In order for our species to survive, we have got to change how we raise our children. As a parent and grandparent, I am extremely worried about our youth and what we are exposing them to.

Consider these facts:

The average child spends 25 hours a week watching television, and it is estimated that by the time an average child leaves elementary school, he or she will have witnessed 8,000 murders and over 100,000 other acts of violence. By the time that child is 18 years-of-age; he or she will witness 200,000 acts of violence, including 40,000 murders.[8] One 17-year longitudinal study concluded that teens who watched more than one hour of TV a day were almost four times as likely as other teens to commit aggressive acts in adulthood.

A study published in 2002 in the journal SCIENCE, found that teenagers and young adults who watch more than one hour of television daily are more likely to commit violent crimes and other forms of aggressive behavior.” This study, led by Jeffrey G. Johnson of Columbia University and the New York State Psychiatric Institute, followed children in 707 families in two counties in northern New York state for 17 years. Adolescents and young adults who watched television for more than seven hours per week had an increased likelihood of between 16 and 20 percent of committing an aggressive act in later years. And yet the movie industry tries to justify their violence. Parents continue to tuck violent, graphic video games like Mortal Kombat, Call of Duty and Splatterhouse underneath the tree for our children as gifts at Christmas.

How can that not be desensitizing our children to the horror of death? More Americans should take heed of the Biblical admonition: Galatians 6:7 says this: Do not be deceived and deluded and misled; God will not allow Himself to be sneered at, scorned, disdained, or mocked, by mere pretensions or professions, or by His precepts being set aside. He inevitably deludes himself who attempts to delude God. For whatever a man sows, that and that only is what he will reap. America has ignored this warning and taken God out of the public sector and the schools.

We need a great awakening in our country, and bring the Bible back into the public schools. When I was in high school, we had a 15 minute devotion before school started and each student was asked to lead the devotion for one week. My history teacher sponsored the activity and she was also a Sunday School teacher in my church. In our school, there was no writing on the walls, no paper on the floor of the bathroom, no profanity in the halls, and everyone applauded when a teacher spoke at an assembly. I wish those days would come back.

Not to those who believe. Facts and proofs have no meaning for people who live their lives by faith.
I agree with you, but its pointless to debate and offends people to no avail.

That is the basic point of religion, tis about faith. For the sake of conversation, let's say there is a creator , and a Heaven , as well a Hell. If everyone knew for certain the existence of a Deity, nobody is going to desire an eternity in Hell, so from where comes life's lessons?? What would even be the purpose of life??

That is the basic point of religion, tis about faith. For the sake of conversation, let's say there is a creator , and a Heaven , as well a Hell. If everyone knew for certain the existence of a Deity, nobody is going to desire an eternity in Hell, so from where comes life's lessons?? What would even be the purpose of life??

An eternity in Heaven would be as bad as one in Hell. Life's lessons are learned through our unique individual experiences. We all graduate from an exclusive school with a student body of one. The purpose of life is simply to create more life. We are here because of a momentary act of our parents. The "meaning" of life is a construct of the human mind and is whatever we choose to make of it. Making the passage through easier and happier for our fellow travelers seems like a worth while reason for living. Just my own personal conclusions.

The biblical message takes issue with your thoughts on the "meaning of life". I am sorry for anyone who thinks that the events of life are random and life is more or less a "duck in a pond, hit or miss" situation. I have some good news for anyone who is willing to take an open minded view of what God has said about a life that seems to take on a "roll with the punches" attitude and that we have no real control on what happenstances come our way.

Listen to this:
... and he made of one every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed seasons, and the bounds of their habitation; 27 that they should seek God, if haply they might feel after him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. (Acts 16:26,27)

This is terrific news that just blows my mind! Allow me to give an interpretation to this:

God placed each of us into the location of where we are, the time frame we were born in, and the race, genes, gender, etc of all that make us into the person we are. Nothing is random with God. He knew us, he knew our moods, our emotional makeup, our tendencies and everything else about us. He also knew what influences served as the greatest catalyst for increasing the probability that we would seek Him out and come into His kingdom.

That's amazing news! Just think about that, let it sink in and see if your attitude improves. I don't mean to insult you, but it is my prayer that if you meditate upon that, your outlook on life will improve. Also remember that God has given a promise and He will stake His reputation upon it. It is this: If you seek to observe to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, His judgments, and His testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, you will prosper in all that you do. (1 Kings 2,3)

Mother nature has a way of trimming the population, called plagues, virus', earthquates....ect..ect.... and I believe there will be a few castastrophes which will serve to reduce world populations. I also believe, with the overpopulation and lack of ability to sustain this population, man will put more emphasize on colonization of other planets ,as well the development of artificial environments . The physical and intellectual evolution of the species will eventually allow him to adapt to a gravity-less environment.

Humans may eventually colonize other planets....hundreds/thousands of years into the future. First, however, a new means of propulsion must be found...similar to the Star Trek "Warp Drive". The distances in space are far too vast to traverse with known means. If you look outdoors, the sunlight you see left the sun 8 minutes ago. The Hubble telescope is seeing light from stars that left those stars billions of years ago. The few potential life sustaining planets that have been discovered so far would require generations to reach.

First, however, humans must solve the "people" problems that seem determined to destroy life on this planet.

Long ago I decided to leave theology for the theologians. I wanted a way to live, a purpose. I found it through serving others. My religion is kindness. It works for me. Organised religion did not, and I was raised in the church, until I left at fifteen. I was

raised in The United Church Of Canada, a gentle, inclusive, and very socially active church, but still, I could not believe. I am content with the path I have chosen, and I respect those whose path is different from mine. Namaste.

Long ago I decided to leave theology for the theologians. I wanted a way to live, a purpose. I found it through serving others. My religion is kindness. It works for me. Organised religion did not, and I was raised in the church, until I left at fifteen. I was

raised in The United Church Of Canada, a gentle, inclusive, and very socially active church, but still, I could not believe. I am content with the path I have chosen, and I respect those whose path is different from mine. Namaste.

I agree with you completely, Shali. A good way to go. I was baptized a Methodist, but confirmed a Congregationalist which merged and became the United Church of Christ in the US. Ours too, was a warm, loving community. I was its Senior Deacon at one point and we were quite active until we moved to the suburbs. My interests in science and history and what extremism has done to the church no longer allow me to believe.

In order for our species to survive, we have got to change how we raise our children. As a parent and grandparent, I am extremely worried about our youth and what we are exposing them to.

Consider these facts:

The average child spends 25 hours a week watching television, and it is estimated that by the time an average child leaves elementary school, he or she will have witnessed 8,000 murders and over 100,000 other acts of violence. By the time that child is 18 years-of-age; he or she will witness 200,000 acts of violence, including 40,000 murders.[8] One 17-year longitudinal study concluded that teens who watched more than one hour of TV a day were almost four times as likely as other teens to commit aggressive acts in adulthood.

A study published in 2002 in the journal SCIENCE, found that teenagers and young adults who watch more than one hour of television daily are more likely to commit violent crimes and other forms of aggressive behavior.” This study, led by Jeffrey G. Johnson of Columbia University and the New York State Psychiatric Institute, followed children in 707 families in two counties in northern New York state for 17 years. Adolescents and young adults who watched television for more than seven hours per week had an increased likelihood of between 16 and 20 percent of committing an aggressive act in later years. And yet the movie industry tries to justify their violence. Parents continue to tuck violent, graphic video games like Mortal Kombat, Call of Duty and Splatterhouse underneath the tree for our children as gifts at Christmas.

How can that not be desensitizing our children to the horror of death? More Americans should take heed of the Biblical admonition: Galatians 6:7 says this: Do not be deceived and deluded and misled; God will not allow Himself to be sneered at, scorned, disdained, or mocked, by mere pretensions or professions, or by His precepts being set aside. He inevitably deludes himself who attempts to delude God. For whatever a man sows, that and that only is what he will reap. America has ignored this warning and taken God out of the public sector and the schools.

We need a great awakening in our country, and bring the Bible back into the public schools. When I was in high school, we had a 15 minute devotion before school started and each student was asked to lead the devotion for one week. My history teacher sponsored the activity and she was also a Sunday School teacher in my church. In our school, there was no writing on the walls, no paper on the floor of the bathroom, no profanity in the halls, and everyone applauded when a teacher spoke at an assembly. I wish those days would come back.

For you this is very truth. For me its hearsay. As I said to Senile earlier, there is no point in arguing facts and proof against faith. I have no desire to offend anyone. Please do not feel sorry for me. I am quite happy with my view. I have had a wonderful life. Looking forward to a long nap when its over. Peace to you.

Humans may eventually colonize other planets....hundreds/thousands of years into the future. First, however, a new means of propulsion must be found...similar to the Star Trek "Warp Drive". The distances in space are far too vast to traverse with known means. If you look outdoors, the sunlight you see left the sun 8 minutes ago. The Hubble telescope is seeing light from stars that left those stars billions of years ago. The few potential life sustaining planets that have been discovered so far would require generations to reach.

First, however, humans must solve the "people" problems that seem determined to destroy life on this planet.

I agree completely.

We all will be eaten by zombies, I've seen the previews on TV.

Seriously though...in answer to your question:

senile1 said:
Is colonizing space the first stage to extinction of
mankind as we know it, allowing for a human species more suitable for life
amongst the cosmos???

I think the human species will be altered, probably both by DNA enhancements and with synthetically derived components. By these means, the human species will survive, and thus be able to explore the cosmos.

We all will be eaten by zombies, I've seen the previews on TV.

Seriously though...in answer to your question:

I think the human species will be altered, probably both by DNA enhancements and with synthetically derived components. By these means, the human species will survive, and thus be able to explore the cosmos.

I like your first answer Thomas. Its as good a guess as any. :zombie:

Back