The heir to the UK throne needs a few pounds????

Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan of Sussex came back from their royal time-off with a big announcement: They're stepping down from their senior royal roles and plan to spend more time in North America.

"We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen,

I admit I'm not a royal watcher. But maybe a Brit can tell me why the heir to the UK throne needs to clip coupons to get buy. I was under the impression he received a salary fromthe Queen, and also from the government, for his needs. And I'm amazed he's going to get money from us Yanks?

He's not trying to 'get' money, he says he wants to Earn it. He is a very qualified individual on several fronts.

Seems weird though. He married a divorced woman, just like the King who abdicated. And, Harry is not at the front of the queue to be heir to the throne. A disaster would have to hit, in fact.

Prince Harry is not the heir to the throne. Prince Charles is the heir, then will come Prince William and his sons. Unless they are all killed (which could happen if they continue to travel together), Prince Harry doesn't get a look in.

No, George and Charles are on a step higher from the Queen and William. It's hard to see, I read an article about it. That photo will be used for a stamp and the photographer needed all four to fit into the stamp parameters.
Yes, I see that looking closely. You're as sharp eyed as a cat!

Unless other changes have been made, if Charles dies
before the Queen, then guess who is next in line?

Andrew is o_O

Mike.
No.
"If Prince Charles dies before becoming king, then Prince William becomes heir. No. If Charles dies before the Queen, the crown would go to William, because he's Charles' oldest male child. At one time, Andrew was in line immediately after Charles, but only until Charles had children."
Gasp. You should know better Mike!

This is what The Cheat Sheet says =

Who will be king if Prince Charles dies before the queen?
If Prince Charles dies before the queen, many speculate his brother, Prince Andrew will become king. However, that is not entirely true. While anything is possible, the line of succession won’t change should Prince Charles die before the queen. That means, Prince William will take his father’s place as heir apparent and become King of England once the queen passes or steps down from her role (another possibility, according to The Sun).
Should Prince Charles die before the queen and Prince William become the heir apparent, a few things will change. For one, the queen could name Prince William the Prince of Wales. Prince of Wales is an official royal family title that marks the ranking of an heir apparent in the royal family. However, out of respect for his father, Prince William and the queen could forgo the title change.
In addition to becoming the Prince of Wales, the heir apparent also receives a new dukedom and changes his title to the Duke of Cornwall. However, is Prince Charles dies before the queen, Prince William won’t. The Duke of Cornwall title is reserved for the monarch’s eldest son, so if Prince Charles never becomes king, Prince William won’t become Duke of Cornwall.

... Oh, so many titles! ...
iu

I admit I'm not a royal watcher. But maybe a Brit can tell me why the heir to the UK throne needs to clip coupons to get buy. I was under the impression he received a salary fromthe Queen, and also from the government, for his needs. And I'm amazed he's going to get money from us Yanks?

Harry is only number 6 in line. The queen gives a salary only if they perform ''royal duties''. She can also give them an allowance if she wants to. Harry has plenty of money from Diana and will get more from Charles when he passes and also, Meghan was an actress, she must have some wealth. But, considering how they're used to a high style of living and now having a child, they'll need a LOT of money to live on.

why the heir to the UK throne needs to clip coupons to get buy. I was under the impression he received a salary fromthe Queen, and also from the government, for his needs. And I'm amazed he's going to get money from us Yanks?
I don't know what you mean. Where do you see he will be getting money from us Yanks?

They're independently wealthy and the inference is that not only will they still work for the crown, they'll be working on their own, too.

I had a feeling they'd end up in either Africa or North America.

It's not just "the boys" anymore!
Makes me think the Queen still gives them an allowance.
I read that the Queen gets a percentage of something (GDP?). So, if there's a recession she gets less, if its a banner year for tourists etc she gets more. From that she pays her bills and other stuff, such as allowances to her family.

Back