The indignity of turning 76

I'll be 79 next month.

During the night I woke up to a sound I didn't recognize. 🤨
Finally decided it was myself,, snoring like my grandfather!

What the heck,,my writing is like my dad's !
When I wear a ball cap,, I Look like my dad!

Does that mean,, I 'might' live to be 100?

Dad was few a months short of 101 when he died.🧑‍🦰
Sure, why not? 🤣

Today I had the most helpless feeling trying to renew my driving licence. The government have taken over. It's official - they have taken over my life. I drive a car and suddenly because I’d turned 76, I need an ok from my doctor and an okay from my eye doctor. I got hot and bothered to say the least . How dare they take away my power just because I’m getting older. These hoops to jump through in Australia will continue every year after you turn 75, both doctor and optometrist need to sign off before you are eligible for a new driving licence. Can’t explain the fury, it’s overwhelming.
After seeing how some older folks drive that shouldn't even be on the road I would rather they make sure someone can manage to drive correctly rather than having to call the police because someone can't see a full size auto coming at them and they pull out in front of you and nearly cause an accident. It's for everyone's safety. They're not doing it to be hurtful.

Here I have to get a new licence every 3 years after I reached
70, because I have lorry, mini-bus, plus trailer, I have had to
get a medical every time and I have to pay for it, last time my
licence was returned valid for only 1 year, I contacted them to
ask why, I ticked a wrong box, then I was told that for the type
of licence I had, I didn't need a medical every time, it would be
renewed without one.

Mike.
Interesting, thanks Mike

Today I had the most helpless feeling trying to renew my driving licence. The government have taken over. It's official - they have taken over my life. I drive a car and suddenly because I’d turned 76, I need an ok from my doctor and an okay from my eye doctor. I got hot and bothered to say the least . How dare they take away my power just because I’m getting older. These hoops to jump through in Australia will continue every year after you turn 75, both doctor and optometrist need to sign off before you are eligible for a new driving licence. Can’t explain the fury, it’s overwhelming.
That's agism and bigotry on the part of the government. Here in the US I would take it to the Civil Liberties Union.

Right with ya, Mellow Yellow! Not only all the things you mentioned but we in NM have to have a marriage certificate and divorse certificate and any name change certificate for your entire life. and WAIT! It's only going to get WORSE!

making sure it's safe for them to be on the road is better than them killing someone. i don't care who likes it or not.

i almost had some old lady drive straight into my car cuz she couldn't see me coming in broad daylight. damn near caused me to get into a wreck with another driver. i called the police on her. judas priest. if i had been a person crossing the street she would've mowed me down. if she can't see a 2700 lb car coming at her she's got no business on the road whether she thinks she's ok or not.

Last edited:
Car insurance companies usually have it in the policy that you agree to an independent medical exam at the company's expense after you've had an at- fault collision after a certain age. I forgot what the age was.

Older drivers have heart attacks or strokes while driving, forget to fasten their seat belts and can be vision impaired.

@mellowyellow, I know how you feel. We all must face these things someday and it hurts. Nevertheless, these humiliating rules are necessary to protect yourself and others. 🌹

If we could only get the drunks and the cellphone users/texters off the roads. I think they cause more damage than older drivers!

They’re not being kept from doing it (driving) because of age, it’s because they’re not capable of doing it safely.

Some places seem to test too much, others perhaps should be a little more cautious.
Kids don't drive safely. More accidents are caused by kids than by older people. My mom's driver's license was taken from her, and she was driving just fine. I didn't fight it, but I could have. After that I had to make the long trip on regular basis to help her, things she could have done herself. Her doctor was a jerk.

When my mother was in her late 80s she had to have a behind the wheel driving. I was stunned when she passed. The DMV guy winked at her and said to me, "I took care of her." I was stunned - she had become a terrible driver and I was horrified that this guy hadn't pulled her license. I felt deeply betrayed by the system.

Shortly thereafter, my brother visited from out of state and tinkered with something under her car's hood. He put a "To whom it may concern" note on the air cleaner asking that AAA or a "helpful" neighbor please not put her car in working order because it wasn't safe for her to drive. It included my phone number for any questions.

I'd already been chauffeuring her to appointments, picking up groceries, etc., and when I couldn't get there one of her friends or neighbors lent a hand. I begged her to get rid of the car, which she finally did. Such a relief to all of her children.

She understandably didn't want to give up her independence, but it was my dread fear that she'd not only get into a terrible accident, but that she'd hurt or kill someone.

I was looking on the internet for comparisons of driving restrictions on Seniors and one thing I found wrote about putting restrictions on Senior's licenses instead of taking them away, such as restricting to driving in daylight hours, restricting to driving on non-complex or slower roads, restricting to close to home, etc. I never heard of any of those restrictions, does anyone here know of any place that does that?

I was looking on the internet for comparisons of driving restrictions on Seniors and one thing I found wrote about putting restrictions on Senior's licenses instead of taking them away, such as restricting to driving in daylight hours, restricting to driving on non-complex or slower roads, restricting to close to home, etc. I never heard of any of those restrictions, does anyone here know of any place that does that?
My state leaves driving restrictions up to family or just hope common sense prevails and people realize when they need to hang up the keys. Many don't. Only do it one day after it was needed rather than one day before.

My state leaves driving restrictions up to family or just hope common sense prevails and people realize when they need to hang up the keys. Many don't. Only do it one day after it was needed rather than one day before.
People don't always listen to family members. Parents often resent their adult children for suggesting/insisting that it's time to stop driving. A neutral, independent authority like the DMV yanking their licenses might raise their ire, but it won't destroy relationships.

Back