The Pursuit of Houseplants...

Does your local garden center offer houseplant workshops to learn
about housepant care and gain further knowledge.?
I don't think so. My favorite houseplant has been cactus, they died like the rest but with a cactus it takes a long time to tell.
I grew a plant from an avocado 🥑 seed/pit.

Anyone ever?
Yep, a fun thing to do with the grandkids when they were younger.

Last edited:
I have about 8 houseplants currently positioned all over my living room and den area. I get lots of light from all the windows and big slider towards the back of my home. Have taken cutting s from my pothos to create new plants.

Disappointed that I don't have all that light in my bedroom, even though there's a slider in there. I just haven't figured it out yet on where and how to place them?????

Ferns, jade, spider plants and a new flowering azalea sit on my front porch outside.

Last edited:
We are fortunate enough to be able to search any houseplant care online so I never went to a store demo. Our local Grange is offering to plant your purchase as a way to get you into their store. I root what I can and share since Covid has driven their prices so high. We have several bonsi groups nearby which sell their plants for a high price also.

My favorite houseplant is the velvet leaf philodendron (philodendron mican) because of the colors of the leaves when the sun hits them, bronze, deep green, and red hues.

I grew a plant from an avocado 🥑 seed/pit.

Anyone ever?

Working on a few more..waiting.. taking quite a while.
Oh yes, that's a fun memory, too. I remember that I did enjoy doing that, at least 3 times or so. I haven't seen an avocado recently, or I would do it, again, for sure!;):cool::giggle:

I’ve never been to a class for houseplants. My expertise with them has come over a lifetime of trial and error!

I love plants. I decorate with them and have dozens, in every room in our house except the bathroom (interior room no windows)

My daughter and I both have green thumbs and we each propagate from existing plants and then exchange the rooted cuttings. Just the other day she asked me for a cutting from my escargot begonia so I’m currently rooting some for her. The last one she propagated for me was a monstera which started out as one small leaf, and is now threatening to take over my living room! 😂

Here is a small sampling of a few of my plants.
41C76A7E-C9B1-4903-AC20-FC93C94AA400.jpeg2EE9C078-D613-451A-A88A-FB0BFC4F9C65.jpeg15F6DEA8-7669-48F4-8687-A6CFE7AE2389.jpegE7B6B2DD-DCB7-4069-9F4C-582645C20C07.jpeg

Don't know if anyone around here does. If so I wouldn't bother to attend. I kill plants. Period! I bought a couple of plant books, did my due diligence based on the species but still managed to kill everything, even cactus and a snake plant. That is NOT supposed to happen! I would blame it on the city's hard water but my sister had a house full of gorgeous plants. Alas, my thumb will never turn green. 😞

And now that I have mischievous kitten, if I didn't kill them, she would. She turned my silk hanging plant into a carousel (swinging on it) and finally after a month or so, brought it down.

@Ronni Awesome display of foliage!

@OneEyedDiva thanks!

Y’know, Paige (daughter) used to have a black thumb too! I worked with her a bit and she got so good she had her own plant shop on Etsy!! Her house is filed with plants like mine! Her specialty is some ofnthe
More exotic varieties of Hoya. I can’t keep one alive to save my life! But she has two indoor greenhouses filled with them!!

If you need some tips I’d be happy to help!

I have both cats and plants, give the cats plenty of toys so they don't bother the plants. Drop a ping pong ball in the bath tub and watch them have fun.

Remy, if you are worried about the cats getting poisoned there are plants that are non poisonous. And poison plants I put out of reach.

One of Riley's favourites is the spider plant, fun to bat at the strands, and he does a little nibble now and then.
My tabby wouldn't bat, she'd destroy. 😺 Nothing is out of her reach, even at 12 years old. She goes on top of the kitchen cupboards and on top of the book case. She can really jump up and down.

Back