The roof is leaking

Correct me if I'm mistaken, @debodun . Haven't you hinted to us that you have, $200,000+ if it is needed to buy a new home or am I confused with all of the conflicting stories?!? I could swear you've mentioned you had $$$$$$. So, why haven't you repaired any of these disasters in your current home? And, the sooner, the better. I hope everything works out for you; I worry that your house will collapse one day. Stay safe.
That’s why she has money 😂 she’s never kept the house in repair and I doubt she can replace it due to structural issues of the whole house. She will need a structural engineer to look at it. Roofing is complicated on older houses.

My house is planked, those planks need to be removed and replaced with plywood or have plywood put on top of them. Then there is a question of the weight on the rafters which might also need to be replaced. Plus you have tio consider the snow load in a bad year. Stupid husband and stupid house, I am an innocent victim of a money pit house. 😩😭

I have money because I don't spend it. When I have to spend more than $100, My palms get sweaty, my hands shake, and get heart palpitations and physical disorientation,

Last edited:
I have money because I don't spend it. When I have to spend more than $100, My palms get sweaty, my hands shake, and get heart palpitations and physical disorientation
I can sympathize with that. I'm trying to save a little each month toward home maintenance, in the hope that if I have a pot of money earmarked for maintenance, it will be less stressful to spend it. But, my bank doesn't have the feature of having actual little pots of earmarked savings, and since it is lumped with the money for taxes and vacations, it will probably hurt to spend it.

I hope you find an affordable fix.

I always feel like I am being cheated by home maintenance contractors, so I am wary to hire any.
What's the alternative, Deb?

You have a home that's in disrepair, and now have a roof that's compromised.

You can, A, have the section of roof repaired, which IMO equates to throwing your money away foolishly, because it's just a matter of time before more leaks develop account the roof being old and in need of upgrading.

You can, B, hire a contractor to replace the roof, which IMO would make the most financial sense, both from the standpoint of keeping you dry, and protecting what's left of the home.

Or you can, C, leave the roof as is and save your money and pretend the problem doesn't exist.

It's all up to you, you ultimately are in control, but gone are the days where a dollar went farther, and gone are the days where people banned together to help those in need, i.e., working for free.

Great thread were up to 61 posts with this one.

Deb posted she would
get sweaty, my hands shake, and get heart palpitations and physical disorientation,

No one wants to know an older woman would get heart palpitations and physical disorientation so hopefully estimating the high cost of the roof repair won't cause her distress.

I think it's quite likely it will be a few months before Deb is back with a new thread & pics of where black mold has begun due to the leaking roof that cost over $100.00 to repair.

I have money because I don't spend it. When I have to spend more than $100, My palms get sweaty, my hands shake, and get heart palpitations and physical disorientation,
Wow, I just bought 3 things costs 111 dollars and she forgot to give me my receipt which made me unhappy. Other than that I needed the stuff.

Wow, I just bought 3 things costs 111 dollars and she forgot to give me my receipt which made me unhappy. Other than that I needed the stuff.
I can sympathize with that. I'm trying to save a little each month toward home maintenance, in the hope that if I have a pot of money earmarked for maintenance, it will be less stressful to spend it. But, my bank doesn't have the feature of having actual little pots of earmarked savings, and since it is lumped with the money for taxes and vacations, it will probably hurt to spend it.

I hope you find an affordable fix.
There is no affordable for a roof

Great thread were up to 61 posts with this one.

Deb posted she would
get sweaty, my hands shake, and get heart palpitations and physical disorientation,

No one wants to know an older woman would get heart palpitations and physical disorientation so hopefully estimating the high cost of the roof repair won't cause her distress.

I think it's quite likely it will be a few months before Deb is back with a new thread & pics of where black mold has begun due to the leaking roof that cost over $100.00 to repair.
I think I saw in the picture there was already mold. 😂. I have heart palpitations when I don’t spend money 😂

I always feel like I am being cheated by home maintenance contractors, so I am wary to hire any.

It helps to get as many estimates as possible. I like to get at least 3, but when I had a roof put on a few years ago I managed to get 7 of them (but only 3 in person), not even considering anyone who wanted an hourly rate. Some of the estimates were 4x as high 😳 for a 30 year roof as the fellow I hired who put on a 40 year roof including plywood and he did a great job. ✌️ I'm quite frugal, but most people aren't and will just pay anything.

I just now found the contract and it was farther back than I thought, 21.5 years ago. Time sure does keep moving along and waits for no one.
The fellow who did it turned out to live right down the street from me. "Tear off existing shake roof, install 1/2" plywood, reroof with 40 year roof
with 36" felt underlayment. Replace vent, plumbing jacks and valleys, remove ALL debris from job site. Paint valley and jacks. 40 year Grand
Sequoia slate blend. $6,100 when completed." - for 1380 square foot house plus two car garage.

Last edited:
It helps to get as many estimates as possible. I like to get at least 3, but when I had a roof put on a few years ago I managed to get 7 of them (but only 3 in person), not even considering anyone who wanted an hourly rate. Some of the estimates were 4x as high 😳 for a 30 year roof as the fellow I hired who put on a 40 year roof including plywood and he did a great job. ✌️ I'm quite frugal, but most people aren't and will just pay anything.
I had several estimates on my roof, they were all around 22,000 not including the plywood on the entire roof, the facets, and the rain gutters and whatever else including the broken truss. We are in the flight path. With any luck something will fall off a plane, damage the roof, and we can sue for a replacement.

I would look for a temporary fix/patch and immediately put the property up for sale before anything else happens.

IMO the cost of a new roof will not add significantly to the selling price of the home but a discount comparable to the cost might be a selling point.
Considering the multitude of repairs Deb has posted pics of & her describing her home as a disaster before this latest, selling it will be a problem. With any luck maybe she can find someone that has cash & the ability to make all the repairs in order to flip it & make a profit. As it is the value of the land it sits on may be the only selling point she has.

I would do a temporary fix or sell the house "as is". Take the loss and move to an apartment. Better yet buy you a condo or apartment and you will always have a home. If you decide to replace the roof then get at least 3 bids and go from there. If you have mold then you are looking at possibly having to move anyway due to health issues.
I had to buy 2 new pairs of New Balance shoes for a total of $120.00. Due to a paralyzed foot they are the only ones I can wear that fit the foot. Did not bother me a bit as its my health that is at stake. Yours is at stake too, Deb, You may not have to worry about it if you have mold issues as the Health Department will have it condemned. Don't mean to scare you but I feel like you have not thought of everything.

That roof would get costly in a hurry. :(

Cost of Metal Roof Installation in New York​

$1,119.91 per 100 sq.ft (standing seam, no tear off of existing roof) (Range: $970.15 - $1,269.66)
Note, that's just putting metal over the existing roof which is not feasible in Deb's case.

From the outside, the roof looks okay in the problem area. I just wonder if the rain isn't getting in somewhere above the eave and running down underneath the shingles and pooling along the edge.

Back