The Truth About General Custer

fmdog44

No one knows but one account from a Lakota member I watched on youtube said he had one hole in his chest and one in his forehead. He had short hair and was not wearing his buckskin coat The Lakotas took nothing from his corpse because he committed suicide making him a coward and if you took from a coward you will act as one. I am guessing the short hair an absence of his buckskin coat was his idea of making the warriors believe he was not Custer. Apparently many soldiers committed suicide when they knew they had no chance of survival. Apparently there were about 7,000 Indians. This account also claims there were seven tribes total in the battles at the Little Big Horn area and four soldiers commanders.

It depends whose history you are hearing.
Everyone has their own personal perspective or their own truth.
I'm not sure the Sioux descendant's stories are correct. I have some extremely old books with accounts of the battle and they don't hold with his stories. (I grew up in Custer County)
I've always held the Sioux warriors in the highest esteem. They were handsome, proud, brave and highly evolved IMO.
I wonder why he would find it necessary to demean Custer's legacy?

I'm not sure the Sioux descendant's stories are correct. I have some extremely old books with accounts of the battle and they don't hold with his stories. (I grew up in Custer County)
I've always held the Sioux warriors in the highest esteem. They were handsome, proud, brave and highly evolved IMO.
First there were many tribes not just the Sioux as portrayed in stupid movies that engaged the troops. Some say there were seven different tribes waging war. Maybe we demean Custer because we can and rarely has anything glorifying the man been written by anyone.

I hold the Sioux warriors in the highest esteem also but I don’t really know the story since I wasn’t there. I also wonder about many history books and how accurate they are. Like; was Christopher Columbus the first person to discover America but what about the Vikings there first? Plus what about natives of the land they didn’t know about? Yes off topic somewhat. Lol
A lot of stuff is written disregarding other perspectives which lessens it’s credibility.

I hold the Sioux warriors in the highest esteem also but I don’t really know the story since I wasn’t there. I also wonder about many history books and how accurate they are. Like; was Christopher Columbus the first person to discover America but weren’t the Vikings there first? Plus what about natives of the land they didn’t know about?
A lot of stuff is written disregarding other perspectives which lessens it’s credibility.
History is complex. Children's text books simplify everything, and it's true that sometimes they flat out get it wrong or purposefully leave a bunch of stuff out, especially if it reflects poorly on the early colonists, citizens, policies and government.

Columbus wasn't the first to "discover" America, but as far as we know he was the first to proclaim it in the name of the king; as belonging to Spain. That's what that's all about....an official land-grab.

History is complex. Children's text books simplify everything, and it's true that sometimes they flat out get it wrong or purposefully leave a bunch of stuff out, especially if it reflects poorly on the early colonists, citizens, policies and government.

Columbus wasn't the first to "discover" America, but as far as we know he was the first to proclaim it in the name of the king; as belonging to Spain. That's what that's all about....an official land-grab.
An official land grab. Yes.
The reason I don’t believe a lot of history is because it’s written in a biased manner for reasons other than providing true history.
I felt sorry for the Indians.
https://www.history.com/news/little-bighorn-battle-facts-causes

Last edited:
Ancient history is largely oral and depending on how one hears it told is what we wind up with. Interpreting ancient writings is also a hit and miss situation, but we have to use some common sense in what to believe based on the environment of the day, etc. First of all, Custer was far too young to be a general for heaven's sake.

The verbal account I saw the Native Indian said it was obvious some of the soldiers shot each other so they would not be tortured. Also there were so many arrows flying many Indians were found to be killed arrows. Whatever happened I love the Old West history and all phases of it. I would not like to live in those days but I love to read about them. Wyatt Earp is one of the most interesting figures of those days.

And if you are ever in lovely Monroe, MI, you will want to visit the Custer Statue

Custer Statue

Yes, I've seen it. Custer was a West Point graduate (1861), as is my son. As I recall , Custer was last in his class, making him the class "goat".

No one knows but one account from a Lakota member I watched on youtube said he had one hole in his chest and one in his forehead. He had short hair and was not wearing his buckskin coat The Lakotas took nothing from his corpse because he committed suicide making him a coward and if you took from a coward you will act as one. I am guessing the short hair an absence of his buckskin coat was his idea of making the warriors believe he was not Custer. Apparently many soldiers committed suicide when they knew they had no chance of survival. Apparently there were about 7,000 Indians. This account also claims there were seven tribes total in the battles at the Little Big Horn area and four soldiers commanders.
This makes a whole lot more sense than the official version. Aren't they always?

Back