The unsolved disappearance of Douglas Legg

Aunt Bea

SF VIP
The disappearance of this child captivated the people of northern New York and remains unsolved.

Some people believe that it was as simple as a child getting lost and dying of exposure while others have speculated that Douglas was murdered or was taken in by a group of hippies that were camping in the area.

It is a sad story that has all the elements of a Lifetime made for television movie. The boy vanished while vacationing on his grandparent's 12,900-acre Adirondack estate. The estate was eventually purchased by New York State and is now known as the Santononi Preserve.

1607380629329.jpeg
Santanoni+Preserve
1607380837423.jpeg

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mys...legg-strange-disappearances-from-us-mountains

That poor family and what they had to go through. It must have been heartbreaking to never find an answer to what happened to the poor boy. Many years ago in 1965, my Mom's dad went missing. He was 85yrs old. We went on many search parties at all hours of the day and night. Finally a month to the day his body was found. There was no foul play, he just passed away. At least my Mom's family was able to know what happened to him and That he wasn't harmed. I feel very sorry for this young boy and his family.

So very creepy.

Been reading as many cases tied to the disappearance of Douglas Legg, that I can find.

I feel strongly foul play was involved.

Sounds like they did an extensive search for the boy at the time. I haven't read anything about an inheritance yet.
It wasn't mentioned in the website article at all.

Unfortunately, I feel that he got lost in the woods and didn't make it out.

There is the possibility that a small skull and skeleton seen near the area may have been the remains of Douglas Legg. Unfortunately a guy out hunting had not heard of the case, wasn't sure if the remains were human and should not have been in the area anyway so, decided to keep quiet. He reported the find years later when the case was again in the media, he even drove from Montana to show investigators where he had seen the remains but, by that time, there was nothing to find. I believe the area the man pinpointed was where the search dogs lost Douglas' scent. I think he wandered off the main track and got lost. Apparently the search for him was well meaning but chaotic.

Back