The Vintage Diner

NancyNGA

The Railway Car Style Diner

"A true 'diner' is a prefabricated structure built at an assembly site and transported to a permanent location for installation to serve prepared food. Webster's Dictionary defines a diner as 'a restaurant in the shape of a railroad car.' The word 'diner' is a derivative of 'dining car' and diner designs reflected the styling that manufacturers borrowed from railroad dining cars. Decommissioned railroad passenger cars and trolleys were often converted into diners by those who could not afford to purchase a new diner. "

mack-diner-1-kw1.jpg

little-falls-diner-1-little-falls-nj-paterson-n-of-main-june-2007.jpg
240px-Summit_diner_1024x658.jpg

Was/is there a diner like one of these in your town?

There was one right in the middle of town in my hometown in Ohio. Never was inside, too much traffic, no place to park.:( I think it was frequented mostly by workers at a nearby factory.

We have a few that are still active. Each one has it's own personality and loyal following.

JJ's Miss Syracuse.

1986594_AjwXKZqDSU8IKp90Hhsdik12mW_hZ8mt3FsBZq--y3A.jpg
910906_E7TQ7keJ4cHywzT5KGgRkKg9FBRtUTQm86TN9WdQ9vE.jpg

The Gem Diner.

IMG_5328-300x233.jpg

The JR Diner.

jr-diner-3.gif

I used to go to Providence Rhode Island for work and always looked forward to the Haven Bros. food truck.

images

The original horse drawn wagon.
haven_bros022.jpg

Yes folks, there is an American Diner Museum!
Although the museum does not have an exhibit space, they consider every diner to be a living museum.:confused:

As reported by a TV show called Your Morning, broadcast from New Jersey (I assume).

Maine has quite a few diners that would be considered vintage. The best known is Moody's Diner in Waldoboro, but it doesn't look very vintage any more, although it's been in business continuously since 1927 in the same family. Here's some photos of others.

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 4.45.20 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 4.45.30 PM.jpg

The A1 Diner in Gardiner - this place has amazing food.
Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 4.46.12 PM.jpg

Back