The year was 1955

Ken N Tx

MALE
The year was 1955 and what fun times !!

Did you hear the post office is thinking
about charging 7 cents just to mail a letter?

If they raise the minimum wage
to
$1.00, nobody will be able to
hire
outside help at the store.

When I first started driving, who would
have thought gas would
someday
cost 25 cents a gallon? Guess
we'd be better off leaving
the
car in the garage.

Did you see where some baseball player
just signed a contract for
$50,000a year
just to play ball?It wouldn't surprise me
if someday they'll be making more than
the President.

I never thought I'd see the day our kitchen
appliances would be electric.They’re even
making electric typewriters now.

It's too bad things are so tough now a days.
I see where a few married women are

having to work to make ends meet.It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.

I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole
lot of foreign business.

The fast food restaurant is convenient
for a quick meal, but I seriously doubt

they will ever catch on.

There is no sense going on short trips
any more for a weekend. It
costs nearly
$2.00 a night to stay in a hotel.

No one can afford to be sick anymore.
At $15.00 a day in the hospital, it's too
rich for my blood.

If they think I'll pay 30 cents
for a haircut, forget it.

I was 10, our parents took us to Calif to visit distant relatives, Disneyland was soon scheduled to open. My dad let me read the map and guide. I routed him over 20 of dips in SE Calif. desert we were all car sick at the end. Movies were $.20, a candy bar was $.05 (Mars bar was the first $.10 bar) you could watch 2 Sat afternoon movies along with either a Buck Rogers or Jungle Jim serial and a cartoon. We walked a block to the 'Lil' store to get Wonder bread (building strong bodies 12 ways), Kool-Aid and baloney. We played army, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians and baseball. Roy Rogers, Sky King and Superman were our heros. We had 3 channels on our TV and after school viewing included Howdy Doody and Gabby Hays presents, then it was outside until dark.

I was 10, our parents took us to Calif to visit distant relatives, Disneyland was soon scheduled to open. My dad let me read the map and guide. I routed him over 20 of dips in SE Calif. desert we were all car sick at the end. Movies were $.20, a candy bar was $.05 (Mars bar was the first $.10 bar) you could watch 2 Sat afternoon movies along with either a Buck Rogers or Jungle Jim serial and a cartoon. We walked a block to the 'Lil' store to get Wonder bread (building strong bodies 12 ways), Kool-Aid and baloney. We played army, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians and baseball. Roy Rogers, Sky King and Superman were our heros. We had 3 channels on our TV and after school viewing included Howdy Doody and Gabby Hays presents, then it was outside until dark.

We had to be indoors when the street lights came on !!!

I was eight.

We had a tiny black-and-white TV that got three channels, all fuzzy.

Nobody's mom worked, so you had a neighborhood full of mothers who dedicated their entire being to making sure that you didn't set fire to anything or drown.

Grandparents were old people who patted you on the head, gave you nice presents on your birthday, but didn't take up skydiving or go disco-dancing.

You went to church every Sunday. If you didn't want to go to church, you went to church. It wasn't a democracy and your parents had no intentions of "being your friend". The girls wore pretty dresses with scratchy crinolines and the boys wore bow ties with their white starched shirts, shirts that your mother STOOD OVER A HOT IRONING BOARD GETTING JUST RIGHT AND SHE.BETTER.NOT.SEE.A.SMUDGE.ON.THAT.SHIRT.BUSTER!

If you had a sadistic teacher, no use in complaining at home (especially if you were taught by nuns). The teacher was always right.

Dads seldom changed diapers or burped babies. Their job was to bring home the bacon....unless you were Jewish and then they brought home the pastrami.

This was later, but I remember in the early 60's when I started fooling around with cigarettes, they went from 50 cents to 55 cents a pack. We worried they might reach a whole dollar someday!

Little did I know then, that just before I quit, I was paying almost $9.00 a pack!

I was eight.

We had a tiny black-and-white TV that got three channels, all fuzzy.

Nobody's mom worked, so you had a neighborhood full of mothers who dedicated their entire being to making sure that you didn't set fire to anything or drown.

Grandparents were old people who patted you on the head, gave you nice presents on your birthday, but didn't take up skydiving or go disco-dancing.

You went to church every Sunday. If you didn't want to go to church, you went to church. It wasn't a democracy and your parents had no intentions of "being your friend". The girls wore pretty dresses with scratchy crinolines and the boys wore bow ties with their white starched shirts, shirts that your mother STOOD OVER A HOT IRONING BOARD GETTING JUST RIGHT AND SHE.BETTER.NOT.SEE.A.SMUDGE.ON.THAT.SHIRT.BUSTER!

If you had a sadistic teacher, no use in complaining at home (especially if you were taught by nuns). The teacher was always right.

Dads seldom changed diapers or burped babies. Their job was to bring home the bacon....unless you were Jewish and then they brought home the pastrami.

I was 10 yrs old in 1955 and you explained my life perfectly,right down to being taught by Nuns.
:eek::nightmare:

It's always amusing to compare prices with the old days, but we have to remember the salaries people were earning in those days also. I suspect the ratio of the cost of living to earnings remained about the same.

I was 9. I remember my brothers being excited about getting a nickle raise to $1.50 an hour. We got one TV channel (CBS). Cigarettes out of the machine were 30 cents a pack, except for Camels. They were 28 cents, so there were always 2 pennies inside the cellophane. I know this because my brother smoked Camels, and would give me the two pennies. For Christmas I would save my money and buy him a carton of Camels for $2.50! Can you imagine giving someone a carton of cigs for Christmas today!

I was 9. I remember my brothers being excited about getting a nickle raise to $1.50 an hour. We got one TV channel (CBS). Cigarettes out of the machine were 30 cents a pack, except for Camels. They were 28 cents, so there were always 2 pennies inside the cellophane. I know this because my brother smoked Camels, and would give me the two pennies. For Christmas I would save my money and buy him a carton of Camels for $2.50! Can you imagine giving someone a carton of cigs for Christmas today!

My dad always gave me the two shiny pennies out of the pack. I had forgotten that. He also rolled his own cigarettes when finances got tough; he had some kind of weird little doo-dad that rolled the cigarettes.

My dad always gave me the two shiny pennies out of the pack. I had forgotten that. He also rolled his own cigarettes when finances got tough; he had some kind of weird little doo-dad that rolled the cigarettes.
My parents also had that little roll your own machine. I don't think about that aspect of it much, but my older brother (6 years older than I am) is quite bitter because, no matter, what the folks had cigarettes and coffee. This is before the days of government commodities or food stamps. People were really hungry sometimes.

I remember the two pennies in the pack and you always got a free pack of matches. I rolled my grandfathers cigs on a big old machine. He used Bugler tobacco and had a tin to hold them in. No filters back then.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 10

Back