The Yet to be Solved 1957 Cold Case Whacking of Murder Inc. Crime Boss Umberto Albert "The Mad Hatter" Anastasia

This is one of my fave topics. For some reason, I distinctly remember my dad reading about this incident although I'm thinking he read the NY Daily Mirror rather than NY Daily News that day. Those pics sure gave me the spooks!

Recommended reading:

94a19fd5939775021ba75c3145e54d07b2d0cc93.jpg

This book is about Murder, Inc who thrived in the Brownsville/East New York sections of Brooklyn where I grew up. During the Capone gangster era they were known as the greatest killers around. Organized gangsters from every major city hired them to do their dirty work. Their headquarters was a small mom-and-pop malt shop that still exists to this day:

LiveLongAndTravel The Old Headquarters of Murder, Inc. in Brooklyn, New York - LiveLongAndTravel

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzL2NjY2UyYWY5NDk3MTlkYzA0Y19JTUdfNjExMC5KUEciXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIngzOTA-Il0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDgxIC1hdXRvLW9yaWVudCJdXQ

Why does this remain a cold case?

The NYC underworld has a certain code which includes the concept of Omertà ~ the code of silence. Even though you know who the killer is, you never (and I mean, NEVER) rat on anyone.

LOL - "Whacking."
The last time I heard that term for murdering someone was when Robert Blake was shopping for someone to "Whack" his wife......before he realized "If you want a job done right, do it yourself."

This is one of my fave topics. For some reason, I distinctly remember my dad reading about this incident although I'm thinking he read the NY Daily Mirror rather than NY Daily News that day. Those pics sure gave me the spooks!

Recommended reading:

94a19fd5939775021ba75c3145e54d07b2d0cc93.jpg

This book is about Murder, Inc who thrived in the Brownsville/East New York sections of Brooklyn where I grew up. During the Capone gangster era they were known as the greatest killers around. Organized gangsters from every major city hired them to do their dirty work. Their headquarters was a small mom-and-pop malt shop that still exists to this day:

LiveLongAndTravel The Old Headquarters of Murder, Inc. in Brooklyn, New York - LiveLongAndTravel

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzL2NjY2UyYWY5NDk3MTlkYzA0Y19JTUdfNjExMC5KUEciXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIngzOTA-Il0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDgxIC1hdXRvLW9yaWVudCJdXQ

Why does this remain a cold case?

The NYC underworld has a certain code which includes the concept of Omertà ~ the code of silence. Even though you know who the killer is, you never (and I mean, NEVER) rat on anyone.

Mooney Dash Cam - great channel in youtube

LOL - "Whacking."
The last time I heard that term for murdering someone was when Robert Blake was shopping for someone to "Whack" his wife......before he realized "If you want a job done right, do it yourself."

Small world. I lived on the border of Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy (Kingsboro Projects) then moved to Brownsville (Brownsville Projects) Crazy times.

In these cold cases how long do you think time can pass and still even have a chance at being solved.....
even some other cold cases they say they solved with new DNA techniques or something i wonder how many really got it right and frankly if they do what punishment is there for a person who is very old and even if convicted they already lived their life free.

i realize people want some sort of closure but i feel at a certain point it is not as clear as if they had charged a person after only a year or so.

In these cold cases how long do you think time can pass and still even have a chance at being solved.....
even some other cold cases they say they solved with new DNA techniques or something i wonder how many really got it right and frankly if they do what punishment is there for a person who is very old and even if convicted they already lived their life free.

i realize people want some sort of closure but i feel at a certain point it is not as clear as if they had charged a person after only a year or so.

There is no statute of limitations for murder. I think the most painful situation in a cold case situation is a missing child. No clue, no witness, no trace, no phone call, no suspect(s), no nothing ever.

Small world. I lived on the border of Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy (Kingsboro Projects) then moved to Brownsville (Brownsville Projects) Crazy times.

I grew up on Sheffield & Livonia Avenue. Murder Inc controlled all of Livonia Avenue back in the day.
{Edit} I should add that Livonia Avenue was a commercial hub for Brownsville and neighboring East New York. With all those businesses under their control, the Mob made a great deal of $$$ in those days both in legit and in illicit business.

Last edited:
The Hole:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...rome..69i57.4121j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You may ask, what the heck is this?

The Hole in the East New York - Lindenwood area has been the dumping ground for many of the Mob's hit victims and for trucks/vans that were hijacked by them. Such usage goes back to at least the 1920s and grew with Murder, Inc in the 1930s. John Gotti used it as his dumping grounds as well. Note the many photos of abandoned vehicles, or water holes on the ground where there is the seepage of sewage and chemicals.

I grew up on Sheffield & Livonia Avenue. Murder Inc controlled all of Livonia Avenue back in the day.
{Edit} I should add that Livonia Avenue was a commercial hub for Brownsville and neighboring East New York. With all those businesses under their control, the Mob made a great deal of $$$ in those days both in legit and in illicit business.

The Hole:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...rome..69i57.4121j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You may ask, what the heck is this?

The Hole in the East New York - Lindenwood area has been the dumping ground for many of the Mob's hit victims and for trucks/vans that were hijacked by them. Such usage goes back to at least the 1920s and grew with Murder, Inc in the 1930s. John Gotti used it as his dumping grounds as well. Note the many photos of abandoned vehicles, or water holes on the ground where there is the seepage of sewage and chemicals.

Small world. I mostly divided my time between hanging out at the 73 house running errands for the 124 man who would let me play with the Federal Pulsator sirens and the Beacon Ray Hill lights or hanging out at the South portal of the New York Connecting Railroad Tunnel From Wilson Avenue to Livonia Avenue. This was when it was electrified and watched the Red and White New Haven EF4's then re-designated all black Penn-Central E44's from Oak Point through Hell Gate Bridge then branch off the mainline then straight down the Freemont Secondary through Fresh Pond Interchange then on to the Bay Ridge Float Docks. The coolest thing was hearing those rectifiers whining while coming through the tunnel. Have a good one my friend.

Wow. I remember working in the Fortunoff's parking lot on Sheffield & Livonia Avenue across the street from where we lived. That family owned several businesses on Livonia Avenue and gave many jobs to neighborhood people. Once they moved from the area we lost many jobs and the neighborhood declined.

Since I live in the NY/NJ area, these "hits" were a way of life. I can remember the front page of the Daily News when Anastasia was killed. It was an eye opener I can tell you. But the Mafia gangs were always at odds with one another.

Since I live in the NY/NJ area, these "hits" were a way of life. I can remember the front page of the Daily News when Anastasia was killed. It was an eye opener I can tell you. But the Mafia gangs were always at odds with one another.

I guess that Secaucus story Joe Pesci told was true.

Back