Things you won't find anymore...

I'd settle for a shoehorn. Those things used to be so cheap they were given away. Now I need one and they are really hard to find because cobbler's shops don't exist anymore.
I have a nice long show horn I got on the internet. Do a search and you will find one to order... I live in the Kansas City area; I know of three cobbler shops that I have used to repair shoes and other leather goods.

I'd settle for a shoehorn. Those things used to be so cheap they were given away. Now I need one and they are really hard to find because cobbler's shops don't exist anymore.
Temu Shoehorn. Chic, Temu has many types.. starting at just pennies...

I've got a spring loaded one... I've got a couple of little one that jut nestle into the back of my sneakers ( trainers).... and I have a long reach one about 12 inches or more... they all were very cheap... and work very well

Anyone read magazines still? Back in the 70's and 80's I always had a couple of subscriptions for a monthly magazine. Readers Digest, National Geographic, Field & Stream, and others over the years as my interest and hobbies changed. I know they're still printing them and ocassionally I will pick one up to look at but now it seems they're mostly advertisements and little content.

I kind of miss them.

Anyone read magazines still? Back in the 70's and 80's I always had a couple of subscriptions for a monthly magazine. Readers Digest, National Geographic, Field & Stream, and others over the years as my interest and hobbies changed. I know they're still printing them and ocassionally I will pick one up to look at but now it seems they're mostly advertisements and little content.

I kind of miss them.
The cost of printing physical magazines is pretty high, compared to producing on line editions. When covid struck Canadian hospitals and Doctor's officers removed all the magazines from waiting rooms, as a way to reduce infection rates. That is still the case here. I read a number of daily newspapers, both Canadian and International editions, all on line. I don't know where you live in Ohio, but I am sure you can access magazines online easily. Even exotic ones like "deep sea diver " and "Mid west dirt track news ". JImB

The cost of printing physical magazines is pretty high, compared to producing on line editions. When covid struck Canadian hospitals and Doctor's officers removed all the magazines from waiting rooms, as a way to reduce infection rates. That is still the case here. I read a number of daily newspapers, both Canadian and International editions, all on line. I don't know where you live in Ohio, but I am sure you can access magazines online easily. Even exotic ones like "deep sea diver " and "Mid west dirt track news ". JImB
I know most publications are available online but I dislike reading electronic media, I prefer the printed page. I have yet to ever take my phone or tablet in the bathroom with me!🤪

I know most publications are available online but I dislike reading electronic media, I prefer the printed page. I have yet to ever take my phone or tablet in the bathroom with me!🤪
Not to mention the advert banners, columns, interstitials, pop-ups, and slide-ins.

The idjits using ad blockers only make it worse. It forces them to try ever more bizarre web script tricks to try to get past them.

Google and competitors shouldn't even be allowed to give search results for paywalled sites. But it's all a scam anymore anyway.

so many women wore them in the UK during the 60's and 70's... they were meant to keep their every day clothes clean from all the manual housework back in those days. My granny wore one of these

The woman on the left wearing a typical wrap around apron from the 40's and 50's.. of the working class British woman

dublin-city-co-dublin-ireland-bloomsday-BPJCPH.jpg
I don't know why, but when I saw those 2 women, I thought of Nora Batty.
nora.JPG

10 cent comic books, 10 cent ice cream cones, 5 cent candy bars, 25 cent cigarettes (from a vending machine) that gave you back 2 cents inside the cellophane wrapper, plus a pack of matches. 50 cent haircuts, Cracker Jack popcorn treats that had real toys inside, Animal crackers with a string handle that cost 10 cents.
:ROFLMAO: ... and, $ .35/hr wages that were paid in cash in a small envelope. ;)

When I was in school, I worked full time in the summer on the farm and was paid in cash because I exceeded the number of hours I was allowed to work, so that was there way of getting around it. I volunteered to work the extra hours. When I worked at the gas station during the winter, I was paid by check and no taxes were paid. I liked the big snowstorms we would get and people would come in to get their chains put on. Most of them gave tips to put them on.

An interesting thing about this. My brother now lives down in the U.S., in California. Some years back, there was a scrub-land wildfire accompanied by winds. The fire was north & east of his town, and moving into the town's outskirts. Besides burning homes & business locations, it melted power lines. Wi-fi didn't work, cell-phone towers went out of service, and his & wife's house was dark at night. They took turns sleeping at night, because info they could get was through local radio, and through phone conversations via a land line they had. I was actually able to talk with them by phone while the fires were approaching within a mile of their house.

Many people around where I live keep a land line in addition to owning a cell phone.

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere but I remember having to open up the back of the television to find the burned out vacuum tube. A dead TV was as big of a problem back then as it is today ;-) If we couldn't figure out which tube was bad, we'd have to take several of them out then drive down to the drug store where there was a big console where you could plug in vacuum tubes to test them. Once you found the bad one, you bought a new one, went back home to plug it in, and you were back in bidness'.

Also, the TV would hum when it was on, and just when you turned it on it made this high pitched whine that I can still hear today.

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere but I remember having to open up the back of the television to find the burned out vacuum tube. A dead TV was as big of a problem back then as it is today ;-) If we couldn't figure out which tube was bad, we'd have to take several of them out then drive down to the drug store where there was a big console where you could plug in vacuum tubes to test them. Once you found the bad one, you bought a new one, went back home to plug it in, and you were back in bidness'.

Also, the TV would hum when it was on, and just when you turned it on it made this high pitched whine that I can still hear today.
We had an electrical goods shop in town and it had one of those (we call them 'valves') testing machines. At least, TVs could be fixed in those days, now they're a fraction of the price and you just replace them. Later on when I was a student, I worked on Saturdays in a music shop repairing amplifiers, organs etc.. They had a hard life and I replaced a lot of valves and other components.

Back