Thinking of Moving

Have you ever rented the Florida house? My BFF's parents died and left a condo in Florida. There are no short term rentals. I think the minimum time is a month. I guess some stay the entire winter. You could probably get a pretty penny. It's rough when one spouse wants to move but the other wants to stay put.

Last edited:
Do a trial year of your moving between both homes. If you can afford it, give it a try. It might even be the perfect compromise. Life is short.

"OldMan"is not just an average guy. Tall, handsome,cultured, distinguished. There is NO WAY his wife can stay away from him!
Oldman? Do what you want and I'm sure she will follow!
Sometimes I think my wife takes me for granted, but then again, I think all married couples feel that way from time to time. My wife worries that I won’t eat properly if I am by myself in Florida. I was thinking about buying a boat and spending a lot of time just cruising the bay in the sun and breezes from the Gulf. Do some fishing and swimming and just let the boat drift.

At one time, we belonged to a naturist community down there. There were lots of activities and for the four years we belonged, it was great. My friends would tease me from time to time about not having a tan line, but when companies started buckling down on harassment and the like with other fellow employees, it all stopped. It never bothered me and in fact, I probably got another maybe ten people to join. One Captain and his wife liked it so much, they bought a casita to stay in on the weekends he didn’t work. I liked those days. New Years Eve was really a blast. I even thought about going back and buying a part time membership and spending a few afternoons over there.

What it means for my situation is that, even though my husb. and I are old enough now that we should downsize to something at least a little, teeny, tiny bit smaller, he absolutely refuses to. I understand why since not only is this house the nicest place he's ever lived, it's the only nice place he's ever lived. But the fact remains that we're getting closer & closer to not being able to drive anymore and with no kids & living so far out from town, it's gonna be a real problem soon. But he still refuses to move because he loves this house so much, so to me it's like the house owns him.

I would say, sometimes owning and maintaining a big house, the newest car, the sharpest toys, takes on a little more importance than maybe it should. Maybe the more important consideration is the happiness of the souls inside the home, rather than the THINGS. Things, even homes, are only manifestations of energy. They really mean nothing when you look at it from a different, eternal perspective. Feelings,love,happiness are far more important. IMO.

I would say, sometimes owning and maintaining a big house, the newest car, the sharpest toys, takes on a little more importance than maybe it should. Maybe the more important consideration is the happiness of the souls inside the home, rather than the THINGS. Things, even homes, are only manifestations of energy. They really mean nothing when you look at it from a different, eternal perspective. Feelings,love,happiness are far more important. IMO.
Very well put, Gaer. The problem though is that sometimes the only way some people can seem to be happy is with that particular house or car or whatever, sigh. (And sometimes you know that if those people are forced into giving up whatever it is, they'd be miserable, so it just doesn't feel worth it.)

I, too, have a beautiful home in Florida with five bedrooms and a pool. I live there with my friends Dorothy, Rose, Blanche and Sophia ... Oh wait. That's just my fantasy.
Let me think for a moment. Oh yeah, Blanche could move in with me, if my wife isn't down there at the same time. She seemed like a fun girl.

Very well put, Gaer. The problem though is that sometimes the only way some people can seem to be happy is with that particular house or car or whatever, sigh. (And sometimes you know that if those people are forced into giving up whatever it is, they'd be miserable, so it just doesn't feel worth it.)
I appreciate and really like nice cars, but I never found a need to have the biggest or fanciest. The craze now is to buy a Tesla. I took one for a test drive because my wife was considering buying one. I didn't like the way it handled, so I drove a different model and didn't like that one either. She's still looking, but the Acura is her choice so far.

My next door neighbor owns two Porsches. He bought a rack and stores them on top of one another. The one Porsche is a road machine. No radio, heater, air conditioning, no nothing. It's red. The other one is loaded and is what I call Baby-crap yellow/green. One of the ugliest colors that I have ever seen. I'll take a picture of it when I see it outside and post it.

As we get older, we want to simplify our lives. The only reason for still having a house that big would be to rent it out as an AirBnB.
We have a 1400 sq ft home with 2 BR and 2 baths. It is a perfect size for us. We downsized from 2 1800 sq ft homes to this one.

I appreciate and really like nice cars, but I never found a need to have the biggest or fanciest. The craze now is to buy a Tesla. I took one for a test drive because my wife was considering buying one. I didn't like the way it handled, so I drove a different model and didn't like that one either. She's still looking, but the Acura is her choice so far.

My next door neighbor owns two Porsches. He bought a rack and stores them on top of one another. The one Porsche is a road machine. No radio, heater, air conditioning, no nothing. It's red. The other one is loaded and is what I call Baby-crap yellow/green. One of the ugliest colors that I have ever seen. I'll take a picture of it when I see it outside and post it.
An Acura compared to a Tesla is like comparing a Yugo to a Lincoln. Look more to an Audi or if you want a hybrid go for the Prius. I've a friend who has one and it's a gem of a car.

Back