This virus has laid me low, emotionally speaking

CarolfromTX

Aside from the never-ending search for toilet paper, this has really put me in a bad place emotionally, and for no good reason. We have enough food, we have our health, we have loving friends and family members, we're good. I can't help feeling that we're being manipulated by the media, by the politicians (on both sides), by people posting random stuff on the internet. I am normally a busy person, yet I find it difficult now to get off the couch. I forced myself to go for a walk with the dogs this morning and again after lunch. Made me feel a bit better. Picked up a curbside order at the grocery today, and got most of what I wanted, sans toilet paper. We are in no danger of starving. We have Netflix. And Brit Box. I can NOT figure out why this is so hard for me when it shouldn't be. And to add to it, my daughter is really sad that we can't have Sunday dinner as usual. On the good side, it's nice to know that it means so much to her. I think I need a good kick in the ass. Sorry for the rant.

Aside from the never-ending search for toilet paper, this has really put me in a bad place emotionally, and for no good reason. We have enough food, we have our health, we have loving friends and family members, we're good. I can't help feeling that we're being manipulated by the media, by the politicians (on both sides), by people posting random stuff on the internet. I am normally a busy person, yet I find it difficult now to get off the couch. I forced myself to go for a walk with the dogs this morning and again after lunch. Made me feel a bit better. Picked up a curbside order at the grocery today, and got most of what I wanted, sans toilet paper. We are in no danger of starving. We have Netflix. And Brit Box. I can NOT figure out why this is so hard for me when it shouldn't be. And to add to it, my daughter is really sad that we can't have Sunday dinner as usual. On the good side, it's nice to know that it means so much to her. I think I need a good kick in the ass. Sorry for the rant.
I understand, and feel the same way. It's like this huge sadness has settled on me. I wasn't in the best emotional shape to begin with; now this.

I can't find another word that expresses it better than "sad". Sad for our kind, sad for our earth and sad for our children.

I'm with you, Carol and Rose. I'm rehabbing after multiple knee surgeries last fall, and I'm supposed to be doing physical therapy. But my physical therapy place is closed, of course. I know what I need to be doing—laps in the hallway with my walker, lifting ankle weights, leg raises, going up & down the stairs. But I tend to hang out in bed reading instead. This virus situation has sapped my will.

I'm with you, Carol and Rose. I'm rehabbing after multiple knee surgeries last fall, and I'm supposed to be doing physical therapy. But my physical therapy place is closed, of course. I know what I need to be doing—laps in the hallway with my walker, lifting ankle weights, leg raises, going up & down the stairs. But I tend to hang out in bed reading instead. This virus situation has sapped my will.
Fiona, sorry about your knee issues, but you must do your PT. You must.

I have a hard time just picking up the house....everything has a tinge of uselessness about it. This will pass for all of us I think.

Now, start those laps, please.
🤗

I don't think that you need a kick, and I don't think that what you posted was a rant. I think it was a genuine statement about how this is affecting you as you get used to this new "norm." To one degree or another, I think that most of us have similar feelings.

I'm angry more than sad. I'll start the day in my usual good mood then realize how everything has has changed. You cannot cross the taped line at the grocery store - social distancing. I brought my own bags and the clerk refused to bag for me cuz they were MY bags and offered me paper bags instead which I hate. They just rip if you have a heavy load. Our governor changes our rules like every hour and it's exhausting. I never know what's open and what's not, what I can do and the list of what I can't do just grows and grows. The governor says "go for a walk". I say something I cannot repeat. On the way back from shopping, some guy in a pickup truck was going 2 miles and hour and wouldn't let me pass him so I gunned it and passed him.

I just feel so useless and stressed these days. Not sad but really po'd about everything. I feel frail. It's kind of all too much too fast.

I'm not one to go out much even under normal circumstances. A run to the supermarket once a week was about it. I'm perfectly happy working on my projects but as soon as I was told I shouldn't go out I feel like a bear in a cage.
I'm cleaning,organizing and redoing the same thing I did a week ago. The next step is to rip down the sheet rock and vacuum the insulation.
I hope it doesn't come to that.

There is a reason for you to feel that way Carol. We also have enough food and our health, but it's frustrating and a bit depressing to have to go through this every day. I just try to keep in mind that there are a lot of folks worse off than me during this crisis, people still working, with kids, caretakers for older relatives, poor people, people who were already in places like hospitals or nursing homes when this all started, etc.

I think everyone's trying to deal with it as best they can. I'm more concerned than I was a couple of weeks ago about the severity of this virus and the continued closing of restaurants, parks, etc. But part of it is just that the authorities and medical workers are doing their best to help people and save lives. Part of the media is 'if it bleeds, it leads', they can have 24/7 repetitive news on the coronavirus, that's stressful for us in itself....but expected.

We've been having stuff delivered, did a curbside pickup yesterday from Texas Roadhouse for supper. Probably will pack on a few pounds when all is said and done. Like Pecos said, you are not ranting, we all are feeling the anxiety and trying to make the best of it. Hopefully things will get better and not worse, none of us really know. Just being unsure is stressful.

Monday I go into the dentist to have a permanent crown put in, I talked to them on the phone today about the coronavirus stuff and they assured me they were taking all precautions, that they use special mouth rinse too with peroxide and some other ingredient, and I would be rinsing with it also before they worked on me. It should be a quick in and out, I already paid so I don't have to stop at the desk either. Hubby has some pain and may have a cracked tooth, so he'll be going soon also.

Relax and try to have a peaceful night. 🧡

I admit to feeling unsettled somehow. I'm pretty much a homebody so being "self-isolating" hasn't been very different. But I suppose the daily bombardment of how bad the world is reeling right now has me anxious and off-center somehow. I'm having difficultly sleeping, too.
Same here, normally, except for shopping and running errands I'm a homebody too. Wasn't a social butterfly and didn't go out to concerts, events, etc., so I'm not missing too much. The news does make us anxious and learning more things are changing locally, but we're strong, we can deal with it. Hopefully soon it will all be a distant memory. I have to say it helps to have my husband here with me, I imagine it's much harder for those who live alone.

I know it must be hard to get motivated, but it's for your health and you really should try to do what's needed for your knee. Can you try to set a time slot that works for you during the day? I don't know how long it all takes, but maybe between 11am-1pm you do your therapy? I think it will be easier after the first day or two to stick to the routine.

My husband has some leg problems where he's not steady enough to go out and walk anymore, he uses a cane but still leans on furniture and the wall. When I'm gone for an hour or so every day walking the dog, he uses two canes and walks the house from room to room to fill that time slot. Especially at our ages, we have to try and keep our bones and joints moving to remain independent.

Aside from walking the dog, I've been lazy at home. At first I thought I'd get a lot of house and yard work done, but haven't accomplished much of anything. We're all being affected by what's going on, hard to keep a good attitude every day.

Please take care. :)

Would it help if you start a daily progress thread/journal for your rehab so we can encourage you? I've found weight loss forums so helpful for encouragement and accountability. I rehabbed a broken shoulder last year and have had people with rehab needs on my mind these days. I'd love to follow your thread if you start one!

"Sapped my will" is the perfect phrase for it. Seriously, I'm in a better spot than many, and yet I feel beaten. Damn it! Suck it up, Carol!

You're human!!! And being mighty hard on yourself for it. We're stuck at home because there's this invisible, deadly enemy lurking that we can't fight but have to hide from. No way for it not to get to us.

My best days are my most unplugged and out of doors, but even then there's that undercurrent of anxiety. Not just about the present pandemic, but also worry about the fallout afterwards.

All the bad news that we are hearing every day, the uncertainty of how this virus will affect everyone, and this recommendation to avoid all close contact with other people is certainly going to cause a lot of people to become stressed. These conditions will exist for weeks....perhaps months, and drive large numbers of people into depressing moods. If a person has little to pass the day other than the TV, the days are going to become Very Long. I just hope my "bucket list" doesn't run out before life begins to return to normal...at least, with Spring coming, I have an endless array of outdoor work that will need to be done.

Its starting to wear me down.
Daily I'm reminded due to my age and health issues that if I get this virus its basically a death sentence. I follow the CDC recommendations but all it takes is one slip up. Before the virus I knew of course my limitations physically, and health concerns. I know my age. I was happy, no real pressing issues living life to please me with family and get togethers. Now everyday I'm reminded of my age my vulnerability to this virus. 😖

I was back at the doctor's today for some more meds; seems that the bronchitis is edging into pneumonia and we want to nip that in the bud. Had an 11 a.m. appointment but had to wait in the car until almost noon and then was buzzed in through a side door. Didn't see another patient the whole time I was in there, only the nurse, doctor and xray technician, but I heard a bit of coughing down the hall. When I came out to the parking lot, there was a car parked beside mine with an older lady stretched out on the front seat. She waved to me and I waved back. Heaven knows how long she'll have to wait; she didn't look too good.

I came home and took a hot shower. With antibacterial soap.

I've been going out after dark and walking in the neighborhood. I'd lose my mind if I didn't. I sit outside some during the day but it's darned HOT here.

Traffic very light out on the streets. Orange County (Orlando) is under "lock-down" and everyone was told to stay home or else. Seminole County where I live hasn't reached that quite yet.

I feel better this morning. Shut off the news completely and am watching old tennis matches and movies. Baked my chicken, did a lot of exercising, worked on my budget for going forward, am doing some crafts and just relaxing. Will nap this afternoon. It's better to take a time out sometimes. :)

Today, our Governor ordered our County to stay home and only people with life necessity jobs will be allowed to be driving, along with some other exceptions. This is our second weekend to be tied to the house. For a couple as active as my wife and I are, this is becoming more like a prison camp. The weather forecast for this weekend is calling for rain, which makes things even worse.

Today, our Governor ordered our County to stay home and only people with life necessity jobs will be allowed to be driving, along with some other exceptions. This is our second weekend to be tied to the house. For a couple as active as my wife and I are, this is becoming more like a prison camp. The weather forecast for this weekend is calling for rain, which makes things even worse.

I hope it never gets to that here. They said we would always be able to go to the grocery store, the drug store and the bank.

Sometimes it's not so much the virus as the weather. It's meant to be spring after all.
We have quite a lot to do in the garden, but if the weather is bad, we can't do much.
It was a beautiful warm day yesterday and we started some tasks - today we have cold winds and snow showers!

So, we're stuck indoors. Saturday is a bad day for shopping - though we can legitimately go out for food shopping. Can't visit our friends on the farm - though they may be busy with lambing. Can't go for a walk because of the weather :(

Roll on Summer!

Back