This will be my last move…..where will your last move take you.

Micka… many congratulations! Such delightful pictures.
I wish that your new home will be full of joy, contentment and love … lots of laughter and happy times to share with your cute as a button furry flatmate, who looks quite at home there already.
🌷🌻🌺

For me the most critical element in selecting a retirement site is, and should be, a low crime rate. I don’t want to sleep with a gun beside the bed, or have to worry about the car getting stolen or broken into. Other than an Internet search a tell tale sign is bars on the first story windows. Across the bay is a city that must have made the window bar installers rich, and a high school famous for a Hellish gang rape. Wouldn’t want to live there, let alone retire there.

Last edited:
For me the most critical element in selecting a retirement site is, and should be, a low crime rate. I don’t want to sleep with a gun beside the bed
Yeah, that was the downside of living up in the mountains.
No authorities up there.
Renegades pretty much had their way.
Someone comes near, they best be hollering out their presence well before nearing the cabin.
I loved my 12 gauge up there
One blast
Everyone scatters

This will be my last move…..where will your last move take you.​

It's a difficult subject. Those of us who have had difficulties in relationships have had to reinvent ourselves on occasion. It's different as we get older. After my lady passed a year ago I moved to a studio apartment. I was concerned at first. I slept with a gun close every night, but I have since I was 30, (I'm licensed). Luckily, my neighbors are all antiques and friendly. I have a lovely view of the Hillsborough River just out side the window. They can pitch my ashes there. Eventually, I'm not in a hurry.......... out back.jpg

Last edited:

This will be my last move…..where will your last move take you.​

It's a difficult subject. Those of us who have had difficulties in relationships have had to reinvent ourselves on occasion. It's different as we get older. After my lady passed a year ago I moved to a studio apartment. I was concerned at first. I slept with a gun close every night, but I have since I was 30, (I'm licensed). Luckily, my neighbors are all antiques and friendly. I have a lovely view of the Hillsborough River just out side the window. They can pitch my ashes there. Eventually, I'm not in a hurry.......... View attachment 316502
So sorry for your loss! I'll be in a spot under trees too. I would have loved to be by water, but I'll be on a slight hill with no water in sight.

Way back in my post #66, I said if something happened to hubby before me, I'd have to sell the house but I didn't know where I'd go. Well...the worst has happened. My sweet husband passed away suddenly on October 13, 2023. It's been devastating and overwhelming with all the decisions that have had to be made since then.

Now, I'm coming out of the fog my brain has been in and I need to start thinking about my future. I know they say don't do anything for a year, but in reality, you have to start thinking about it because it takes so long to find a place, sell the house, get rid of most everything, etc. It doesn't happen over night.

I'm hoping to have a house/yard/garage sale this Spring/Summer to get rid of things that I won't need or want. I have to look at alternative places I think I might be interested in and get on a wait list. There's so much to do.

Way back in my post #66, I said if something happened to hubby before me, I'd have to sell the house but I didn't know where I'd go. Well...the worst has happened. My sweet husband passed away suddenly on October 13, 2023. It's been devastating and overwhelming with all the decisions that have had to be made since then.

Now, I'm coming out of the fog my brain has been in and I need to start thinking about my future. I know they say don't do anything for a year, but in reality, you have to start thinking about it because it takes so long to find a place, sell the house, get rid of most everything, etc. It doesn't happen over night.

I'm hoping to have a house/yard/garage sale this Spring/Summer to get rid of things that I won't need or want. I have to look at alternative places I think I might be interested in and get on a wait list. There's so much to do.
I am sorry about the loss of your husband. Sounds like he was a great guy and made you happy. I hope you will be able to find the right place to move to. I think you will know it when you see it.

I’ve been struggling with the decision to stay in my condo of 27 years or move to senior apartments. Well, I’ve decided to stay. Rents around here are crazy! $2000 or more for a two bedroom in a senior apartment, and they go up every year. Also, the thought of moving was just more than I wanted to take on alone and last year I had to buy a new furnace.

So, now, I’m working on getting some things done around here I’ve been putting off. My condo is a townhouse, so I just ordered new storm and exterior doors to replace the big box store storms that lasted just few years and the original exterior doors which could easily be kicked in. (I know this because I did it last year when I locked myself out. 💪 I don’t live in a bad area, but I think we all feel more vulnerable as we age.) Like everything else, the four new doors from a door and window place were not cheap!

Debating over the kitchen, which is a small galley one, but would still probably be 40 to 50k to remodel, so I’ll probably just get new cabinet doors and repaint.

(sigh) My life is not at all what I thought it would be at this age. (Cue the tears.)

Time to walk the dog.

@PurplePansies Home maintenance issues can cause stress. I replaced an HVAC system before things really went south. After I was alone, I had to replace the roof, which still bugs me, as I can't get the roofer back out to fix something. Grrrr. I still have some interior projects I am procrastinating on. Life dealt the unexpected but we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and carry on. Be open to what may come your way...

@PurplePansies Home maintenance issues can cause stress. I replaced an HVAC system before things really went south. After I was alone, I had to replace the roof, which still bugs me, as I can't get the roofer back out to fix something. Grrrr. I still have some interior projects I am procrastinating on. Life dealt the unexpected but we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and carry on. Be open to what may come your way...
This is why if Huzz dies or goes permanently into a skilled nursing facility before I do, I want to live in a rental of some kind. I've heard that (around here anyway) a single elderly woman, especially one without kids as in my case, is the most favorite target for dishonest repair people. I know you can run up against horrible landlords (most of which around here are property development companies/corporations rather than real people), but not being able to adequately fix or replace a leaky roof, etc. or maybe even worse, being told you need an expensive whole new one when all you needed was a repair. It's stressful enough now with the 2 of us; I hate the thought of having to deal with that all on my own.

Thank you! I've only been here a few days, but I already feel so much love and support!

Like everything else, the four new doors from a door and window place were not cheap!
We spent over $23,000 on all new windows and exterior doors in this house. It was a money pit but those windows and doors made a world of difference now that winter is here. I was told I could use the cost on my income tax for energy efficient improvements. Maybe you can do the same.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for posting. I am not sure if I will stay in my house or sale if something happen to my hubby before me. It's a 4bdrm 3 and 1/2 bath home. I may downsize. However, rent is so expensive. I may be paying more for rent than my current mortgage. Not unless I can find a place with reasonable rent in a Senior Community. I may decide to keep the house. Not sure at this point. Wishing you all the best Colleen. Reading your post gave me a lot to think about. 💞

I've often thought the same, @Ladybj. Our big house, yard and backyard pool require lots of maintenance. DH and I have different skill sets and tasks we routinely manage. If one of us passed or could no longer manage his/her portions, it would mean hiring people to pick up the slack, or relying on our children whose lives are at peak busyness.

From that perspective alone, downsizing would make sense.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for posting. I am not sure if I will stay in my house or sale if something happen to my hubby before me. It's a 4bdrm 3 and 1/2 bath home. I may downsize. However, rent is so expensive. I may be paying more for rent than my current mortgage. Not unless I can find a place with reasonable rent in a Senior Community. I may decide to keep the house. Not sure at this point. Wishing you all the best Colleen. Reading your post gave me a lot to think about. 💞
I'm updating my situation again and this is what I've decided to do...for now.

I was curious about a community here (not necessarily a 55+) that have patio homes for rent. I called them in October to request a tour of one when it became vacant. I got a call just before Christmas that a 2/2 with a 2-car attached garage was available for me to look at so I'd have an idea what they were like.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was but, in another way, was relieved that it's not for me. It was old and depressing looking. Old carpet, walls needed painted (I don't know if they do that before someone else moves in because I didn't ask but my guess would be, no, they don't), the kitchen was the size of a closet and the cupboard doors looked like painted plywood (same in the bathrooms), tiny bedrooms, and the small patio had rotting posts. The rent for this was $1213-1340/month+ utilities. I asked her what the average utilities cost and she quoted me what I'm paying now in my house. My house payment is way lower then that. Why would I move?

I spent a day driving in Utah, followed one truck up a Pass, saw some interesting Buttes and stuff. No one is in Utah. It was a weekday, wait a couple of local Indians were walking along the highway carrying gallon jugs of water. Hiked the Palisades, Grand Canyon, the Big Sur. Disney land, Disney World, Pikes Peak, Mt. Rushmore, Petrified Forest and LA Smog, most all Amusement parks & River Cruise Gambling boats and concerts. Colorado is a couple of long days also. Snow is picturesque if you like chains.

I don't have any draw for Europe, middle east, India, China or Japan / Asia. My brother did all of that in the Army.
Been across Cottonmouth boulevard and Copperhead Valleys. seen Tarantulas, Gators & Pythons Several brands of Bears + be very careful. Hunted Ring necks + rabbits. Took pictures of Bucks' Fished Wisconsin and Minnesota for Musky. Deep Sea Fished off the coast of S.C. that's a long day! Walked for days in Museums and Zoos + The Battery in Charleston. Mertle Beach, the Strand were great. Recommend all visit.

Maine, New Hampshire, the north New England states, Alaska, Hawaii and Washington State, much of the northern east coast just doesn't draw me. I've priced Condo's, searched for end ones so only one adjacent neighbor but nada. The parking is limited also.
Not my teacup dream either. More fun to travel and stay at great places. Don't think a Mexico Retirement Village is for me either. In the long run scheme of things will just hire it done for upkeep of the Home here, cheapest decision there is.

It's always been, this is nice to vacation, drive thru but no place like the green of home. Continue to travel some, stay at nice motels with great views that sort of thing, maybe 15,000 miles a year. Have toured 36 states, Eastern Canada, northern Mexico. I would add fly over the Heartland / Western USA as its boring driving it. Cruising seems slowly sinking for me. The Bucket list is good. One day a fire pit and scattered. Leave my remains tour as it may be. Certainly, no Vaulted, Cemented Crypt for my ashes.

Last edited:

Back