Three years today was lockdown

Rose65

What a journey. I have changed a lot and my life is very different, I am no longer relaxed and carefree. It has been so difficult and times very frightening. So many didn't make it.

It seems so long go when we all hid at home and hardly dared venture out. I hope the end of this time is near, so we can live fully again. I still have bad depression.

It was kind of weird for me. Though I kept working, that didn't change. I remember making some masks. I had fabric and luckily some wider elastic I cut down.

The store hoarding was disturbing actually. I never ran out of anything though.

I needed some sewing machine needles so I ordered online along with a little fabric. Took 20 days to get my order. They said they were backed up. I guess people started really ordering online then.

And the news with all the deaths and all the cases.

Was just talking about lockdown with a neighbor today. I still lived in my house when it started. I caught up on a lot of reading..would sit outside on my deck when the weather got warm. My deck was big enough that if a neighbor or someone came to visit and the weather was nice, we could sit across the deck from each other for the distance
I have always been an introvert....so the isolation of staying home, or not being around a lot pf people suited me well.

I felt bad for the people who were more social, or were essential workers, I was already retired, but I would have been essential in my last job

It was a scary time,doesn’t even seem real anymore to me. I remember wiping off things I bought at the store before bringing them inside.
Also, like Remy making masks out of bandanas because masks were hard to come by.
the 6 ft apart rule at stores and even a certain amount of people let in at a time.
Also watching the local news about how many cases and deaths there were in Fresno County at that time..and the world!

I do worry about the next pandemic but not worried about covid anymore…it’s become like the flu.
i hope we’re more prepared for the next one, whatever it is.

What a journey. I have changed a lot and my life is very different, I am no longer relaxed and carefree. It has been so difficult and times very frightening. So many didn't make it.

It seems so long go when we all hid at home and hardly dared venture out. I hope the end of this time is near, so we can live fully again. I still have bad depression.
Me too. I reacted to it very badly.

It was really a weird time. I went from a very active social life to basically staying at home. After awhile I took walks alone, sat on my porch and sometimes chatted at a distance with someone walking by or sometimes took a ride in the car just to be out of the house.

I was already working from home and that didn't change. I was very thankful to have that job more to keep me busy than for the money.

We couldn't get disinfectant or wipes for awhile. I had a friend who lived a few blocks over and when one of us would find something scarce we would get extra and drop one off on the other person's porch. No face to face. There were neighbors who sewed cloth masks and I remember choosing them in the Next-door app and picking them up and leaving the money on their porch. I still have those masks, not sure why, maybe souvenirs.

That level of lockdown only lasted awhile until people couldn't stand it anymore and then we started taking chances.

There were grim things too. I lost several friends, a couple of them very close, most not from Covid but from other causes. Several were from one social group. It was a sad time and I don't think I'm really the same as before, both physically and emotionally.

But, I'm thankful to have survived it (so far) and happy going forward.

Living in a small village without amenities, there was little option but to go shopping as usual. People were cautious, but I think that rules were interpreted flexibly:whistle: and most managed to maintain a degree of normality. Our daughter came to visit (quite legally) a number of times which was nice. The 'First minister' tied to limit cross border travel, but the airlines, railways etc still operated. For up, the worst thing was the inability to visit the theatre, go for trips in our campervan etc etc. but we've been making up for that since restrictions were lifted. We avoided the plague and as some compensation, saved money.

I sewed masks and put them in the mail to my kids. They weren't very good. 😀 I never perfected them like some people.
I was furloughed from work since I was in my 60s. Very weird for my boss to tell me to stay home and you'll get paid.
That was my retirement practice go.
I would have to get out sometimes and ride around but it was like a ghost town.
It was the time our kids realized why we kept extra foods and meds around.

i hope we’re more prepared for the next one, whatever it is.
That's just it, isn't it? I remember reading more than one science article waaaaay back in the 1960s talking about the Spanish Flu and how it was just a matter of time before the next pandemic hit and how it would spread even faster because of air travel, and how it would therefore be even worse, "hang onto your hats, folks". So it really surprised me how some people tried to poo-poo Covid, "It's nothing! What are you all worried about?!" (I shouldn't have been surprised at people but then I've always been a slow learner, when it comes to people anyway.)

Well most of us still had each other here on the forum to chat to , so in many ways it saved our sanity when we couldn't go out or mix with friends and family for months on end...
here in the UK we were allowed to walk in the park.. with one other person only from our household.. but we weren't' even allowed to sit on a bench in the park. The supermarket drove me nuts with it's one way system.. all very well if we didn't forget something that was in the first aisle and we were in the last... then there was a problem ... and then the long snake queues outside of the stores regardless of how bad the weather was.. supermarket and shops and doctors surgeries only allowing people in one or 2 at a time..

I had to have a Hospital procedure during covid... Private hospital not NHS.. and I had to sit in my car in the car park while they came out and took all my vitals before calling me into have the procedure done..

I was lucky I managed to source lots of Masks.. and hand sanitiser.. but in reality I hardly even left the house during the 2 years of lockdown..

Last edited:
CDC estimates that, so far this season, there have been at least 26 million illnesses, 290,000 hospitalizations, and 18,000 deaths from flu. Mar 10, 2023
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/inde... pediatric deaths,and 18,000 deaths from flu.
There is a lot of information and ways to compare it at the CDC. The following link is for ER visits but poke around and you can find other info.

https://www.cdc.gov/ncird/surveillance/respiratory-illnesses/index.html

The flu used to called the 'old man's friend' meaning that it was often the final illness of the elderly. Covid plays a similar role.

The latest scuttlebutt is that the whole pandemic could have been better dealt with if Ivermecton had been used from the start which was known treatment which did not cause adverse side effects in humans as the "gene" therapy MRNA emergency use "vaccines," for the treatment of a Sars virus. This is so sad. But if the next pandemic is flu like, I guess they will know what and what not to prescribe for it.

Covid has not become like the flu. We are still in a pandemic.
From January1, 2023 until March 10, 2023 over 20,000 people died in the USA alone from Covid . That’s only 69 days!
85% of those people who died were over 65.
Hmmmmm.......20K in 69 days. How about 131,761 deaths from heart disease? Or the 100,991 from lung disease in the same time frame.

Where's the hysteria for those deaths? On average. We lose 7-8 million people a year to various ailments, disease, accidents, suicides and murder.

20K in 69 days is 239 a day. For the entire year, at 8 million, that's over 21,000 a day. In other words, 1% of deaths are covid.

Personally, I was an "Essential" worker. So I dropped to three days a week, got into a bit of trouble (glorious two week vacation!) And till I got sick, was doing good.

Last edited:
No it isn’t. Show me the proof.
I do not believe it's endemic yet either, @Marian . Some people have called it that, but this article seems to suggest that it's just that... some people giving it that label prematurely. https://www.ctpublic.org/news/2023-...-covid-19-is-now-endemic-physicians-push-back

The thing that sticks with me with the article is that is was pharmaceutical executives who called it endemic. I'd rather trust the Harvard and Yale doctors who suggest we're probably getting close but not there yet.

Last edited:
It was surreal. It was a scary time. Especially so considering nobody knew what was going on. Sure we knew there were pandemics in our history that people endured but surely that’s different.

With most of us being online we all got to feed off each others fear yet there was comfort in knowing that others were feeling the same as us.

I worried about family a lot including my husband. They were much more exposed. Some days it’s like time stood still. All we could do was take one day at a time;not that we had any other choice.

For me it made me realize how much I take life for granted. With everyone else taking care of the world, my mind couldn’t fathom something like this. We were far too advanced. Surely we would be prepared.

Perhaps it’s safe to even say, humanity was suddenly shocked into a horrific new reality which it might never recover. It took away much of our innocence and created a vulnerability most of us have never felt before.

Three years ago and it’s still not over.
For me, it’s still surreal.

I had a plane ticket to South America for April 1, 2020. If I liked it there, I was going to stay permanently. Canceled.

I was living in a guesthouse/hostel, and it became impossible because people had different ideas about following safety procedures.

So I moved far away (to where I could rent my own apartment), and the adjustment has been difficult.

I'm an Introvert, so it was a couple of years before the effects of social isolation caught up to me. But I feel them now. It's no longer against the law to get on a plane or play cards with at the senior center, but I still avoid such things for the sake of my health.

Plus all the insanity that has split our society. A friend turned against me because I used hand sanitizer. Every day, I see private vehicles with large permanent signs on them, using obscenities to protest the regulations.

Oh I forgot my (I think) second cataract surgery was postponed because I was exposed to covid at work. Should have lied. I never got covid until this last November with a work exposure. It must have been that very contagious variant.

I did and still do feel bad for the more social people and the younger people.

Oh I forgot my (I think) second cataract surgery was postponed because I was exposed to covid at work. Should have lied. I never got covid until this last November with a work exposure. It must have been that very contagious variant.

I did and still do feel bad for the more social people and the younger people.
Should have lied? Well aren’t you nice

Back