Time To "Step Up"And Get On The Soup Box!

I make a shellfish bisque: oysters, clams, scallops and mussels, a few onions but no fillers like potatos, etc. The bisque won the grand prize in a city-wide cooking contest a few years back. I made about 1.5 gallons but only served small bowls to the three judges. After the prizes were announced, I went back to the kitchen. The entire pot was empty...eaten, stolen...whatever.

Sometimes our favorite Soups can be a Mystery!:eek:

512FKfOVnBL._SY346_.jpg
th
th

Back to Bird's Nest Soup:

Saw a national geo. doc many years ago.

In burma I believe, natives scaling cliffs with rickey ladders made of vines and ropes to get at the nest which make bird’s nest soup. The nests are in crevices in the mountain wall or in caves. This is a family endeavor, very Arduous and dangerous

One old man climbed the vine ladder, up about 90 feet where he harvested the bird nest. His support staff remains on ground assisting in whatever way they could.
Narrator keeps repeating how dangerous it was, and the only r eason they did it was the extreme profit they could earn.

Goggle says the bird nest sell in China for 2,500.00-10,000.00 a kilo. It’s alleged to increase your vigor, youth and potency …;however, a few bowls are ineffective, you have to make it a regular part of your diet.

How much does canned bird’s nest’s soup cost in the u.s.?
Don’t know, but am suspicious. I think the soup is marketed , the same way they market chicken and noodle soup.;
campell’s soup: chicken and noodles consist of noodles and a cook quickly waving a live chicken over the pot-so much for the chicken.& noodles

07d2a0f9bcbdfab3615eea92b6b4f2ad--pittsburgh-pa-happenings.jpg

We were at Baldingers Food From All Nations, some years back, where I saw a can of bird's nest soup on the shelf. It was priced at $4.95....we did not buy it.

It was during one of the Olympics in the eighty's, when while working overtime, we stopped at a little diner to eat. One of the guys ordered chicken noodle soup. Midway through it, he called to the waitress "Hey Miss, was this an Olympic chicken"? When she asked what he meant, he said "The chicken that ran through this soup"!

Last edited:
Progresso's soup is thin and watery compared to Campbells.
Campbells make a fair Pea Soup, good on chilly days.

jerry, Progresso soup is supposed to be eaten as it comes from the can while most Campbells is diluted with a can of milk or water. If you are adding any liquid to Progresso, it will be thin and watery.

I'm neither pushing nor knocking either brand. I prefer home made and made a pot of veggie/beef just yesterday but I keep a few cans of commercially made on hand for days I need a quick and easy meal.

My home made soup will be especially good today since we had a 30 degree drop in temp. overnight.

Gen:
So which is the best soup at the super market-none, nothing can beat a home made soup cooked in a crock pot.
Why am I too lazy to get the 'fixings' and have something 'really' good on these chilly nights.
There used to be a restaurant that served home made Pea Soup on
Wednesdays. I'd drive ten miles for a serving of a four oz bowl...
Of course, always ate two bowls. Oh! was it good.

After reading your posts, I had to go into town and get ingredients for a couple homemade soups! Talk about the power of suggestion! Chicken noodle and veg soup and another one made with ground round, tomato soup, beef broth,onion, salsa, corn with cheese and Fritos on top, etc. (my own concoction). It's gonna get cold the next few days and I'm stayin in!
Oh! Take Campbells tomato soup, add: cayenne pepper, basil, garlic powder, half & half, black pepper and parmesan cheese. Pretty yummy!
Stay warm and cozy everybody!

Last edited:
Gen:
So which is the best soup at the super market-none, nothing can beat a home made soup cooked in a crock pot.
Why am I too lazy to get the 'fixings' and have something 'really' good on these chilly nights.
There used to be a restaurant that served home made Pea Soup on
Wednesdays. I'd drive ten miles for a serving of a four oz bowl...
Of course, always ate two bowls. Oh! was it good.

From the routine supermarket brands, I prefer Progresso partly because its cans do not contain BPA and Campbells do.

Thanks for asking because it prompted a new search and I learned that Progresso cans are NOT BPA free as advertised according to tests by Consumer's Union. However, Campbells says that they will be 75% BPA free by end of year. I do think Progresso tastes better but is a little more pricey. I will now severely limit my commercial soup use.

Back