Today in History

NBC{National Broadcasting Company} created by Radio Corp of America
Elvis Presley appears on The Ed Sullivan Show for 1st time
Queen Elizabeth II becomes Britain's longest reigning monarch,63 yrs

Swanson begins selling its 1st 'TV Dinner'
CBS's western,"Gunsmoke" debuts. When it ended its run in 1975, it was the longest running show on TV."Law&Order" SVU' now holds that title
Neil Diamond's 1st Billboard chart success with'Cherry,Cherry'

September 11th
Victory in Battle
1777 Battle of Brandywine, Pennysylvania; Americans lose to the British, Polish soldier Casimir Pulaski saves life of George Washington

James Cutler patents mail chute
Pres. Franklin Roosevelt dedicates Boulder Dam in Nevada.The name was later changed to Hoover Dam in honor of President,Hubert Hoover
NBC drama,"Little House on The Prairie' debuts,ends its run in '83

September 12, 1977 - Steve Biko, the South African black civil rights leader, died while he was in police detention.

September 12, 1990 - A treaty was signed by East and West Germany and the Allies of World War II allowing for the restoration of sovereignty to a re-unified Germany.

Birthday - African American Olympic athlete Jesse Owens (1913-1980) was born in Oakville, Alabama (as James Cleveland Owens). He won four medals in track and field at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, defeating Nazi athletes and disappointing Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.

I'm a history buff, but today is to honor, to remember9/11 , it seems like yesterday.
I am surprised, puzzle, a bit sad-where is the 9/11 thread, where are the postings...

Sept 12th
U. S. Supreme Court orders all white Central High School in Little Rock,Ark to intergrate
NBC western,"Bonanza" debuts,ends in'73
A couple interesting facts about the show:
1. Pernell Roberts who played eldest son'Adam',left show in '65
2. Dan Blocker who played'Hoss' died before beginning of '72-'73 season,show was cancelled couple months later because of poor ratings
Mae Jemison,physican&astronaut becomes 1st African American woman to go into space aboard Endeavour STS-47

September 13th

1960 A movement to ban Ray Peterson's new single "Tell Laura I Love Her" begins in the UK when it is feared that the song's powerful story of a stock-car driver who dies young while racing for his girl's love will inspire a "death cult" amongst teens.

Margaret Chase Smith{R,Maine} elected Senator,becomes the 1st woman to serve in both houses of Congress
Swiss inventor,George de Mestral is granted a patent of what would be known as Velcro
One of my favorite TV shows from the 70's,"The Rockford Files" "74-'80 debuts starring the late James Garner,as detective,'Jim Rockford', late Noah Berry,Jr plays his dad'Rocky'
James won his only Emmy as Best Actor in Drama in'77
The show won Best Drama in '80
The theme song written by Mike Post,hit # 10 on Billboard's top 60 pop singles in '75

Francis Scott Key's poem, "Defense of Fort McHenry' turns into U.S. national anthem,"The Star Spangled Banner'
George Anderson of Memphis,Tenn patents typewritter ribbon
Iraq,Kuwait,Saudi Arabia Venezula form OPEC{Org of Petroleum Exporting Countries}
classic NBC comedy,'The Golden Girls' '85-'92 debuts
The cast members Bea Arthur'Dorothy',Betty White"Rose',Rue McClanhan'Blanche",Estelle Getty'Sophia'. The show would win 11 Emmys,inc Best Comedy '86,'87.The actresses all won Emmys either for Best actress,or Supp actress in comedy..Betty White is only cast member still with us

Charles Darwin on board of HMS Beagle arrives at Galapagos Island
Scottish bacteriologist,Alexander Fleming discovers pencillin while studying influneza
TV show'The Lone Ranger' '49-'57 debuts on ABC starring Clayton Moore,Jay Silverheels as 'Tonto'
Google.com is registered as a domain name

Sept 16th
Mass. village of Shawmut changes its name to Boston
American Episcopal Church allows women to be ordained as priests and bishops
NBC police drama,'Miami Vice' '84-'89 debuts,starring Don Johnson'Det Sonny Crocket',Phillip Michael Thomas"Det Ricardo Tubbs'. Another favorite show cop show I watched every week
ON a personal note,Anthony Yerkovich, creator of the show is from my hometown,Buffalo,NY.He was also one of the writers for 'Hill St. Blues'. He owns an upscale restaurant in Santa Monica,CA called'The Buffalo Club". Anthony's sister in-law,Sasha is the exec director of'Canopy of Neighbors' where I volunteer 2 mornings/wk

September 17:
  • 1928 US National Championship Men's Tennis: Frenchman Henri Cochet wins his only US title; beats American Frank Hunter 4-6, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
  • 1929 British troops begin withdrawal from occupied Germany

• 1931 1st LP record demonstrated (RCA Victor, NYC), venture failed
  • 1931 Operetta "Viktoria & Her Hussar" by Paul Abraham (adapted for English by Harry Graham) premieres in London at Palace Theatre h
  • 1931 Red Sox Earl Webb sets record with 65 en route to 67 doubles

U. S. Constitution is signed by delegates at Philadelphia Convention
CBS long running TV show,"M*A*S*H" '72- '83 debuts,an anti war comedy set in Korea in the 50's
The title stands for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital. One of the actors ,Gary Burghoff who played'Radar' played same character in movie version. The series finale'Goodbye,Farewell, Amen" drew a record 106 million viewers still # 1 for TV show
Anwar Sadat,Menachem Begin and Pres.Jimmy Carter sign The Camp David Peace Accords,which was framework for peace between Egypt and Israel.

1859 Joshua Abraham Norton, English-born resident of San Francisco, proclaims himself his Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I, Emperor of the United States of America

joshua-abraham-norton.jpg

Back