Tooth Broke

Ever try to take a tooth selfie? This is about a good as I can get. The problem tooth is the one with the big filling. Can't see where it's rally chipped because it's on the back inside corner - can't get that unless I swallow the camera.

tooth.jpg

A chunk broke off a tooth I have a big filling in several years ago. My old family dentist (still see him regularly) made a new piece out of whatever they use to make teeth and basically glued it on. It's been good for several years now, no problem at all. It's one of my back teeth and he had taken the nerve out years before because of an abscess.

When that tooth first broke, it was like 1/3 of it on the inside edge, now another small piece. That tooth is mostly filling, according to what the dentist said when it first broke so - only anoout 13% original tooth remaining, now it would be even less. Not worth trying to fix. Recommended just having it pulled.

I just had a molar break leaving a sharp edge which is irritating my tongue. I went to my usual dentist who made a window as an emergency appointment. I know she doesn't do extractions, but I had hoped she could smooth it off. I didn't even get to see her. The technician looked at it, then reported to the dentist who messaged to me through the technician that she wouldn't smooth the tooth and I should just have it extracted. They tried to get me an appointment but all their referral oral surgeons were booked through November. I tried on my own to contact some dentists and was told the same thing - they either don't do extractions or they are booked up for months. What can I do?
Here's what you can do to smooth it out so that it doesn't ruin your tongue while you are waiting. As long as you don't have any pain you don't have to get it pulled right away.
I just had the same thing happen to me.
I bought some #400 Wet/Dry silicon carbide paper used for sanding autos prior to painting.
It's waterproof. They wet it before they sand . So I used various methods to apply it to the tooth.
If the tooth is accessible easily just cut a piece off and fold it so you can sand the tooth. You have to do it a little at a time. Rinse your mouth after doing it. It takes a bit of work but it's worth it.
You can get the paper at an auto parts store or maybe a paint store. Various hardware stores carry it as well.
If the tooth is hard to get at I glue it to a narrow stir stick and let it dry well. Then you can access it . This stuff is very handy. You can also use it to file your nails nice and smooth.

Also. Buy some gum and apply it to the tooth until you get it fixed.

There's no charge for my service.

Dentists seem to hate doing extractions, I don't know why. Maybe they consider it a kind of "failure" on their part, which is ridiculous.

Deb, I think all the advice you've gotten here is good. This sounds like a case of "the squeaky wheel gets the oil." You shouldn't have to become a major nuisance to get some normal dental care, but it does sound that way. Good luck!

I think one of two thing will happen:

1) They will say I need an extraction, but it's too late in the day - the office is closing in 15 minutes. Please see the receptionist to schedule andother appointment. (Which begs the question - why did they schedule such a late appointment?)

2) They will say (like so may have already said) they are not confident about pulling it and I need to see an oral surgeon.

The dentist I saw yesterday had no qualms about removing the troublesome tooth, although he couldn't just pull it out; he had to cut it and remove it in sections, but finally got it all out. He kept remarking "You have GOOD bones!" I guess because it was so difficult to separate the tooth from the maxilla. Only had to pay $180 which I though was a bargain, although I don't know what the "professional discount" was, but I'll take it. If I went to an oral surgeon, it probably would have been a lot more. I didn't even have to take anything for pain. There was some when the lidocaine wore off, but not unbearable. What bothered me most was having to keep pressing gauze in the "hole" for 2 hours, replacing it every 15 minutes.

tooth2.jpgdental.jpg

Last edited:
I was instructed to eat soft foods for several days. The larder was almost empty, do I went to the market when it opened this morning and got yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, bagels, spinach, eggs, and fruit, plus assorted seltzers.

The two teeth on each side of the pulled one are sore, but I read up on that and it's normal after a large tooth extraction. It should subside in a week or 10 days.

Back