top ten list of scams 2020

The scam” your being arrested “ is happing in Australia at the moment I’ve had a couple of calls this week and hubs got 2 calls today, We are getting a recorded message where the previous Microsoft or Tax dept scams were someone abusing you as soon as you answered the phone.

The thing is the calls I got came up as an Victorian (Australia ) landline number that have the 03 area code, but highly likely coming from the usual country known to be involved in scams.

Last edited:
I don't answer any calls from numbers I don't recognize. Period. If it's a legitimate call they'll leave a message and I'll add the number to my contacts if it's someone I want to stay in touch with.

Someone told me a long time ago that you owe nothing, not even your time or good manners, to people who show up uninvited and disturb your peace.
He was referring specifically to a persistent door-to-door salesman, but I have since expanded that policy to include phone calls and emails.

The scam” your being arrested “ is happing in Australia at the moment I’ve had a couple of calls this week and hubs got 2 calls today, We are getting a recorded message where the previous Microsoft or Tax dept scams were someone abusing you as soon as you answered the phone.

The thing is the calls I got came up as an Victorian (Australia ) landline number that have the 03 area code, but highly likely coming from the usual country known to be involved in scams.
They're using this one over here as well. We either don't pick up, or hang up immediately. Rarely do they leave a voice message.

They're using this one over here as well. We either don't pick up, or hang up immediately. Rarely do they leave a voice message.
Some of these unwelcome callers are persistent, calling week after week. I found a way to get off their call list.

I wait for the human to get on the phone (after the come on pitch), and then I interrupt them saying, "You need to know that this call is being recorded for quality assurance, and possible evidence if litigation results."

It hasn't failed yet that the caller hangs up and the calls from them stop.

My email does a good job at filtering out scam email. I check through it quickly before I delete ion case it really is a long lost relative. I do same as star song with the cell phone. Only 3 people have the unlisted # of my land line & the junk calls go to message after two rings & the scammers never leave one. Except the determined lady from Marriott who wants to give me a free stay if I’ll do something or other.

Back