Transitioning to Veganism/Vegetarianism

Vegetarian Stir Fry

Ingredients :

Extra virgin olive oil
Sesame oil
Thai-style peanut sauce
View attachment 106363

Garlic, fennel root, celery , red pepper, broccoli, pea pods, mushrooms, water chestnuts , brussel sprouts, zuchinni, mini corn cobs.

Cook garlic in olive oil, add all other ingredients except for zucchini and sauté until cooked to your desire. I prefer crunchy vegetables so mine are only cooked for several minutes. Add sesame oil and peanut sauce
View attachment 106364

then zuchinni noodles and cook for 1 1/2 more minutes. Sprinkled with sesame seeds and fresh ground pepper.

Breakfast is either nothing or fresh fruit since I’m not hungry in the morning and prefer my morning walk on an empty stomach.

Note: the Thai style peanut sauce has no peanuts in it.
View attachment 106365
If I’m hungry later I’ll usually eat a couple of rice cakes with almond butter or sunflower seed butter.

Coffee: if I do drink coffee I add hazelnut or vanilla Silk Almond which is dairy and soy free.
It’s much richer than almond milk and is very cream like.
View attachment 106366

The rest of my liquids are usually water with ice.
This looks delicious, but I'd be starving less than an hour later without a fair sized portion of starch, too. Brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes - something like that. The protein and fat in tofu also helps a meal stick with me, especially since I use very little added oil or fat - like less than 2 tsp a day.

This looks delicious, but I'd be starving less than an hour later without a fair sized portion of starch, too. Brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes - something like that. The protein and fat in tofu also helps a meal stick with me, especially since I use very little added oil or fat - like less than 2 tsp a day.
That's my problem is always being hungry on this kind of diet. A guy I work with makes himself a protein shake with a helping of fiber powder to help make him feel full.

For me it’s very filling. I’ve eaten one portion and later when I’m hungry after gardening I’ll eat the other portion. Normally I add a handful of cashews but we are out of them plus I use quite a bit of oil. Generous amounts of oil oil and sesame seed oil; without eating any sugar I can easily process them.

For me it’s very filling. I’ve eaten one portion and later when I’m hungry after gardening I’ll eat the other portion. Normally I add a handful of cashews but we are out of them plus I use quite a bit of oil. Generous amounts of oil oil and sesame seed oil; without eating any sugar I can easily process them.
Ah, that makes sense. Wouldn't work for me though - my body doesn't tolerate added oils and fats too well - they cause serious IBS flareups. :eek:

Ah, that makes sense. Wouldn't work for me though - my body doesn't tolerate added oils and fats too well - they cause serious IBS flareups. :eek:
It just goes to show we are all so very different. My body processes plant based oils exceptionally well and does my hair, nails and skin a lot of good. My body doesn’t process soybean too well so we are once again polar opposites. My symptoms are more in the bloating category so not as serious but I am a diagnosed celiac so do need gluten free which cuts down on many choices.

Vegetarian Stir Fry

Ingredients :

Extra virgin olive oil
Sesame oil
Thai-style peanut sauce
View attachment 106363

Garlic, fennel root, celery , red pepper, broccoli, pea pods, mushrooms, water chestnuts , brussel sprouts, zuchinni, mini corn cobs.

Cook garlic in olive oil, add all other ingredients except for zucchini and sauté until cooked to your desire. I prefer crunchy vegetables so mine are only cooked for several minutes. Add sesame oil and peanut sauce
View attachment 106364

then zuchinni noodles and cook for 1 1/2 more minutes. Sprinkled with sesame seeds and fresh ground pepper.

Breakfast is either nothing or fresh fruit since I’m not hungry in the morning and prefer my morning walk on an empty stomach.

Note: the Thai style peanut sauce has no peanuts in it.
View attachment 106365
If I’m hungry later I’ll usually eat a couple of rice cakes with almond butter or sunflower seed butter.

Coffee: if I do drink coffee I add hazelnut or vanilla Silk Almond which is dairy and soy free.
It’s much richer than almond milk and is very cream like.
View attachment 106366

The rest of my liquids are usually water with ice.
I am currently having unsweetened soymilk in my coffee. I also like unsweetened almond :p(y)milk. And those pictures are making me hungry!

I am currently having unsweetened soymilk in my coffee. I also like unsweetened almond :p(y)milk. And those pictures are making me hungry!
I use almond milk and coconut milk for other things. Here is today’s dessert since I do have a bit of a sweet tooth.

Frozen banana
Tbsp. of almond butter
A few Frozen cherries

Throw in blender until at desired consistency
Topped with berries and sprinkled with stevia

B0478B7E-0047-4720-A290-334F8C59F909.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll go what my Dad always said...To each is own!!!!

I don't eat a lot of meat...And never did....Maybe some turkey on thanksgiving....I don't eat hot dogs...And some of the bottle things,
when I read what is in the bottles....I gag!!! I love my veggies....But just to remind everyone, wash your veggies...Even if they are in
a tight bag...I don't trust it....I never eat mustard, I can't even smell it....I don't eat liver, even though my Mom always told me it's very
good for you....Ugh!!! I must say, Ill eat pizza everyonce and a while....Give me a chocolate bar...and give me a nice cup of ice cream....
And a cup of coffee with a Bagal….OK, beat me up....

I'll go what my Dad always said...To each is own!!!!

I don't eat a lot of meat...And never did....Maybe some turkey on thanksgiving....I don't eat hot dogs...And some of the bottle things,
when I read what is in the bottles....I gag!!! I love my veggies....But just to remind everyone, wash your veggies...Even if they are in
a tight bag...I don't trust it....I never eat mustard, I can't even smell it....I don't eat liver, even though my Mom always told me it's very
good for you....Ugh!!! I must say, Ill eat pizza everyonce and a while....Give me a chocolate bar...and give me a nice cup of ice cream....
And a cup of coffee with a Bagal….OK, beat me up....
That’s great that you are eating ‘your’ food preferences. It’s what you like and what you feel comfortable eating.

That’s what I’m doing also. That’s what everyone does. We are all attracted to what we feel is best for us. Some people can eat everything with no consequences and some people can’t. Some people have metabolic disorders like diabetes, celiac disease, trimethlaminuria or irritable bowl syndrome.

Maybe some are going through chemotherapy. Others might have liver or kidney dysfunction. We all eat a diet composed of a variety of foods. Some people need to follow a restricted diet for certain reasons, psychological ones included.

Last edited:
@peppermint I usually eat chicken mostly. Other than that I eat meatless dishes like pasta and pizza. Problem is what to do if you're vegetarian and diabetic. The carbs would be too much I would think.
If you have type 1 or 2 diabetes, choosing to be vegetarian can be a healthy option. Research has shown that following a vegetarian diet can help safely manage diabetes.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/veganism-for-people-who-have-diabetes

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/diet/vegan-diet-good-diabetes/

70 tasty vegetarian dishes for the diabetic
https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/diabetic-vegetarian-recipes/

I’m celiac and transitioning. It’s possible.

Ok here's another question...if you make a vegan cupcake that is sugar free would that reduce the carbs any?

This was off that 2nd link...
"Experts agree that, for a vegan diet to be effective, it must be carefully thought out. “French fries could be vegan, or we can eat a vegan cupcake — but both still have sugars and a high number of carbs,” Chaparro says. “The key words [are] well-planned, well-balanced, and a nutritious vegan diet.”

Last edited:
Ok here's another question...if you make a vegan cupcake that is sugar free would that reduce the carbs any?

This was off that 2nd link...
"Experts agree that, for a vegan diet to be effective, it must be carefully thought out. “French fries could be vegan, or we can eat a vegan cupcake — but both still have sugars and a high number of carbs,” Chaparro says. “The key words [are] well-planned, well-balanced, and a nutritious vegan diet.”
My suggestion is to research recipes and cater them to your specific needs. You can find recipe sites that will disclose how many carbs , how many calories, fats, proteins etc. Doing this along with monitoring your blood sugar levels should be effective.

I made zoodles when they first became popular, then decided I needed half pasta / half zoodles to avoid being crazy hungry shortly afterwards. Pretty soon I came to the conclusion that my body & appetite know the difference between pasta and zucchini. It isn't fooled by non-starchy veggies pretending to be starch. Not by zoodles, and definitely not by spaghetti squash (gag).

I learned over time that veggie and fruit carbs do not make me gain weight, despite their bad reputation. Sweets, fats and animal products do. Hard to believe, but true.

If I eat grains, beans, legumes, fruits and veggies until sated, my scale rewards me and I feel healthy. If I throw in some cookies, crackers, chips, sugar (even "natural" sugars like honey, agave, molasses, etc.), processed foods, chocolate, oils, dairy or other animal products, the scale becomes my mortal enemy and my body feels crappy.

My daughter became a vegan as a teenager. It’s very hard to be vegan.
Less so than it used to be though. Of course, that probably depends a lot on where one lives. In large cities like LA, and smaller cities with a high percentage of young people (Austin, TX), most restaurants and grocers offer a nice array of vegan selections.

Even so, there are thousands of websites, books and cookbooks, Facebook groups, forums and other social media options, YouTube videos, etc., that support and advise about veganism and Whole Food Plant Based diets.

Is your daughter still a vegan?

Back