Two girls, 12 and 13 years old, are suspected of killing a 12-year-old girl. What is wrong with our society?

More than 20 years ago I knew a woman with a 5 year old son. He couldn't read at that time but he could very good kill people while playing a game on PC. All said.
If the video game had targeted non-humans and non-animals (like clay pigeons) his reflexes would have been just as good and his scores as high. Reading requires a different skillset.

I get your point though and it raises an interesting question. Why are game producers so successful with human-killing games?

Some years ago a French-German broadcaster (ARTE) aired the movie of the musical "Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" with Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman. It's very bloody but of course 'normal' people know that it's only a movie. But two or three days later in France a boy or young man obviously wanted to know if it is possible to cut a throat as in the movie. He went into a supermarket and cut a woman's throat with a knife exactly as in the movie. He was 'successful' and the poor woman of 60 years died at once.

Last edited:
I know my thoughts have been shared in the past....but so much has to do with what kids experience in their real lives. I am guessing they had yet to experience the death of a friend or loved one prior. Do not undertand the reality or permanence of death, and how it affects the living.
Think about it....they play video games with death. They watch TV shows where people die...or are killed only to see the actor come back next week in another TV show. To a childs mind....it is not real

What is wrong with society? A society that scorns law enforcement, redefines felonies as misdemeanors, substitutes counseling for confinement, and stands aside allowing thieves and looters to escape with their loot is just one of the wrong turns society is taking.

There are a lot of discussions here in the states concerning weak or lack of prison sentencing. However, the U.S. has the highest incarceration rate in the world. It's not helping at all here. My thought is that the root cause of the problem is the deteriorating quality of life in the world. People that have a good job, health care, a pension, a living wage, and affordable housing are not quite as prone to committing crimes or turning to illegal drug use as those that have nothing left to lose. I suspect we are treating the symptom instead of the root cause of the problem.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/incarceration-rates-by-country
"High incarceration rate" is not the issue. Early release/parole to cut costs is the problem.

Back