United States Naval Battleships

USS Iowa turret explosion, April 19, 1989.​

On 19 April 1989, the Number Two 16-inch gun turret of the United States Navy battleship USS Iowa (BB-61) exploded. The explosion in the center gun room killed 47 of the turret's crewmen and severely damaged the gun turret itself.

This was 32 years ago today.
R.I.P Shipmates. :cry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_turret_explosion
I remember when this happened. It was all over the news, as expected. I have always been in awe of the men on those ships during wartime. Exciting, but dangerous. It would give me great pleasure even today, if I was on a battleship and launched rockets at enemy sites and-or aircraft and have successful hits. I would enjoy nothing more than to blow the hell out of some enemy aircraft.

Remember back in 1988 when the SS Vincennes hit an Iranian plane killing 300 civilians on-board? That would not give me a very good feeling, but if you know the story, it was a pure tragic error on the Commander's part.

The New Jersey was in action off the coast of Vietnam. She fired in support of Marines and Army units in action inland. I saw her in passing at sea but never got to see her fire her guns.

Last edited:

Back