Unusual Names

In high school I met a black boy named George Washington. I thought he was joking.

I knew a woman named Anna Mangiacrapa. In Italian, that means ''eats goat".

In high school I met a black boy named George Washington. I thought he was joking.

I knew a woman named Anna Mangiacrapa. In Italian, that means ''eats goat".

As a genealogist, I've come across a lot of people named after famous people. But omgoodness at the eats goat name! Hope her parents didn't actually speak Italian!

Last edited:
As a genealogist, I've come across a lot of people named after famous people. But omgoodness at the eats goat name! Hope her parents didn't actually speak Italian!
They were Italian. There's nothing you can do about an inherited last name, anyway. I felt sorry for the lady. A long time ago there were no real last names. But, to figure out who you were talking about, people would say , "John, the butcher's son" So, eventually, John and his family would be known as, for example, "Butcherson". Maybe her family clan was unusual in that they ate goats????

Since you're a genealogist, you might enjoy reading this article about surnames =
http://blog.english-heritage.org.uk/norman-saxon-surname/

Last edited:
Had a coworker who named her son Vishnu. Here is the meaning:
Vishnu is the preserver god, which means he protects the universe from being destroyed and keeps it going, according to this religion, and he has come to earth in nine forms (called avatars) so far, with one yet to come. His most famous forms are Rama and Krishna. Vishnu's wife is Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of fortune.

Sophie Hoppenskipper was briefly in my 5th Grade class.
Cookie and Candy Sugar were twins at my high school.
My pic shows me sitting on the enclosed porch of a former Texas Governor's daughter, Ima Hogg, a woman who led an amazing, successful life of great philanthropy.

My parents were good friends with another couple, Mr. and Mrs. Sidebottom. 🤦‍♀️ If that weren't bad enough, every time they were discussed, my Dad would refer to them as the "Swivel Asses." 🤣 My Dad was, amongst other things, irreverent, and clever. 💙

I like to watch repeats of Frasier. He once dated this gorgeous Dr. Honey Snow. Daphne, whose last name is Moon, told the doctor that if she married Daphne's father that her name would be Honey Moon. LOL

There was a girl in high school named Bonnie Mycock. All the guys called her Edith. She got married within weeks of graduation.
LOL, so she could change her surname? My daughter married a guy named Grumbling. When her marriage went sour and divorced, she was glad to get rid of the surname.

My mother's stepmother was named Charlotte. Unfortunately, Charlotte looked like a groundhog. We kids called her grandmom. My father called her "Gramhog" and asked my mother every February 2nd if Charlotte had seen her shadow.

Back