Various Outdoor Critters To See and Discuss

RadishRose

SF VIP
94206f6ebcc459fe0a0b497cf02c1963.jpg

It's fun to see these pictures. I never thought of a snail as being a fast way to travel :sneaky:
though I have seen them moving across damp grass toward a flower bed, to do some munching and snacking in the evening, and they didn't move as slowly as I had expected!

Especially knowing that old expression, " ...moving along at a snail's pace … " :LOL:
Which sounds a bit like myself. :)

I like that praying mantis, which seems to be dancing, atop the lovely shell. 🎼📻

Snails are interesting but still slimey and they eat my hostas. 😝 They are cute though.

What about butterflies and the distance these lightweights can travel while migrating. On average the Monarch Butterfly travels 50 to 100 miles a day.
The longest recorded mileage in a day was 265 miles. I find it amazing that some butterflies fly all the way down to the Gulf of Mexico.

095A975C-001C-49B8-A99E-7E5CE066CD13.jpeg

Snails are interesting but still slimey and they eat my hostas. 😝 They are cute though.

What about butterflies and the distance these lightweights can travel while migrating. On average the Monarch Butterfly travels 50 to 100 miles a day.
The longest recorded mileage in a day was 265 miles. I find it amazing that some butterflies fly all the way down to the Gulf of Mexico.

View attachment 77500
They are amazing!

Keesha, sink old jars or cans of beer around your plants, or even lay half full beer bottles down. They love beer and then they drown.

They are amazing!

Keesha, sink old jars or cans of beer around your plants, or even lay half full beer bottles down. They love beer and then they drown.
You’re kidding. I’ll have to buy some beer as we don’t have any around. My husbands gonna think I started drinking but I’ll just show him the drunk butterflies. 😜

Thanks for the great tip.
And I just realized I’ve been spelling your name wrong all this time. I used two D’s and there’s only one.

You’re kidding. I’ll have to buy some beer as we don’t have any around. My husbands gonna think I started drinking but I’ll just show him the drunk butterflies. 😜

Thanks for the great tip.
And I just realized I’ve been spelling your name wrong all this time. I used two D’s and there’s only one.
Hahaha, I noticed he double D but I don't care! I meant drown the snails, not the butterflies.

This is a member of the family of hedgehogs who visit my garden every night just after dark . I put 3 dishes of fresh water out for them every day, ( in fact I've just done it a few minutes ago) and once a week at this time of year we put a couple of handfuls of meal worms to help them fatten up ready for hibernation...

brownhedgehogourgarden.jpg
Oh, they are the cutest little things! So glad you care for them, Holly.

This is the cutest thing ever.
When I was younger we used to go interior camping in Algonquin Park. That’s where you canoe from lake to lake and then portage on land occasionally.

There’s a lake called Otter Lake and it is filled with lake otters and I actually got to swim and play with them. They are the most playful water creatures ever. I’ve never had so much fun playing with wild animals ever. Well.... 🤭

Cuteness at its best.

That hedgehog thing is adorable holly.
It’s looks like a hedgehog. I wish we had them around here but my girls would just chase them away. 🥺

They like it cheap and old and stale, so no need to buy them any good brand! :LOL:
Sometimes people find it works better if you pour a little into shallow dishes that they climb into easily. You don't want to be unkind, by having them smell it and have it out of easy reach for them. :ROFLMAO:

Don't worry about those travelers on them, either, in the above photo's . They will quickly jump off, before the snails go swimming! :)

I just read that advice again, from RadishRose.
It said to sink them into the dirt. OH, that would be how they could get in. What a good idea.

I never found them to be that fussy. They have no problem climbing over the side of a cheap can or dish which you can then trash with ease. Around here we get a lot of them and they will fill a dish fairly guickly.
But there are other creatures around who will try to beat them to the beer. I had a drunk turtle on my patio one morning.

They are amazing!

For snugs and snails that become pests I use diatomaceous earth. It’s made from fossils and cuts like glass so their bellies get cut and they die.
If you put it at the bottom of the plant it stops the slugs & snails from climbing up it in the first place.

That does work fine too, Keesha, though I would personally only use it in a protective ring around special plants, and not spread it around too much,
because it also harms other soft-bodied creatures, including some that are mainly beneficial like earthworms, and some caterpillars who become beautiful flying pollinators, when they go into butterfly stages.

I am only adding this, for ideas to think about, not saying anyone shouldn't use it. It definitely is better than many options.

That does work fine too, Keesha, though I would personally only use it in a protective ring around special plants, and not spread it around too much,
because it also harms other soft-bodied creatures, including some that are mainly beneficial like earthworms, and some caterpillars who become beautiful flying pollinators, when they go into butterfly stages.

I am only adding this, for ideas to think about, not saying anyone shouldn't use it. It definitely is better than many options.

🤔 Yes you are right. Even while I was writing that it didn’t quit sit right with me. I’d rather them drown in beer than slice them open. It’s rather barbaric actually. I shall use something different. I truly dislike killing anything.

I’m so glad you joined this site.

Thank you for that nice comment, on the end there, Keesha. :giggle:

If you want to, you might also try something very rough, to form a circle around your special hosta's.
Like very rough sandpaper maybe, or other rough surface, that slugs and snails do not like to crawl their bodies across.
It deters them, but no other harm. :unsure:

Back