VE Day

It's hard to believe that the hardships, shortages, and sacrifice continued until July 4, 1954.

skynews-ve-day-street-party_4985304.jpg

Victory in Europe Day

Victory in Europe Day, generally known as VE Day or V-E Day, is a day celebrating the formal acceptance by the Allies of World War II of Nazi Germany's unconditional surrender of its armed forces on Tuesday, 8 May 1945, marking the end of World War II in Europe. Wikipedia

Date: May 8, 1945
Oh my, some are shocked I didn't know what VE stood for..lol :LOL::rolleyes::ROFLMAO: I recall the day just not it being called by the initials!👽👻👹Gimme a break, I'm an old lady!😂

It's hard to believe that the hardships, shortages, and sacrifice continued until July 4, 1954.

skynews-ve-day-street-party_4985304.jpg

I don't understand the date [July 4th] I know some of the sacrifices lasted through the Korean war..[ended in 53]...but why the [date] ? Am I forgetting something ?

I wasn’t born until after the war but I am full of gratitude to all those who lost their lives, health, homes, families etc. while fighting for our country

Imagine living with the threat of constant bombing, having to rush to the air raid shelter at any given moment, rationing, and shortage of basic items, not knowing if you would ever see your loved ones again or even survive, plus all the unspeakable horrors many of our parents and older relatives had to endure

Last edited:
Oh my, some are shocked I didn't know what VE stood for..lol :LOL::rolleyes::ROFLMAO: I recall the day just not it being called by the initials!👽👻👹Gimme a break, I'm an old lady!😂
Here's a memory jogger for you. Do you remember the "Peace Sign?" See below. It wasn't invented in the 60's. (-;
The "V" was for "Victory!" - A truly celebratory event around the world.
(The second image is from Times Square.)
peace VE day.jpg

times-square-nyc-victory-day-celebration-1945.jpg

Attachments

• peace VE day.jpg
    peace VE day.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 4
  • times-square-nyc-victory-day-celebration-1945.jpg
    times-square-nyc-victory-day-celebration-1945.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
i remember we hoisted a mock hitler by the neck hanging over our main road, he was taken down that evening and seated on top of a bonfire and thoroughly roasted, we partied well that night remembering those we had lost, i was a little boy but remembered some young Canadians who would come to our house for their dinner [they supplied the food] all of them died in the Normandy landings their family name was Philsinger perhaps not spelt properly, but i remember them when the sun goes down, heros all, their Mom sent us a photo of their graves.....

My mother told me how people danced in the street, toilet paper rolls and Ivory Soap Flakes went flying out of windows in lieu of confetti.

They lived on the 2nd floor of an apartment building then, and those soap flakes got on a lady's hat on the sidewalk below. A brief shower turned the flakes sudsy.

the day looked like it went well -good weather people sitting on their front lawns -my neighbour put up big union jacks and bunting (y)(y)

I don't understand the date [July 4th] I know some of the sacrifices lasted through the Korean war..[ended in 53]...but why the [date] ? Am I forgetting something ?
On May 8, 1945, Germany signed unconditional surrender to WWII in Europe. It was and in my opinion still is a very big deal as that war was so tough on Europeans. WWII did no officially end until Sept. 1945, after we dropped the A-Bombs in Japan in August. V-E Day I was 12 years old and I remember the announcement first coming over the radio from England and then here in the U.S. Everyone poured out onto the streets, church and school bells rang, sirens sounded all over and anyone in a car or truck began blowing their horns. The cacophony was deafening and there was dancing in the streets. Times Square filled up denser than on New Years Eve. Everyone was relieved, but we still had a row to hoe and that still included the Brits, Canadians, Aussies, et al as well as America.

Back