Veterans

I appreciate your reply, but I was told by the VA that some records were being put on a system that was only viewable by something called a micro-fish system. This goes back to the 1970's when computers were just beginning to show up at the VA. My attorney told me that if I was able to have a judge sign off on a subpoena, I may be more likely to get something from them, but they could just tell me that they were sorry and that no records were available. I will keep trying. It would be nice to learn as much as I can about my parents. My grandparents wouldn't tell me much because they said my dad worked in Intelligence, so they didn't know much either. I think he was Army, but he could have been Navy because my grandmother told me that he was at one time stationed in Hawaii for a very short time.
Well, the info about the fire was what I was told over the years, and also when I tried to obtain info about my father around a decade ago.

Not meaning to throw you off track, but being stationed in Hawaii doesn't necessarily mean he was in the Navy.. two of my uncles were stationed there, both were Army.

I hope you find what you're looking for!!

I don’t understand why you would need a subpoena, unless you think maybe it would force them to act. I don’t know much about legal things like that, but it may work. If it were me, I would want to know as much as I could about my parents. And by the way, I’m sorry that you are in this situation. Do you have your dad’s dog tags by chance?

Well, the info about the fire was what I was told over the years, and also when I tried to obtain info about my father around a decade ago.

Not meaning to throw you off track, but being stationed in Hawaii doesn't necessarily mean he was in the Navy.. two of my uncles were stationed there, both were Army.

I hope you find what you're looking for!!
This has been going on for years. Back and forth. Just when I think I am going to learn something, another issue has always seemed to arise. I never understood why my paternal grandparents didn’t know much about their son’s service record. Whenever I would bring it up, my grandfather seemed agitated and would try to sidestep any questions. So many times, I would just drop it thinking that someday I would be able to get the information from the VA. My grandmother’s answer to any questions were always answered the same by telling me she didn’t know.

The last time I brought up the issue with my grandfather, he told me that my dad was in intelligence. None of us knew much of anything about what your dad did or even where he was half the time, so I dropped it and never raised the issue again. It’s very frustrating. Not even a picture, a patch or a medal. It was just like he didn’t even exist, except I do have his birth certificate. Even while I worked in the Pentagon, no one would help me. The closest I came to learning something was when an AIO in the Pentagon told me that he did find a file with my Dad’s name and serial number listed on the file, but it was only listed in a database and couldn’t be accessed.

This has been going on for years. Back and forth. Just when I think I am going to learn something, another issue has always seemed to arise. I never understood why my paternal grandparents didn’t know much about their son’s service record. Whenever I would bring it up, my grandfather seemed agitated and would try to sidestep any questions. So many times, I would just drop it thinking that someday I would be able to get the information from the VA. My grandmother’s answer to any questions were always answered the same by telling me she didn’t know.

The last time I brought up the issue with my grandfather, he told me that my dad was in intelligence. None of us knew much of anything about what your dad did or even where he was half the time, so I dropped it and never raised the issue again. It’s very frustrating. Not even a picture, a patch or a medal. It was just like he didn’t even exist, except I do have his birth certificate. Even while I worked in the Pentagon, no one would help me. The closest I came to learning something was when an AIO in the Pentagon told me that he did find a file with my Dad’s name and serial number listed on the file, but it was only listed in a database and couldn’t be accessed.
What is an AIO?

I thought all was lost of my records in that fire as my duplicate ones had also been lost in a fire due to a lightening strike. However, when I contacted the GSA, I found mine had been archived as well.

What is an AIO?
Air Intelligence Officer.
I thought all was lost of my records in that fire as my duplicate ones had also been lost in a fire due to a lightening strike. However, when I contacted the GSA, I found mine had been archived as well.
Yes, I have also been given this incident as a reason why my father’s records can’t be recovered. What I find fishy is that it’s like he never existed. I have a huge file of letters and documents that lead nowhere. His name is listed in one of the databases, but no info is attached.

im now over five hours from VA med or med they will pay for.
that makes it a ten hour drive, there and back.

this apparently is they best we can do for our vets.
I am just asking because I have never used VA benefits, except for one time and then I had to wait almost 2 months to see a doctor and that’s when I swore off going there. I understand it has gotten much better since then. Thus was back in early 1970’s.

My question is, are you on Medicare and if so, why not use it instead of VA? Like I said, I haven’t used VA for many, many years and I know a lot has changed. My neighbor has told me many times that he is completely satisfied with VA and he even gets his meds free through the mail.

The First Canadian Parachute Battalion was the first Allied unit to land at 12.15 AM on June the 6th, 1944. They dropped and advanced to their objectives . Juno beach was the Canadian beach on June the sixth, and the Canadians ( by midnight of the day ) had advanced 12 miles in land. The farthest penetration of any Allied force unit on Day One. For the next 32 days the Canadians fought tooth and claw to hold the Juno area, and their infantry units were being ground down and in at least three instances a Canadian infantry unit ceased to exist as a fighting unit, because of their large numbers of men killed, wounded and evacuated to hospital, taken prisoner, or missing in action. The Royal Highland Regiment of Canada suffered 89 percent casualties on ONE DAY. The Queens Own Rifles lost 4 Commanding Officers in 12 days, along with over 400 men killed or wounded. Both the RHI and the Queen's Own had to be removed from battle, to be rebuilt with replacements, both officers and men. The airport at Carpiquet was supposed to have been taken on Day Two. It actually took 29 days to capture it. This was just the first month of what was to be a 11 month long struggle tp push the Nazis back to Germany. JimB.

My dad landed at Normandy (Omaha) during the second landing. My biggest loss of our house fire was my dad’s picture of him shaking hands with then General Eisenhower. I cherished that picture and had it mounted on the wall in my den with my dad’s medals and ribbons. My dad went on to have a very proud career in the Army serving in 3 wars, but only two as a combat soldier. He volunteered to go to Korea. I still consider the loss of that picture and medals/ribbons as the biggest loss in my life. I was supposed to donate the picture to the VFW on my 65th birthday or before, if I was ever diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Our former home burned beyond repair, so it was completely demolished and the lot was cleared completely. Everything in our home burned with the fire, including my military items and my Purple Heart. I contacted the VA in Virginia and they sent me papers to fill out for me to get a duplicate copy of my discharge papers. I also applied for replacement ribbons and a Purple Heart, which I never expected to see, but they did come through. Now, I keep my military items in the safe deposit box at the bank. What I can’t replace is all the pictures of not only my service days, but my family and my kids when they were growing up. Fire destroys a lot of memories. The only thing that didn’t burn or was affected by the fire was our safe.

I have a great deal of respect for all our veterans. My older brother served during the Korean war and my Husband during the Viet Nam war. My Dad was never in the service because where he worked they had to make parachutes. I honor and respect anyone that has served their country. I also think of my school friends that were killed during the Viet Nam war.

Using the VA and Medicare together can be complicated.

The VA uses a Priority Grouping system based mostly on if you have a disability rating from them.

As an example, I use the VA for any of my service-connected disabilities,
and Medicare and Tricare for life for everything else.

Using the VA for my hearing aids, meds from prior conditions, etc. at no cost.

I see that both are informed about any treatments and such.

So far, things have been running pretty smooth.

There isn't an award large enough for all our Veterans who have served our country. My Brother served during the Korean War and my Husband during the Viet Nam war. I also lost friends who served during the Viet Nam war. No reward or respect is large enough for them.

Back