Walking Shoes Confuse Me. What's Best.

Remy

So many out there. All claiming to be the best online. The best I ever found was Easy Spirit anti-gravity shoes. When I couldn't find them in the store anymore, I had some good luck with e-bay but I'm on my last pair.

I like the Easy Spirit shoes I got for walking but I don't know how they would hold up for work. There are the Skechers max cushioning, but I haven't found those in my town to try on.

I found these:
https://www.on.com/en-us/shop/womens
A chain sporting store in my town appears to carry some of these, so I'd be interested in going in and trying them on at least.
And these:
Best Shoes For Healthcare Workers 2023 | Clove

Would I pay this much for a good pair of shoes? Yes I would. Think I'm out of my mind? Every job I have ever had has been on my feet, so yes, I need those good shoes.

I can relate ! There are so many different types of "tennis shoes" now. I ended up going to Dick's Sporting Goods and found a pair that I liked and now that I know what I like, I can order the same type online the next time.

I can relate ! There are so many different types of "tennis shoes" now. I ended up going to Dick's Sporting Goods and found a pair that I liked and now that I know what I like, I can order the same type online the next time.
For several years I had a pair of Keen hiking shoes I loved, after they wore out I was happy to find they still had the exact model available. Except it wasn't, as soon as I laced them up the fit felt different, and once I got out on some rocks I was slipping every other step like the rubber compound had changed.

My point is if you find a shoe you love buy an extra pair right now while you know what your getting.

For several years I had a pair of Keen hiking shoes I loved, after they wore out I was happy to find they still had the exact model available. Except it wasn't, as soon as I laced them up the fit felt different, and once I got out on some rocks I was slipping every other step like the rubber compound had changed.

My point is if you find a shoe you love buy an extra pair right now while you know what your getting.
Thanks for the heads up ! Good advice.

Yes, I'm going to that sports store tomorrow and try some on. Sometimes can save online. I know my size in Sketchers and Easy Spirit (they are very consistent) but not other shoes.

We are happy with Merrell Jungle Mocs, a slip on shoe.
I swear by Merrill’s for my indoor shoes, aka skippers. They have great arch support, good traction and they’re easy to put on. When the lining wears out, I use that pair for outdoor chores. The cobbler replaced the lining on one pair and it wasn’t worth it for $20. I smartened up and put a tiny dot of blue nail polish on the outdoor pair so I don’t accidentally walk outside in my house pair again.

I like skechers Go Walk
me too.. and Goga Mat .. they have great cushioning...

I first discovered them about 10 years ago. I got plantar fasciitis from walking on concrete studio floors all day long, 10 hours a day . The pain was agonising as anyone's whose ever had it already knows, and it didn't matter what I did to my feet, or what shoes or boots I wore, I could barely stand for the pain..

I was advised to get the Sketchers Goga mat for the cushioning.. and goodness me it was like walking on air. I didn't care that I was wearing trainers with a dress because at least I could walk with much less pain.. so I've been a convert to Sketchers ever since.. altho' I do have other brands.. but if ever my feet hurt now, then the Goga mat Sketchers are the ones I reach for..

Last edited:
I had plantar fasciitis from running long distance. I experienced a lot of troubles to find shoes that fit me. Merrell, Keen, Brooks, Vionic, Hoka, and Orthofeet, Oofos (casual sandals) are the brands that I have worn and still do. Unfortunately, these shoes are not cheap but of good quality and last quite a bit of time. Fortunately, I can wear very casual clothing around here so I put comfort before looks!

It’s worth it to spend extra dollars to get a quality shoe that supports your feet properly. Have you tried the type that you can slip your feet into easily and there are no laces. There are a variety of good brands that carry them now.
Sketchers makes those and I'm considering ordering the max cushoning style. Have you tried the slip ons? I don't know about the comfort. I have no problem putting on shoes so I don't require that style.

Those rocker type shoes that were popular some years back were banned at my workplace because there were some cases of people falling over backward wearing them. This did not happen where I worked. There were also claims of them causing leg issues. But I walked normally in them. I didn't do a rocker type step and I never had issues. They just had good cushion and support. I continued to wear them on weekends when the brass wasn't there.

I had plantar fasciitis from running long distance. I experienced a lot of troubles to find shoes that fit me. Merrell, Keen, Brooks, Vionic, Hoka, and Orthofeet, Oofos (casual sandals) are the brands that I have worn and still do. Unfortunately, these shoes are not cheap but of good quality and last quite a bit of time. Fortunately, I can wear very casual clothing around here so I put comfort before looks!
I haven't worn a dress in years and I wear nothing anymore but walking shoes. At work and everyday.

I like Merrells best, Skechers next and then Keen. Merrells are a good solid shoe. I usually like the hiking shoes in winter and Skechers runner shoes in the warmer months of summer. I’ve got slip ons and tie up styles and like them both. Like others, I like Merrill’s for hiking and Skechers for pavement.

Last edited:
I would never buy more than one pair of the same shoe at a time. Yes, in 2 or 3 years time I would already have the same shoe. But, especially as we get older, I may not have the same feet.
Good point @Oy
I never encountered that aspect over the last ten ofr so years, but
......'as we age'

something to consider from here on

Back