Walking!

I did my usual 3 walks today,though the local weather experts as usual got the forecast wrong.They predicted thunderstorms/heavy rain,never materialized here in the city.It was a partly sunny day,a bit breezy this afternoon
I've been wearing my capri pants the past 2 days,temps in low 70's.I'm waiting for warmer temps to wear my shorts.
Keesha,I use to wear skorts to work during summer months,once in awhile I would wear them at church during summer Sue

I did my usual 3 walks today,though the local weather experts as usual got the forecast wrong.They predicted thunderstorms/heavy rain,never materialized here in the city.It was a partly sunny day,a bit breezy this afternoon
I've been wearing my capri pants the past 2 days,temps in low 70's.I'm waiting for warmer temps to wear my shorts.
Keesha,I use to wear skorts to work during summer months,once in awhile I would wear them at church during summer Sue

Good for you Sue ( moviequeen ) Three walks a day is being a motivated walker.

This is my first time ever wearing skorts and I LOVE them. I picked up three pairs and they fit great and are SUPER comfortable, even more so than shorts. It went up to 80 degrees here which was hot enough for me. Anything over 60 degrees is warm enough for me to wear my skorts. They’re now my favourite thing to wear.
Thank you btw.

purple tree.jpg
Took this picture on my walk this morning. Did about 2 miles as usual.

Not sure why the picture is improperly oriented - maybe someone can fix it for me :)

View attachment 51796
What a gorgeous tree Hoot. Is this yours or is in your neighbourhood ?
What type of tree is it?

Believe it or not I haven’t been for my morning walk . I got lazy. It’s rainy and wet outside and I’m being a total wuss.
The sun is starting to break through now so I’ll start getting ready.
I didn’t even do my routine morning yoga. :(

Ill be sure to post later on when I get my stuff together. Lol

Way to go Hoot N Annie. You are being very consistent.
Are you feeling better about yourself for doing this?
May I call you Hoot for short ?

This tree is a block or so from my house. It's beside the parking lot for the country club. No idea what kind of tree it is, though. Walking is a good way to clear my head and to start the day with something positive. Now, I should start going back to the gym, but.....

And yes, please call me Hoot.

It’s lovely whatever type it is. Walking is a good positive way to start the day, I agree. It sets the time of the day.
Today the wind is fierce. In fact our power keeps flickering off, meaning we are probably going to lose it. We are, after all in tornado zoning.

The clouds parted and the sun finally came out. It’s currently 22 degrees which is about 73 .
Walked about 3 1/2 kilometres. View attachment 51801

View attachment 51802

View attachment 51803

View attachment 51804

View attachment 51805

You folks are doing great! Think I'll join you. I used to walk every day, until there got to be more chores to do.:confused: It would be just after dark, when the only other thing one might do is housework. :p

Yeah Nancy. We would love for you to join in our daily walks. I’ll even stop posting lots of pictures since I think that slows down some people computers.

Today I walked about 2 1/2 miles with my husband and our dogs , since he was home. It’s a gorgeous day today. Blue sky and sunny; about 70 degrees.

Keep it up Hoot. You are doing great.

My longer walk this morning was strolling 6 blocks to church and back, warm enough for me to wear my capri pants with a sweater. When I got home,I changed into my shorts and knit top.My afternoon walk was 3 blocks to drop letters off at a mailbx.Its been a partly sunny day high near 70,love it Sue

Good job, Sue. Everything counts.

You guys made me do it! I didn't want to.;) Only 1.3 miles, but a pretty fast pace. Found out I should wear a different pair of shoes next time. Not used to walking on sidewalks. Two pictures along this particular route.

Front entrance of a classroom building. It is a pretty building in daylight.

CoverD562018.jpg

Rear entrance to basketball/gymnastics arena. This is a weird shaped building. The darker it is, the better it looks. lol

steg1.jpg

Thanks for the motivation!

Last edited:
Good job Sue. I wore my capris yesterday also. The weather has been incredible lately. Sunny and warm.

It’s great to see you walking Nancy and yes proper shoes are very important. I’m very picky about the shoes I wear walking.
The architecture of those building is very attractive. Do you pass them while walking?

Today I walked between 6 and 7 kilometres.

Hope you had a good day off Hoot. We expect you back tomorrow. :p

Today on my afternoon walk,I took my close friends Marcia&Dave's family dog,Aker,who is a pharoh hound for our usual 3 block walk. Three years ago,I started to walk him whenever Marcia needed me to,he hates the bone chilling winter temps,and the rain,.The first time I took him for a walk was a winter's day,he started to pull me until I told him in an angry voice'stop it,heel". He looked at me, realized I was the boss,ever since then no problems I love my 'buddy boy'{my nickname for him} He's always happy to see me wagging his tail,sometimes when I bend over to hug him,he'll lick my nose. Today was a lovely day for a walk,sunny in the 60's,was wearing my capri pants. As I was leaving,I came over to the sofa,hugged him,he licked me ear and sighed. I'll be walking him tomorrow afternoon as well Sue

Currently on a train heading back from NYC - did the Great Saunter in NYC last Saturday. It's a 32 mile walk around the entire island of Manhattan, in one day. Walked it with my daughter. It started at Fraunces Tavern on the Lower Eastside, went up the Westside to about 210th st, turned right and zigzagged down through Harlem to the Eastside and back down to Fraunces Tavern. It was the 33rd annual (always) first Saturday in May hosted by a group named SHorewalkers - so we do stay as close to the shore line as possible. It was hard, my legs are still quite sore, but glad I did it. Building up to this, set a goal of 15,000 steps a day, probably made that goal about 75% of the time and did add in some extra long walks on weekends to build up distance. I do like to walk!

Today on my afternoon walk,I took my close friends Marcia&Dave's family dog,Aker,who is a pharoh hound for our usual 3 block walk. Three years ago,I started to walk him whenever Marcia needed me to,he hates the bone chilling winter temps,and the rain,.The first time I took him for a walk was a winter's day,he started to pull me until I told him in an angry voice'stop it,heel". He looked at me, realized I was the boss,ever since then no problems I love my 'buddy boy'{my nickname for him} He's always happy to see me wagging his tail,sometimes when I bend over to hug him,he'll lick my nose. Today was a lovely day for a walk,sunny in the 60's,was wearing my capri pants. As I was leaving,I came over to the sofa,hugged him,he licked me ear and sighed. I'll be walking him tomorrow afternoon as well Sue

Nothing better than having a friendly dog to walk with. What could be nicer?
Pharoh hounds would be cold. They are generally on the thin side. Right?
Sounds like fun Sue.

I walked an extra 2 plus kilometres tonight. It was a nice evening and my girls didn’t mind.

Currently on a train heading back from NYC - did the Great Saunter in NYC last Saturday. It's a 32 mile walk around the entire island of Manhattan, in one day. Walked it with my daughter. It started at Fraunces Tavern on the Lower Eastside, went up the Westside to about 210th st, turned right and zigzagged down through Harlem to the Eastside and back down to Fraunces Tavern. It was the 33rd annual (always) first Saturday in May hosted by a group named SHorewalkers - so we do stay as close to the shore line as possible. It was hard, my legs are still quite sore, but glad I did it. Building up to this, set a goal of 15,000 steps a day, probably made that goal about 75% of the time and did add in some extra long walks on weekends to build up distance. I do like to walk!

A 32 mile walk around Manhattan with your daughter. First off, WAY TO GO :clap:. That’s quite the accomplishment but to do that with your daughter makes it super special. :heart:What an inspiring post to read. Ok now my marathon walks don’t seem like much.
Thanks for sharing your adventurous walk

Tonight, no stopping to take pictures, so tried to keep up the pace. According to Google Maps, 1.4 miles, and 28 minutes. That's 3 mph. No desire to go faster, in fact maybe a little slower. It becomes like real work at 3 mph, and not fun = won't do it. Still not the best shoes, but better. The track was locked tonight, but is not supposed to be. If it's open tomorrow I'll do 1 walking lap around that and bring it up above 30 minutes.

Tonight, no stopping to take pictures, so tried to keep up the pace. According to Google Maps, 1.4 miles, and 28 minutes. That's 3 mph. No desire to go faster, in fact maybe a little slower. It becomes like real work at 3 mph, and not fun = won't do it. Still not the best shoes, but better. The track was locked tonight, but is not supposed to be. If it's open tomorrow I'll do 1 walking lap around that and bring it up above 30 minutes.

636028938889026512-516077531_Speed_Limit_3_MPH.png

Meanderer, here's the thing with 3 mph. To keep it up you have to concentrate on keeping it up. If your mind wanders, you (I) unconsciously slow down. And, heaven forbid, you start overthinking, pretty soon you're down to a slow mosey. Moseying is not efficient. Ideal is 2.5 mph. You can think a little and smell some roses, or magnolias, along the way. :playful:

Meanderer, here's the thing with 3 mph. To keep it up you have to concentrate on keeping it up. If your mind wanders, you (I) unconsciously slow down. And, heaven forbid, you start overthinking, pretty soon you're down to a slow mosey. Moseying is not efficient. Ideal is 2.5 mph. You can think a little and smell some roses, or magnolias, along the way. :playful:

Do they make a "Cruise control" for walking?
animals-dog-dog_owner-dog_lover-walk_the_dog-dog_walker-mhen77_low.jpg

Walked about 2 miles yesterday and today. Now we are headed out to a couple of Estate sales. (That's one advantage to living in Geezer Nation - lots of estate sales. :))

Cruise control. Haha. My man would be purchasing that pronto. :playful:

I’m with you Nancy. If you’re going to walk, you might as well make it enjoyable. That way you’ll most likely keep it up.
I walk fast also. Even my girlfriend says she’s in a sweat when she walks with me but I’m use to walking by myself so I do have my preferred speed. Lol!

A good pair of walking shoes can’t be overstated. It’s recommended that you purchase the best pair you can afford.
Foot support is important. Proper footwear helps keep our spine in alignment as well as being comfortable.

Today is a gorgeous sunny day. It’s in the mid seventies so I wore a pair of skorts along with a comfortable pair of sockless sandals. We walked about 5 kilometres. I’ve got lots of yard work to do so need to reserve some energy. Lol

Hey Hoot. Are estate sales where everything sold from the house all at one time?
Ive never been to one but I’d really like to.
Have fun.

Have a great day everyone :love_heart:

Tonight I did 31 minutes, same route. I'm going to go by the minutes, rather than the miles. They used to say shoot for 30 minutes of cardio, 3 or 4 times a week. Mowing the back lawn will count. (See, I'm making excuses already. lol)

I've never been to an estate sale either. Sounds interesting. It's become rather commercialized here. Big events. Lots of professional sellers show up early. Just remembered I went to a farm equipment estate sale once years ago.

Good job, everyone!

Back