Walking!

Keesha

🐟
Any walkers here?

Why do you walk?
Is it for exercise?
Or is it for fun?
Perhaps you walk your dogs or kids to school?
Do you walk daily?

I walk my dogs everyday and it’s by far, my favourite thing to do. We usually walk 3 to 4 kilometres a day. Sometimes it’s more. Sometimes it’s less but no matter where we go, we always have fun.

645CB4DF-FC80-42CB-B333-5EBF6FA89FEB.jpg

447AF7C7-9093-42A9-9C46-993A3CB7D00E.jpg

FBEEDA4D-02AD-4845-A860-6658E0533F27.jpg

Is is it possible to get the last picture deleted? I can’t seem to do it.

Hope I got the right picture Keesha. If you want to delete an attachment, go to Edit Post, Go Advanced, Manage Attachments. Then click the X on the photo you want to delete and click Done. Preview changes to make sure it's gone, then click on Save Changes.

Great pictures Keesha! :cool: I walk every day for both fun and exercise. I take my dog to the park daily and get in a couple of miles there, and on camping trips I take longer hikes on roads similar to the one in this photo, or on trails that go through wooded areas or along rivers and streams. I do brisker walking when I'm alone, more casual when my husband is with me.

attachment.php

Here he is checking out some free-range cattle in the National Forest.

attachment.php

Today was cloudy and cold so we dressed warm to venture out. We walked 4 kilometres and took a few pictures. The pictures aren’t anything exciting except some things I see on my walk. Next week the weather is supposed to get much nicer so maybe we shall get rid of some of this white stuff. While I don’t normally mind it, I have to admit that I’m anxious for spring. My daffodils are coming up but look a bit ragged.

I thought there would be more walkers.9D56CD9A-33AD-4F68-8D99-65BF96D98B49.jpg

B438A739-A526-4B83-A2F4-63C7DB5CFA9F.jpg

4EC8A3A0-BF01-4F4A-B8BB-FE2A0BC2CE41.jpg

I've done some kind of aerobic exercise most of my life. I used to run/jog. I don't have a lot of natural ability in that area but I did a bunch of 10K's back in the day. The best I ever got was 8 minutes a mile for 15K. Then at about age 40 I developed chronic Achilles tendonitis. So I switched to biking. I used to average about 100 miles a week. I did a number of century rides (100 miles) and completed the Cross Florida Ride twice in the 1990's. That was 170 miles in one day. Then a few years back my wife had a bad bike crash when we were riding. She has epilepsy and had a seizure, crashed her bike and broke her hip and had to get a replacement. Nowadays we just walk. Usually 2 miles every morning. So far in 2018 we have 208 miles in.

Nice photos Keesha, hope those horses don't stay out too long, not much grass peeking through that snow. I love the outdoors, less people the better.
Thanks again Seabreeze! The horses are very well cared for. They each have their own colourful horse coats on and have their own stable to go into. They are just playing the ‘Look at us poor freezing horses” card. ;)

I am a walker, but there's nothing scenic around my neighborhood to photograph. :D I try to get 10-12k steps a day logged on my Fitbit.
Thats good then. How far do you walk? Do you walk in the city or suburbs?
Do you walk by yourself or with a friend or dog? How long do you walk for?

I've done some kind of aerobic exercise most of my life. I used to run/jog. I don't have a lot of natural ability in that area but I did a bunch of 10K's back in the day. The best I ever got was 8 minutes a mile for 15K. Then at about age 40 I developed chronic Achilles tendonitis. So I switched to biking. I used to average about 100 miles a week. I did a number of century rides (100 miles) and completed the Cross Florida Ride twice in the 1990's. That was 170 miles in one day. Then a few years back my wife had a bad bike crash when we were riding. She has epilepsy and had a seizure, crashed her bike and broke her hip and had to get a replacement. Nowadays we just walk. Usually 2 miles every morning. So far in 2018 we have 208 miles in.

Hi Trade. First off I like your enlarged lettering.
I’m sorry for your wife’s condition and her accident. That’s really unfortunate.
My brother broke his pelvis in a bike race and kept going. I can’t quite wrap my head around that.
He is 3 1/2 years older than me and came in first place in his age group in a cycling marathon. He usually comes in second place running. When training he usually runs 30 miles just to train.
And to think I thought I was in good shape.

170 miles in one day is a lot. You might be in the same catagory as him. He rides his bicycle up to see me and it’s over 125 miles. Yep! My family is CRAZY!!!

So trade! The big question though is DO YOU WALK?:playful:

Thats good then. How far do you walk? Do you walk in the city or suburbs?
Do you walk by yourself or with a friend or dog? How long do you walk for?

I walk for fitness; around the suburban neighborhood, usually alone. If I can't get my steps in during the day, I will follow a Leslie Sansone walking video in the evening. The average is 2,000 steps = 1 mile and I try to get between 10k-12k steps every day. (Then I can have dessert and not outgrow my pants. :D)

My little doggie (who was my walking companion) died a few months ago and I miss his company very much.

My husband and I are campers so we get lots of hiking in, too.

My brother broke his pelvis in a bike race and kept going. I can’t quite wrap my head around that.
He is 3 1/2 years older than me and came in first place in his age group in a cycling marathon. He usually comes in second place running. When training he usually runs 30 miles just to train.
And to think I thought I was in good shape.

170 miles in one day is a lot. You might be in the same catagory as him. He rides his bicycle up to see me and it’s over 125 miles. Yep! My family is CRAZY!!!

No, I'm not in his league. When I did the Cross Florida ride I was still in my 40's and I barely made it in the 14 hour time limit. There were dudes that finished it in half that time. They were racers and teamed up to take turns in front while the others drafted. There were chubby women that finished ahead of me.

So trade! The big question though is DO YOU WALK?:playful:

I walk for fitness; around the suburban neighborhood, usually alone. If I can't get my steps in during the day, I will follow a Leslie Sansone walking video in the evening. The average is 2,000 steps = 1 mile and I try to get between 10k-12k steps every day. (Then I can have dessert and not outgrow my pants. :D)

My little doggie (who was my walking companion) died a few months ago and I miss his company very much.

My husband and I are campers so we get lots of hiking in, too.

First of all let me say how sorry I am to read about the death of your dog and only a few months ago.
Its really tough when you’ve had them for a long time. They become family.

It sounds like you have a solid walking / exercise plan that you follow up on.
Good for you.

Maybe you’ll get a new walking companion when the times right.

My husband and I really enjoy hiking a lot also

No, I'm not in his league. When I did the Cross Florida ride I was still in my 40's and I barely made it in the 14 hour time limit. There were dudes that finished it in half that time. They were racers and teamed up to take turns in front while the others drafted. There were chubby women that finished ahead of me.

I’m not in that league either but I appreciate your honesty. Yep! That age thing kinda gets in the way. Sort a!!! :)
That was kinda cute. Lol !

I used to do a lot of walking. I had a pedometer, but it broke and I wasn't using it consistently. Then I injured my foot and had to take it easy for awhile. Took a long time to heal.

Nowdays I don't walk in winter (ice, etc.) except to get where I'm going and do what I need to do then come in and keep warm.

In nice weather I try to walk more. I checked and from my front door to an area down the street where there's a busstop is 1/2 mile, so I walk there and back...that's a mile. From my front door to CVS is a mile, so when I'm feeling energetic that's a good 2 mile walk.

When I was doing a lot of biking I had a 60 cm Colnago frame with mixed Campanola and Shimano components that I had bought from an old guy that had built it up himself from parts.

Colnago.jpg

I also did a lot of riding on my beater bike that I had built up from parts. I used it for commuting back and forth from work. It was 10 miles each way. I did that for many years.

DSC_0244.jpg

I sold the road bike, but I still have the old beater. But I haven't ridden it in several years.

I used to do a lot of walking. I had a pedometer, but it broke and I wasn't using it consistently. Then I injured my foot and had to take it easy for awhile. Took a long time to heal.

Nowdays I don't walk in winter (ice, etc.) except to get where I'm going and do what I need to do then come in and keep warm.

In nice weather I try to walk more. I checked and from my front door to an area down the street where there's a busstop is 1/2 mile, so I walk there and back...that's a mile. From my front door to CVS is a mile, so when I'm feeling energetic that's a good 2 mile walk.

Hey applecruncher,
Thats too bad about the foot. That happened to me years ago but I’m ok now.
I understand the ‘not wanting to go out ‘ in winter part. If it weren’t for my dogs, I’m sure there are days that I just wouldn’t go out but for the most part, I go out everyday. When the weather gets nice I sometimes go out two or three times.

I mark my distance also. With spring coming I hope to see you in this thread telling all about your awesome walks.

When I was doing a lot of biking I had a 60 cm Colnago frame with mixed Campanola and Shimano components that I had bought from an old guy that had built it up himself from parts.

View attachment 51091

I also did a lot of riding on my beater bike that I had built up from parts. I used it for commuting back and forth from work. It was 10 miles each way. I did that for many years.

View attachment 51092

I sold the road bike, but I still have the old beater. But I haven't ridden it in several years.
Nice bikes trade. I’ve got a couple of cool bicycles also that I ride in nice weather. Perhaps when the weather is nicer I will take pics of them. I even have a doggie trailer so I can take my girls with me. Sometimes I ride to the post office or park and take my girls.

That is a long way to ride back and forth to work but I did that also for a while. Until I got hit by a car and broke my collarbone but I did get a new bike and kept riding.

Like yourself, I have a road bike and a trail bike. Wait until you see my trail bike.

Thanks for sharing trade. Very cool :thumbsup:

To be honest, I'm a fair weather walker. But when the weather's good, I'm great :D...well, no, I'm just okay. But I do it for pleasure because I'm usually walking a dog or 2 and that can be stop and go.

Very impressive bikes, Trade, that you and the "old guy" built up from parts. And then riding 20miles a day to and from work.

I'm just packing the Campervan and we're off for a few days walking. Until now, the weather hasn't been great and when it did improve, we had the garden to prepare for this year's crops. Anyway, the sun is shining, so we're off for a few days - not far, but good walking along what was the old 'Royal' railway line that Queen Victoria used to visit Balmoral castle.

Outside the campsite at Braemar.. The railway didn't come this far as Queen Victoria didn't want a smelly old train coming on to here estate...:D

braemar1.JPG

To be honest, I'm a fair weather walker. But when the weather's good, I'm great :D...well, no, I'm just okay. But I do it for pleasure because I'm usually walking a dog or 2 and that can be stop and go.

Very impressive bikes, Trade, that you and the "old guy" built up from parts. And then riding 20miles a day to and from work.

Well at least to get out walking which is great. I definitely walk more when the weather is nicer.
I'm just packing the Campervan and we're off for a few days walking. Until now, the weather hasn't been great and when it did improve, we had the garden to prepare for this year's crops. Anyway, the sun is shining, so we're off for a few days - not far, but good walking along what was the old 'Royal' railway line that Queen Victoria used to visit Balmoral castle.

Outside the campsite at Braemar.. The railway didn't come this far as Queen Victoria didn't want a smelly old train coming on to here estate...:D

View attachment 51096

That sounds like a really nice trip capt lightning. It’s really nice to get away someplace quiet and peaceful.
Hubby and I go hiking different places often. If our dogs can’t go then neither do we.
Have a great time .

Today is cold and cloudy once again. Walking on the road is dirty but heading into the forest trails can be a bit unpredictable. With all the snow, sleet & freezing rain we got, and the extra rain on top of that has made the snow on the trails ,hard on top with cold freezing water underneath. I’m not too heavy but every once in a while a foot or two would sink .
Luckily I wore my good boots or my feet would be soaked. Nothing like walking with cold wet feet.

With dogs barking, geese squawking and wild turkeys making their gobbling sounds, it was somewhat loud in the forest today . Not that I’m complaining because I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Next week it’s getting up in the double. digits. Yayyyy!
250FA4B5-1C4D-4C27-8F46-9CB63CE16F84.jpg

1A5C1F08-FE14-4B71-AD16-BCC43D873D14.jpg

1909A5D0-44AE-44D8-849E-827D64FA865C.jpg

C471F096-0705-438E-82A9-32862FFE6B51.jpg

75646BA3-4C77-4884-9935-8B3A3A8CD801.jpg

Since I live in the City of Mobile and the main past times here in Alabama seem to be eating fried food and watching football on TV there aren't a whole lot of nice walking places close by. But there is one nice one of the University of South Alabama campus. It's the Glen Sebastian Nature Trail. The main trail is 2 miles long and we walk it fairly often. This morning we did it in 45 minutes. Not all that fast but at age 70, I just don't feel like power walking every day. These are some pictures of the trail I didn't take them myself. I got them off the trail website.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/alabama/glenn-sebastian-nature-trail-white-route

extra_large_26adc5fb964a1fc7f733aed135c81784.jpg

extra_large_4879f3bfb171481c0e00d9b5487cbf7c.jpg

extra_large_7746dfc693b342b20da9a72bdeb6919c.jpg

extra_large_b12995bcead25577ccbdd37f8398e7e7.jpg

extra_large_ec17a41bcc3ffa2fe8ed3cc76638e2c3.jpg

Back