Was There A Greasy Spoon Restaurant Where You Grew Up?

We had one and incredibly it is still open today. It was open 24 hrs./pay. I know this because I Earth Googled the town. Actually there was a second one but it was a school burger joint across the street from the high school.
yes they were loads where I grew up in the city... and there's stil a few around in the larger towns near where I live now... They're very popular here still

Yes indeed although our greasy spoons were more of the cozy small town burger joint variety than dangerous ptomaine palaces.

The one I frequented in high school still operates in my old town although it has been for sale for some time. Burgers still taste the same. I drive up there at least once a month for a slap of nostalgia...... and extra pickle slices on the side.

We had three!

We only went to one of them when we were kids the other two made it clear that they were not interested in a bunch of kids tying up a table. I can't blame them our purchases were small and our visits were long.

We usually ordered vanilla Cokes with an order of fries to split or if we were really broke an order of toast.

We thought that we were livin' large!

Last edited:
Circa 1954-58, cafe's, (not called restaurant's) they had a sign in front "Eats" or 'Fred's Eats.'
Primarily called working men's 'joints.'

These greasy spoons were where normal people ate, food was good,, cheap and service with a 'honey.'
Food was plentiful, cooked the way the cook thought it should be, not as customers requested.

If you requested 'rare or medium rare', waitress would give you a funny look.

There were few and far between, there was no criticism of these 'joints.'

We had one and incredibly it is still open today. It was open 24 hrs./pay. I know this because I Earth Googled the town. Actually there was a second one but it was a school burger joint across the street from the high school.

Hmmm, ours was right across the street from our High School in El Paso.

Comparing those old great joints to an International House of Pancakes place near me. They have this huge menu and you have to order only what is on the menu. It was years ago I went there and I don't recall what I wanted but it was for example one egg and one pancake. The waiter was confused as he was shocked and fought me to order only what was on the menu. Eventually he took my order. There was some confusion as to how to charge me. That was the last time I went there for that reason.

Yes, a restaurant right next to the railroad tracks. I can’t remember the name. It was the kind of place where you could see the grease floating on top of your coffee. But the food was plentiful and good.

Back