Watercolor Paintings

Is it a cherry or apple blossom tree ?
I like how you name, sign and date your work. For some reason I rarely sign my work but adding the date and subject is a good idea.
I like it.
I thought it was a dogwood but I'm no tree expert and it was some time ago. Actually, I don't normally sign to label my work. I plan on doing it more often because it nice to have a timeframe and a label to give me a clue as to what I was striving for.

I hosted a private art show last night. I've been experimenting with abstract art - combining my experience with watercolors and new media. It was a fun night - lots of positive feedback, opinions and a touch of controversary to make the night interesting.

Here is the link to my latest work. All comments will be appreciated.

S O L S T I C E

I hosted a private art show last night. I've been experimenting with abstract art - combining my experience with watercolors and new media. It was a fun night - lots of positive feedback, opinions and a touch of controversary to make the night interesting.

Here is the link to my latest work. All comments will be appreciated.

S O L S T I C E
The link brings me back to this thread.
Your drawings are excellent .. I especially am drawn to the character's eyes.

Last edited:
Hey rcleary....I clicked on your Solstice link and and my favorite on that page was the blue/blk vertical right under the title. It just works great as an abstract with some interesting lines and composition.

But I was particularly WOWed by all of the ones you did in the Cosmos section!!!!!! I loved everyone of them! Beautiful. What size are they? Are they for sale? Actually, I think you should reproduce them as giclee prints and sell them that way because you'll regret letting them go if you sell them as originals.

Last edited:
My favorites in the Cosmos section are "New Moon" and "Mercury". The only minor thing is that there are 2 little "eyes" in the middle of the "New Moon" that are grabbing too much of my attention as it looks like a black bug a little but it's probably just me.

Same with the "Mercury" one where the red dot in the center of Mercury is grabbing too much of my attention...again, may be just me. I'd move it a little off center but don't change it as I may be the only one that feels this way.

Last edited:
Hey rcleary....I clicked on your Solstice link and and my favorite on that page was the blue/blk vertical right under the title. It just works great as an abstract with some interesting lines and composition.

But I was particularly WOWed by all of the ones you did in the Cosmos section!!!!!! I loved everyone of them! Beautiful. What size are they? Are they for sale? Actually, I think you should reproduce them as giclee prints and sell them that way because you'll regret letting them go if you sell them as originals.
Thank you for you great comments. The pictures are not very large - about 5 by 7

Thank you for your great comments. The paintings are not very large, about 5 by 7 inches, (Frames 11 by 9). The Cosmos series is on display at a local restaurant. If you are interested in purchasing a painting, I have very reasonable prices.

My favorites in the Cosmos section are "New Moon" and "Mercury". The only minor thing is that there are 2 little "eyes" in the middle of the "New Moon" that are grabbing too much of my attention as it looks like a black bug a little but it's probably just me.

Same with the "Mercury" one where the red dot in the center of Mercury is grabbing too much of my attention...again, may be just me. I'd move it a little off center but don't change it as I may be the only one that feels this way.
Very interesting observation - the red dot was intentional, so for good or bad it calls itself for attention. The two eyes were simply accidental.

I enjoy watercolor paintings so I decided to give it a try and see what I could produce.
Looks like awesome results to me!
If you want any feedback on the first post, I feel there is a disconnect in tension, the horse's mouth says he is in pain, but the eyes don't show an equivalent amount of unhappy emotion. And the horse and reins indicate that a hard stop has just happened but the rider doesn't appear (to me) to have enough muscle resistance/tension to indicate he is riding a hard halt.
But the artwork is beautiful! I love the forelock and bit of mane sticking out all random and wild.

Looks like awesome results to me!
If you want any feedback on the first post, I feel there is a disconnect in tension, the horse's mouth says he is in pain, but the eyes don't show an equivalent amount of unhappy emotion. And the horse and reins indicate that a hard stop has just happened but the rider doesn't appear (to me) to have enough muscle resistance/tension to indicate he is riding a hard halt.
But the artwork is beautiful! I love the forelock and bit of mane sticking out all random and wild.
That was quite a comment! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Bob, I really, really like your photography. (City and Horizons). Unfortunately I could never get into abstract art. I must not have the eye for it. I did, however, like the first piece in Solstice! I so admire and envy people with artistic talent...and you are among them!

Beautiful work RC! I used to dabble in acrylics after taking an art class. I realized I can't stand the smell of turpentine so I wouldn't deal with oils. Acrylics are hard to because they don't move around like oil paints. I'm very impressed with what you're able to accomplish using water colors.

Back