Welcome to Pretzel-vania....where we do the Twist!

Meanderer

Supreme Member
🥨🥨🥨🥨🥨🥨🥨🥨🥨
pret-logo.png

The Pretzel: A Twisted History (LINK)
Sarah Pruitt

img_7452.jpg

"When did pretzels make their way to America? One rumor has it that the doughy knots came over on the Mayflower, and were used by the Pilgrims for trade with the Native Americans they met in the New World. German immigrants certainly brought pretzels with them when they began settling in Pennsylvania around 1710. In 1861, Julius Sturgis founded the first commercial pretzel bakery in the town of Lititz in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania".

"Until the 1930s, pretzels were still manufactured by hand. But in 1935, the Reading Pretzel Machinery Company introduced the first automated pretzel maker, which enabled bakers to put out some 245 pretzels per minute, compared with the 40 per minute an individual worker could make by hand. Today, Pennsylvania remains the American pretzel-making capital, as a full 80 percent of U.S.-made pretzels come from the Keystone State".

Pretzels were a Lenten treat in the old, old days. Meat was given up for lent, but so was fish, dairy products of any kind, any animal byproducts (lard, grease, etc.) and sugar. Oh, and no alcohol. Yikes!

There wasn't much left. Vegetables and bread was the menu. Since a pretzel was nothing but flour, water and salt, it wouldn't be a sin to sink whatever teeth you had into a nice hot salty one fresh from the oven. Of course, if Savonarola caught you enjoying anything during Lent, you might find yourself a nice toasty spot in the Bonfire of the Vanities.

The Pretzel: A Twisted History (LINK)
Sarah Pruitt

img_7452.jpg

"When did pretzels make their way to America? One rumor has it that the doughy knots came over on the Mayflower, and were used by the Pilgrims for trade with the Native Americans they met in the New World. German immigrants certainly brought pretzels with them when they began settling in Pennsylvania around 1710. In 1861, Julius Sturgis founded the first commercial pretzel bakery in the town of Lititz in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania".

"Until the 1930s, pretzels were still manufactured by hand. But in 1935, the Reading Pretzel Machinery Company introduced the first automated pretzel maker, which enabled bakers to put out some 245 pretzels per minute, compared with the 40 per minute an individual worker could make by hand. Today, Pennsylvania remains the American pretzel-making capital, as a full 80 percent of U.S.-made pretzels come from the Keystone State".
I have to be honest here, I never cared for Sturgis Pretzels. We have several pretzel bakeries here in PA, especially in this area. Snyder’s is probably the largest, but I’m not a fan of those either. For my taste, Utz’s is the better pretzel.

Our hard Pretzels of choice are UTZ!
780e09a0-d1a0-4730-adb6-57f10cb53726_1.7a5dd7b26915cff4bba3167ae7ce31d1.jpeg
These are really good pretzels. It’s also makes a variety of shapes and sizes. I just read not long ago that the auto family sold the business. Actually, Utz is going public. BTW, Utz also makes a great potato chip.

Philadelphia is known for making the big soft pretzels. We also have a company not far from me that also makes a large soft pretzel.

Pretzels were a Lenten treat in the old, old days. Meat was given up for lent, but so was fish, dairy products of any kind, any animal byproducts (lard, grease, etc.) and sugar. Oh, and no alcohol. Yikes!

There wasn't much left. Vegetables and bread was the menu. Since a pretzel was nothing but flour, water and salt, it wouldn't be a sin to sink whatever teeth you had into a nice hot salty one fresh from the oven. Of course, if Savonarola caught you enjoying anything during Lent, you might find yourself a nice toasty spot in the Bonfire of the Vanities.
Lent? I remember spaghetti made with a sardine sauce. It was good. Every now and then I buy a can of sardines or tuna and make a tuna or sardine salad sandwich.

And I even like spaghetti just with butter.

The guy was paired with Hitler in hell. Hitler asked him what he was there for.
He said "I ate a hamburger on Friday and it was Lent".

I might try making homemade pretzels that are soft.

Back