What am I? A guessing game

I don't know either. Maybe just for hanging it up like you said chic or maybe you put a stick through it to give more leverage? This is an old one so the hook may just be ornamental

I don't know either. Maybe just for hanging it up like you said chic or maybe you put a stick through it to give more leverage? This is an old one so the hook may just be ornamental
In colonial America, they used to hand dip candles. I've watched them do it at fairs. Then they would let the candles dry when the desired thickness was achieved, but I never saw this device before. It never even occurred to me how they shaved the bottoms.

I'd never seen one either until one came up on a Swedish TV quiz show a couple of weeks ago. I guess they do it the same way as here. They tie the wicks to a long pole then dip them and when the wax has dried dip them again until they get the desired thickness Hand dipped candles are very popular here especially at Christmas time. I have several but I can't bring myself to light them. :)

Back