What am I? A guessing game

Clue. Glowworm is right. But who are these stairs supposed to prevent from climbing up? Do you know what the stairs are called. Think Salem.

I found this by googling:

These stairs leading to the attic are set at a steep pitch, thus saving floor space.
The staggered side to side placement of the stairs are designed to make the ascent and descent less dangerous.

Charles A. Boyden and his wife Ethel Louise Waterman, and Alice Boyden called this flight "witches stairs"---

The witch in the attic could not descend into the main living area with the steep steps, especially with the steps staggered to the left and right.
Witches cannot see their feet, a characteristic which only adds to their difficulty in an already adverse situation.

I can understand the reason for staggering the steps. I'd never be able to get up or down them. Thank God I have a lift (elevator) in my house

I found this by googling:

These stairs leading to the attic are set at a steep pitch, thus saving floor space.
The staggered side to side placement of the stairs are designed to make the ascent and descent less dangerous.

Charles A. Boyden and his wife Ethel Louise Waterman, and Alice Boyden called this flight "witches stairs"---

The witch in the attic could not descend into the main living area with the steep steps, especially with the steps staggered to the left and right.
Witches cannot see their feet, a characteristic which only adds to their difficulty in an already adverse situation.
Sunny is right. These are witches stairs, once popular in colonial times when Puritans believed in witchcraft. The witch was not supposed to be able to ascend these stairs which is ridiculous because we all know witches ride brooms so why take the stairs. :giggle:

Stairs like these are seldom seen anymore but in New England, some houses still have them.

Back