What are some "scary things" to you?

There is a solution - an alert necklace, you know, "I've fallen and I can't get up." If you try it, this fear may go away and you can go on to something else.

Dentist...flying in an airplane...my mother-in-law's cooking.
I am with you about the dentist. The other two, meh.
I have a phobia about the dentist to the point that I can no longer eat healthy meals b/c I can't chew. I was a decent looking person until my teeth started to fail. Fear of the dentist has literally ruined my life. I am trying to find sleep dentistry, but really don't know where to start. Does anyone share this phobia or have any answers?

Salem's Lot, by Stephen King scared me so bad that I burned the book! I didn't even finish it. I couldn't sleep for weeks.
I bought a Stephen King type book called Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist, the main character is a 12 year old vampire but, it's pretty freaky! Apparently there was a film made based on the book but I haven't watched it.

Is it scary? I liked the book even though it was weird.
Less scary than giving you a completely different image of a vampire.

In the film, the girl was being helped by an older man and he gets killed. It's unclear in the film, but there's a clever implication that the young guy is actually going to fill his niche in the future.

The nursing home and dementia scares me. I will do all possible to avoid both. We spent our holidays in the Dementia wing of my Mom’s nursing home for the last 5 years of her life and I don’t want my kids to go through this. And neither do I want to go through it! Keep my leg strength up with my jogging and work on memory exercises to hopefully prevent dementia.

Last edited:
Less scary than giving you a completely different image of a vampire.

In the film, the girl was being helped by an older man and he gets killed. It's unclear in the film, but there's a clever implication that the young guy is actually going to fill his niche in the future.
Sounds good. :)

I don't know.

I feel like with very few exceptions, women have been very nice and cheerful to me. Most people, in fact, on an individual basis have been nice.

I don't pretend to understand most women, though. I've got to be honest if I want to retain any credibility here.
;)
I was kidding :)

I am with you about the dentist. The other two, meh.
I have a phobia about the dentist to the point that I can no longer eat healthy meals b/c I can't chew. I was a decent looking person until my teeth started to fail. Fear of the dentist has literally ruined my life. I am trying to find sleep dentistry, but really don't know where to start. Does anyone share this phobia or have any answers?
Just be sure your dentist offers nitrous oxide and oxygen.
They give you the mask to hold and when your hand lets go of it you are relaxed and fine.

Since moving to the Ozarks it's been the weather. We've had lightening strikes, huge hail storms, ice storms, tornados & hurricanes blowing up from the south. Keeps me on edge when the weather radio goes off followed by the cell phone.

I am afraid of elevators, flying on planes, large bodies of water. and heights. Most people have no problem with these phobias, I just wonder why I do? But what scares me the most is old age and not being able to do for myself. The other phobias I could handle, but old age is the one I fear the most. Do you think fear is helpful or harmful? Why? All people fear something. What are some "scary thing" to you?
I used to be afraid of being stuck in an elevator..then... I was stuck in an elevator!! I was quite a bit younger. I panicked..my hands started shaking and I was terrified...I was in a building of older seniors and so I thought shouting won't help because everyone is hard of hearing.:unsure:😃 eventually, I used up all my adrenaline and calmed down. I sat on the floor and was annoyed I did not have a book to read...lol...All in all it was a most helpful experience...I think bout it when I enter elevators now and have lost the fear...

I know we can all handle anything...because one way or another we have to. The serenity prayer comes to mind...
Now my faith gets me through fears...and I try to remember I am never alone..since I do believe we have guides and God...
My father used to say we have to come to terms with fear and I agree. It can be helpful of course but we all know it can also work against us. IMO the right mindset in self-talk is key to our emotional happiness..

Losing the few people, I really care about !!
I think what helps me is the absolute belief I will see them again. For some, their suffering will be over and for others, it was just their time..their work is done. For whatever weird reason I also find comfort in the fact that if that is not true, I'll never know. I don't know whY i THINK THAT IS FUNNY AND GIVES ME COMFORT BUT MAYBE IT IS EASY BECAUSE i DO NOT BELIEVE THERE IS NOTHING FOLLOWING THIS LIFE..sorry about the caps...

Back