What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son and I drove out to an old friend and former classmate's place and picked mangosteens in his orchard. We spent about an hour there and left with at least 50 pounds of fruit that included not only mangosteens but pineapples, bananas, and rambutans as well. After that, we went shopping and I bought six different kinds of mangoes. (Pictured below) IMG_1178.JPG

Got up early, around 5 AM, made coffee and checked the internet. Then went out, washed the cars and came in for breakfast. Went out to get a burger for lunch and motored on to a place known for its breads and pastries. They bake everything the old-fashioned way in a wood-fired brick oven. Anyway, we got one of their sticky buns, shown below, which are the best anywhere, IMHO.

jun11_2021_hardick_sticky-bun.jpg

We then rode to the next village north, ate the sticky buns on the village green and flew the drone for some pictures. Then took the backroads home to upload and edit all the pics taken. Next up is dinner prep and perhaps some evening flight practice.

I am closer to getting the hand-eye-brain coordination needed to fly the drone with some precision but am not there yet. The drone's controller has two joysticks and a number of buttons involved. The left joystick controls ascent/descent on the stick's front/back movement and yaw left/right on sideways movement. The right stick controls flight forward/backward on front/back stick movement and roll right/left on sideways stick movement. one paddle switch controls the camera's gimbal and the other its zoom. There's also buttons for taking pictures , setting up a landing and enabling a speed boost. Takes some practice to work them alltogether rather than on at a time. The good news is the drone will hover in one place patiently while you figure out your next move. Just take your hands off of everything and the drone will stop whatever it's doing and hover in one spot.

Got up early, around 5 AM, made coffee and checked the internet. Then went out, washed the cars and came in for breakfast. Went out to get a burger for lunch and motored on to a place known for its breads and pastries. They bake everything the old-fashioned way in a wood-fired brick oven. Anyway, we got one of their sticky buns, shown below, which are the best anywhere, IMHO.

jun11_2021_hardick_sticky-bun.jpg

We then rode to the next village north, ate the sticky buns on the village green and flew the drone for some pictures. Then took the backroads home to upload and edit all the pics taken. Next up is dinner prep and perhaps some evening flight practice.

I am closer to getting the hand-eye-brain coordination needed to fly the drone with some precision but am not there yet. The drone's controller has two joysticks and a number of buttons involved. The left joystick controls ascent/descent on the stick's front/back movement and yaw left/right on sideways movement. The right stick controls flight forward/backward on front/back stick movement and roll right/left on sideways stick movement. one paddle switch controls the camera's gimbal and the other its zoom. There's also buttons for taking pictures , setting up a landing and enabling a speed boost. Takes some practice to work them alltogether rather than on at a time. The good news is the drone will hover in one place patiently while you figure out your next move. Just take your hands off of everything and the drone will stop whatever it's doing and hover in one spot.
OMG, that sticky bun... looks so mouthwatering delicious!

You really do know how to spoil yourself, Jon! :)

OMG, that sticky bun... looks so mouthwatering delicious!

You really do know how to spoil yourself, Jon! :)
Ha! Spoil you say? Well, young lady, let me tell you - one of those sticky buns every several months is good for what ails you. On top of that, your taste buds will do the happy dance every time you think of it. Scouts' honor, cross my heart and all that.

Finished the day with more drone flying in the yard and around the house, ending with another selfie. I had never taken a selfie with the iPhone but have been practicing maneuvering the drone and camera by taking selfies, using the camera's view rather than looking at the drone. I did stop and look at the drone for the selfie below.

jun11_2021_drone-selfie.jpg

Now you can get a better look at what an old fart flying a drone looks like and know we can also do what the young squirts do,. And, yes, we need to plant that tomato plant tomorrow. It was sitting in a now-gone puddle of water waiting.

Ha! Spoil you say? Well, young lady, let me tell you - one of those sticky buns every several months is good for what ails you. On top of that, your taste buds will do the happy dance every time you think of it. Scouts' honor, cross my heart and all that.
I believe it! :)

Gosh, Jon, your ability to restrict those sticky buns to one every few months is tops!

I'd be applying restrictions alright... I'd be consuming one or two a week! I have absolutely zero willpower when it comes to baked goods. :giggle:

Around 5 am,the birdies woke me up but was able to go back to sleep for an hr
My early walk at 6:30 it was 65,no humidity,came back and watered garden plants/flowers
This morning,strolling over 2 blocks for weekly 'catch up' with close friends,Marcia&Dave.I see Marcia most of the time {she's retired}but not hubby Dave,son Alexei, both are school teachers in different schools.I'll get to see my 'buddy boy' Aker again
I have no other plans,go for afternoon walk,read my book

Staying low key today as we got a call last night one of my wife’s sisters passed yesterday. She didn’t sleep well last night and is pretty upset. She had nine sisters and have lost many of them.
Deeply sorry for your loss.
Losing family is such a great loss to have to go through.
Take care of yourself and your wife, through this sad and hard time.
GOD BLESS YOU BOTH and YOUR FAMILY.

I said i thought i was going to do branch and twig clean up yesterday in the front yard.
But.
Yesterday was a repeat of thursday night......high winds 60/80, rain......decided to leave it for today.
A big mess.
Have a Elm tree in the front......belongs to the town because it on the boulevard......full of dead branches and twigs.
Hopefully mow after.

Just finished some editorial work, so going to get a workout in and play it by ear the rest of the day and night.

I was able to get so much done on my day off yesterday. Went for a 1-hour jog, mowed the lawn, did laundry, cleaned the house and watched the Roland-Garros French Open men's semi-final match........great match to watch, but unfortunately and suprisingly (on clay) Rafael Nadal (my fav), did not win. I'll still watch the men's final on Sunday at 9am, Stefanos Tsitsipas -vs- Novak Djokovic, but not as exciting without Rafa.

Last edited:
Do you have a target date for when you hope to move?
I have surgery in a week so about 3 weeks or so after surgery when I am not in screaming pain. I can’t decide if I want to sell to a flipper or use a normal real estate. Family thinks we will get more from a normal sale but selling to a flipper is less stressful and nerve wracking. Also a flippers closes in a couple days.

This morning woke up around 5 not because of birds chirping,was able to go back for 1 hr.
When I took short walk at 6:30,it was a cool 64,then watered the plants in garden
This morning I'll be walking to/from my church for our 10:30 in person service.Last Sun was the reopening of our church since 2nd week in March 2020.There was a good turnout,our minister Tom who is retiring at the end of this month was happy with turnout We were all wearing masks/social distancing,I recognized most members,a few had no idea who they were
The rest of my day,read the paper,go for afternoon walk,read my book

Today, I am going to mop the floor, kitchen and bathroom. Depending on the weather, I might take a ride to Tops. Then getting a package of photos ready to mail to my cousin in Arizona. Working on a photo album for my son and one for my brother for Christmas presents. Making sure to date, name people and put location on the back of each one. Still drinking coffee right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back