What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you doing this to prepare the house for sale? If so, I would start a ledger for th amount of money you are spending for products and for the amount of time you are investing in the property. You should be repayed in the divorce settlement.

Are you doing this to prepare the house for sale? If so, I would start a ledger for th amount of money you are spending for products and for the amount of time you are investing in the property. You should be repayed in the divorce settlement.
do you mean me ?... No I'm not doing this to prepare the house for sale.. it's just normal regular maintenance.. and I wouldn't be able to claim this back anyway, because this house is in my name only... , not that I would have anyway tbh

I got a peep-hole for my front door - saves lots of aggravation (-:
I have a peephole, too, but it doesn't help when the door is already wide open. 🥴 I was really aggravated yesterday!

I got an unexpected visit from the guy who was supposed to plant azaleas for me over two months ago. I'd previously called the office a few times asking why they hadn't sent someone out to do the job and was told they were backed up, but they'd be out soon. I specifically asked that their office call me and let me know when they'd be coming to plant them, so I'd be sure to be at home. Well, about 2:30 in the afternoon, I heard a bang on my front door. I was startled because I wasn't expecting anyone. Not to mention, I was sitting in the living room in my skivvies because it was so hot, and had my headphones on. I did have the phone next to me, so I'd hear it ring if I got a call from anyone.

I couldn't go to the door because of the way I wasn't dressed, lol, so I asked who it was out the window and asked him to go to my kitchen door. Well, he stormed off in a huff. I ran upstairs to put on a pair of pants, which just took a couple of minutes. I opened the door in the kitchen, and he wasn't there. So, I went outside and saw one of the crew just finishing up the planting. After saying hello to him, I asked where his boss was, and he said he'd left!

I was p*ssed. After making me wait over two months to have those darn bushes planted, he didn't even have the courtesy to wait a minute to speak with me. I called the office but no one answered, so I had to leave a message. If they don't get back to me on Monday, I'll call again. I have a few things to say about how things were handled.

There wouldn't have been an issue if they had simply honored my request to let me know when they'd be coming. Why they didn't do that is beyond me. The guy was a rude, arrogant jerk to behave that way, and I'm going to let them know it. I have other jobs that need to be done, and I'm also going to let them know they won't be doing them for me. Why would I re-hire a company that takes two months to plant four bushes and sends a jerk to do it? They obviously have better things to do and don't need my business. I have better things to do as well, like spending my money elsewhere. "One and done!"

I had a new roof installed in January. After the roof was completed, the next afternoon I was cooking and turned on the overhead range hood fan. I heard all this clanging and shut it off immediately. 😳 WTF. I removed the screens and saw wood chips and roofing material laying on them. Again, WTF? Somehow they managed to drop that crap down the pipe, and it literally hit the fan. 😖 I left the screens out to show the roofer, and he said that it never should have happened. Great. So, when are you going to fix the fan? I'm still waiting. I finally called him and left a message yesterday, and I'm waiting for a call back. There's a five-year warranty, so he might not want to fix the fan, but he's going to.

I hate to say this, but I know it's true. If my husband was still living, none of this would've happened. Both companies would've taken care of business when and how they should've.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for letting me get that off my chest! 🙂

Bella ✌️

Good grief Bella... what a carry on, and I do agree with you tho', it's the same here, these types never seem to talk to a householder when it's the man dealing with them ..but you're absolutely right, not one single cent should ever go to that company again for any other work

Today, I came across, quite by chance, a blazer that just has my name all over it. The style that I like can be very difficult to locate, so, instead of searching for blazers, or menswear or some other similar title, I searched for fabric, hoping that If I find what I want, a tailor can do the rest. By chance I came across a theatrical costumiers, they had the blazer. I've left them a message and will give them a call on Monday.
Striped-Blazer.jpg

I hate to admit it but I was the one that took care of all the repairs done in my home. My husband always worked much longer hours so I got a lot of experience handling the plumber, electrcian, roofers. I did not enjoy it but got it done. The one time he did it he paid someone in advance to paint the trim on the house. Funny, they took the money and never showed up to do the work,

I have a peephole, too, but it doesn't help when the door is already wide open. 🥴 I was really aggravated yesterday!

I got an unexpected visit from the guy who was supposed to plant azaleas for me over two months ago. I'd previously called the office a few times asking why they hadn't sent someone out to do the job and was told they were backed up, but they'd be out soon. I specifically asked that their office call me and let me know when they'd be coming to plant them, so I'd be sure to be at home. Well, about 2:30 in the afternoon, I heard a bang on my front door. I was startled because I wasn't expecting anyone. Not to mention, I was sitting in the living room in my skivvies because it was so hot, and had my headphones on. I did have the phone next to me, so I'd hear it ring if I got a call from anyone.

I couldn't go to the door because of the way I wasn't dressed, lol, so I asked who it was out the window and asked him to go to my kitchen door. Well, he stormed off in a huff. I ran upstairs to put on a pair of pants, which just took a couple of minutes. I opened the door in the kitchen, and he wasn't there. So, I went outside and saw one of the crew just finishing up the planting. After saying hello to him, I asked where his boss was, and he said he'd left!

I was p*ssed. After making me wait over two months to have those darn bushes planted, he didn't even have the courtesy to wait a minute to speak with me. I called the office but no one answered, so I had to leave a message. If they don't get back to me on Monday, I'll call again. I have a few things to say about how things were handled.

There wouldn't have been an issue if they had simply honored my request to let me know when they'd be coming. Why they didn't do that is beyond me. The guy was a rude, arrogant jerk to behave that way, and I'm going to let them know it. I have other jobs that need to be done, and I'm also going to let them know they won't be doing them for me. Why would I re-hire a company that takes two months to plant four bushes and sends a jerk to do it? They obviously have better things to do and don't need my business. I have better things to do as well, like spending my money elsewhere. "One and done!"

I had a new roof installed in January. After the roof was completed, the next afternoon I was cooking and turned on the overhead range hood fan. I heard all this clanging and shut it off immediately. 😳 WTF. I removed the screens and saw wood chips and roofing material laying on them. Again, WTF? Somehow they managed to drop that crap down the pipe, and it literally hit the fan. 😖 I left the screens out to show the roofer, and he said that it never should have happened. Great. So, when are you going to fix the fan? I'm still waiting. I finally called him and left a message yesterday, and I'm waiting for a call back. There's a five-year warranty, so he might not want to fix the fan, but he's going to.

I hate to say this, but I know it's true. If my husband was still living, none of this would've happened. Both companies would've taken care of business when and how they should've.

Bella ✌️
Vent away. You have every reason to be angry and frustrated. Besides, the azaleas would have had a better chance of getting established if they were put in two months ago. I don't know where you are, but here in NE Ohio, it's been hot and dry, until yesterday, when we got an inch of rain. Now, you will probably have to water them daily, and perhaps put lawn furniture over them to protect from the sun. I feel your pain!

Vent away. You have every reason to be angry and frustrated. Besides, the azaleas would have had a better chance of getting established if they were put in two months ago. I don't know where you are, but here in NE Ohio, it's been hot and dry, until yesterday, when we got an inch of rain. Now, you will probably have to water them daily, and perhaps put lawn furniture over them to protect from the sun. I feel your pain!
Thanks, Em. 🙂 Yeah, I know they should've been planted when the weather was cooler. It's been hot here, too, but, oh well... :rolleyes: They're in the ground now, and I'll water them every day. 🚿 When I speak to them about the jerk they sent to do the job, I also plan on telling them that if the azaleas don't make it, it'll be their fault because they dogged it on planting them when they should've been planted. I doubt that it'll make an impression on them, but I'll tell them anyway. Meanwhile, I'll do my best to keep them alive.🪴🪴🪴🪴

Bella ✌️

I hate to admit it but I was the one that took care of all the repairs done in my home. My husband always worked much longer hours so I got a lot of experience handling the plumber, electrcian, roofers. I did not enjoy it but got it done. The one time he did it he paid someone in advance to paint the trim on the house. Funny, they took the money and never showed up to do the work,
well I have to admit my husband did all the house maintenance, he's very clever like that. He would do all the repairs in the house too, Plumbing Electrics, carpentry.. car repairs.. you name it he could do it.. but I always helped out, and the fact that I'd been on my own after my first divorce for 16 years before we married , meant I'd learned to paint and do general maintenance anyway, which thank goodness means that I can do some for myself now..

You probably all think I'm a bit touched in the head, but I've just been and mowed the lawns now... ( after having painted all the upstairs doors today).. I wasn't going to because it was forecast to rain at 4pm.. but when I saw no rain at 5pm.. I thought, I really want to get all those dried leaves up, they're such an eyesore, so I went out and did it.. ..just the back not the front.. the front didn't need anything doing
..finished up quickly.. washed up, and had my dinner.. Chicken Noodle soup, with sugar snap peas, and Porcini mushroom truffle Ravioli ...and it's 6.15pm and it still hasn't rained...

Last edited:
The past few days I got up before 4 am. Just couldn't fall back to sleep. Got up, fed dog and took a walk with her way down the street. It was so nice out there at 6 am. And hardly any people out. Ran into one lady and chatted with her about her dog and grooming. Suzy and her dog liked each other and Suzy wanted to play. It's funny but she likes long haired shaggy dogs most of all. She wants to play with them all! I know she was glad to get out for a long walk. We haven't gone that far in quite awhile and mostly because I didn't feel up to it. Luckily today I did, yay!

I'll be having my country ribs again tonight and Suzy gets a little bit too. We are all listening to "dirty blues" on Youtube. I have a subscription to them now instead of spotify. I needed the change. I love how they have tons of blues instrumentals to listen to for hours.

Have a good weekend everyone! I am!

son just called, on his way over to borrow my edge trimmer and leaf blower, prepping for the grandson's birthday. My sweet little grandson is going to be 9. Where did the time go, it went so much faster than my son. I need another grand child soon.!

son just called, on his way over to borrow my edge trimmer and leaf blower, prepping for the grandson's birthday. My sweet little grandson is going to be 9. Where did the time go, it went so much faster than my son. I need another grand child soon.!
I have twin great-grandsons in another state, but we are keeping both of them! In my family, I'm the borrower of lawn power equipment from my daughter' house and the lender of all things construction-related. My daughter bought all electric outdoor tools, found out she didn't like dealing with extension cords, and so gladly loans them to me to live in my shed. For me, dealing with the cords is easier than heavy gas-filled stuff.

Enjoy your grandson's 9th birthday. Blink and he will be giving you great-grandkids!

Yesterday we gave our inside freezer a long overdue defrosting and disposed of some long forgotten things well past their usable life. We still have to tackle the other freezers, but that might wait for another day.
Today there is the local Vintage vehicle rally in the playing field - back after missing two years due to Covid. I don't usually go as it looks like the same things every year. Many other towns have similar events at this time, but I get the feeling that they're a 'get together' for owners more than a display for the public.
modelt.jpg
In nearest 'big' town.

vintage1.jpg

In my village. Buildings in the background are the old school (left) and Church of Scotland manse (right).

In past years most villages had fairs. As well as traditional sports, many of these were when farmers would hire seasonal labourers, and also a occasion where people might hope to meet a partner from a neighbouring village.

Last edited:
Yesterday we gave our inside freezer a long overdue defrosting and disposed of some long forgotten things well past their usable life. We still have to tackle the other freezers, but that might wait for another day.
Today there is the local Vintage vehicle rally in the playing field - back after missing two years due to Covid. I don't usually go as it looks like the same things every year. Many other towns have similar events at this time, but I get the feeling that they're a 'get together' for owners more than a display for the public.
You are probably right about the owners getting together, it's why I have never joined the MG or any other car club.
Next weekend the Borough of Poole in Dorset stage a free event called Poole Goes Vintage. The front page of that link shows my old MG, upstaging a bevy of young beauties. The event is held on Poole Quay and it's free. There's bands, stalls and lots of amusements, it's always a crowd pleaser.

Bella ✌️
Yes, I find this type of service often, I have a garage door opener that I have been trying to get repaired, repair man told me he'd be here two different times, never showed either time, they don't want to deal with old women, especially if she lives way in the boonies.
Yesterday I picked up an order of groceries at my Walmart, I had not used their pickup services for several weeks, it had completely changed, they'd added a new section to store and rearranged the parking so it looks like their pickup service is here to stay, I had wondered if it would be phased out after covid crisis.

I have twin great-grandsons in another state, but we are keeping both of them! In my family, I'm the borrower of lawn power equipment from my daughter' house and the lender of all things construction-related. My daughter bought all electric outdoor tools, found out she didn't like dealing with extension cords, and so gladly loans them to me to live in my shed. For me, dealing with the cords is easier than heavy gas-filled stuff.
I agree, @Em in Ohio. Same here. The electric tools are easier to manage and maintain, so I'm willing to deal with the cord. I've checked out all types of battery-powered and gas-fueled equipment. Yes, both types can be heavy. I'm a little gal, so how much a tool weighs is an issue for me, because holding it up and operating it for any length of time becomes a real struggle. I'm always very careful when using corded tools so I don't accidentally cut the cord or electrocute myself. 27

Bella ✌️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back