What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to all for your kind words and hugs.
I guess I owe you kind folks a bit of an explanation. As you may know, I had to go to Florida to take care of my elderly mom (97) and give my sister a break. (as she's dealing with a sick husband). Well, earlier this last month, mom took a turn for the worse and was embarrassed because she was losing her bodily functions. At the same time, brother's wife is diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer. Next thing, mom heads to the toilet without asking for help and slips, lands in the tub, and breaks her shoulder. Ambulance ride to the hospital. This happens around 8:45 am. Fast forward to 11:30 and we're still sitting in the emergency room. No one has even looked at her yet. :mad: Finally get her shoulder set and get in a private room... At 8:00pm. Sister flies back and tells me she has found and paid for an assisted living home about 5 minute's from her place. Once the hospital releases her, I drive her to New Mexico. She's not doing well and on July 24th passes. :( Now the real aggravation starts. She wants to be cremated and interned next to dad. Sounds easy enough, however, in stupid, jerk water Albuquerque, we are told that a majority of the next of kin must agree to cremation. Now sis knows that's what mom wants, but, my brother doesn't think so. Now, who do you suppose has to be the tie breaker? Yours truly.
Well, I cast the deciding vote and this past Friday they did the cremation. Yes, mom has laid in a morgue since July 24. o_O:mad: Will have to go back to NM. on the 24th of this month for the burial.
Now, all this stuff is bad enough, but yesterday, I got a call from Arkansas and my beautiful house has burnt to the ground. :cry:

house.jpg disaster.jpg

I guess I owe you kind folks a bit of an explanation. As you may know, I had to go to Florida to take care of my elderly mom (97) and give my sister a break. (as she's dealing with a sick husband). Well, earlier this last month, mom took a turn for the worse and was embarrassed because she was losing her bodily functions. At the same time, brother's wife is diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer. Next thing, mom heads to the toilet without asking for help and slips, lands in the tub, and breaks her shoulder. Ambulance ride to the hospital. This happens around 8:45 am. Fast forward to 11:30 and we're still sitting in the emergency room. No one has even looked at her yet. :mad: Finally get her shoulder set and get in a private room... At 8:00pm. Sister flies back and tells me she has found and paid for an assisted living home about 5 minute's from her place. Once the hospital releases her, I drive her to New Mexico. She's not doing well and on July 24th passes. :( Now the real aggravation starts. She wants to be cremated and interned next to dad. Sounds easy enough, however, in stupid, jerk water Albuquerque, we are told that a majority of the next of kin must agree to cremation. Now sis knows that's what mom wants, but, my brother doesn't think so. Now, who do you suppose has to be the tie breaker? Yours truly.
Well, I cast the deciding vote and this past Friday they did the cremation. Yes, mom has laid in a morgue since July 24. o_O:mad: Will have to go back to NM. on the 24th of this month for the burial.
Now, all this stuff is bad enough, but yesterday, I got a call from Arkansas and my beautiful house has burnt to the ground. :cry:

View attachment 234751 View attachment 234752
Oh no... this really has been one terrible situation after another. My heart goes out to you. :cry:

Oh my God, SD how horrible for you! I'm so deeply and truly sorry I cannot find the right words. I offered prayer for comfort and courage for you and your family. ((((❤️))))

I wish I knew what words to say to give you some comfort. There just are none, the stress of your mother's accident, then losing her would be more than most could bear at one time. To lose your beautiful home and have another family member ill. It is really important to take some time to grieve and recover your strength. Know that we care and are here for you.

Yesterday I went back to the swamp park for another walk. I didn't see any turtles, but I did see a nice little snake on the path in front of me, which I guess teaches me to watch where I'm walking. Also there was one deer.

Then today I went to the Amherst State Park (the park next to the cool looking senior housing). Before I left I carefully checked the weather and the weather radar. It was supposed to start clearing up. But halfway through my walk I heard a couple loud thunder booms. When I checked my phone it had one of those 'seek shelter now...lightning strike nearby' alerts, plus an ominous 'heavy rain expected in your location in 15 minutes'. So I retreated back to the hotel and finished my walk by going up and down the hallway.

This evening I spent a few hours scheduling fun tour activities for the next three days. I'm not looking forward to having to get up and out in the mornings for three days in a row, it is a big struggle for me to show up anywhere before 1 pm, and then I'm tuckered out and wanting to go home a few hours later.

I finally made it to the post office this morning; walked over about 10:30. I've learned not to go first thing in the morning or during the times which may be lunch hours (between 11 and 1). I was pleasantly surprised that there was no line at the pick up window, which isn't even open sometimes, necessitating standing the long "other" line. I picked up 3 packages from Amazon, 2 from my RX company and one from Lucky Vitamin. Good thing each was relatively small, even the box, and easily fit in my two shopping bags. I felt like a child at Christmas opening my stuff. 🤓

I waited until returning from the post office to shower and wash my hair. I made a couple of important calls this afternoon and really didn't do much else besides finishing a movie I'd started last week and coming to the forum.

I'm so very sorry for all you have been going through and have had to endure SD!!! :cry: Prayers going up for you during this very difficult time and I ditto @hollydolly's last reply. Please try to take care of yourself in the midst of all of this!

Has it been a week since you had hot weather ?.. wow! You can have ours ... we were supposed to get rain yesterday for the first time in weeks.. never materialised, hopefully it will today...
We had plenty of rain on Monday & Tuesday, but it's cleared up now leaving here overcast and cold. This is not too bad as I'm getting a load of logs delivered this morning. Then I have to stack them up to 'season' for a while, so I'm glad it's not warm.

No other plans for the day, usual read NYT, my book do couple games on my smartphone
I love it that reading your book is always on your list. Not a day goes by, no matter what, that I don't read. I also read the papers online (WAPO and NYT), and play games on my computer. But reading is my favorite activity.

I need to start taking walks, like you do. I will when I move in a few days.

I went to my room to call my cousin at 8 p.m. I instantly fell asleep and woke up at 2, so now I'm up, and it is too early to talk to my cousin. I have big plans for today: packing, cleaning, laundry, finding someone to move some furniture to my husband's house. This is stuff he wants. Hopefully going to the post office to mail some boxes. No more avoidance! I am now moving on Monday instead of tomorrow.

I also have discuss with my daughter what I am packing to send to her, so I don't overdo it. She has reminded me that she took nearly everything she wanted, but now that she will be living on her own (soon), she will need some of the stuff. There is also her big stuffed pink dog that looks like a pig to me -- she couldn't fit it in her suitcase, and she wants it! She really wants it!

For the last week, every time I drive into the driveway, a rabbit darts across it and then freezes on the lawn. My son very gently tells the rabbit to skedaddle because I don't want it to run across the driveway again in case I hit it. They are so small and cute and the neighborhood has tons of them. My dog follows rabbit trails. If I let him do it as much as he wants, I'd be physically fit. He never finds a rabbit because they are too smart to be waiting around for him. I wouldn't let him near one.

Today I realized I am like the rabbits. I feel so overwhelmed that I have been avoiding getting enough done each day. I'm like the frozen rabbit. I really want to hide and not deal with anything or anyone. Well, that changes today! This isn't my usual way of being. Usually I tackle big projects and problems with gusto!

OMG, I am so sorry for what you have been through. Praying for you to have the strength to endure this hard chapter of life. So sorry about your Mom.

Not sure what today will be like. Dealing with the problem of my son's lost apartment keys. I hope his landlord will be kind enough to get him new ones. If he brings me the keys and tells me I have to get the copies made I guess I will have to find a way to get somewhere to do it. I don't care if he adds more to the rent next month for the new keys. But I need new keys and copies for me too. So this is all I can think about this morning right now..........and coffee.

@squatting dog
I too, am speechless.
I am so deeply sorry for the great losses you have gone through, it’s more than anyone person should have had to.
Your mom will be a great loss to you, I’m sure. You did and did more, being the loving son that you are. Take comfort knowing that she knew you did your best for her.
She carries you in her heart, as well as you do with hers.
Your house, your beautiful home, gone. Wish that was a bad dream…..but sadly it can’t be. So sorry.
May she REST IN PEACE. and she will.
To have another family ill……it is too much.

Please know we are all here for you in any way, shape or form.
PLEASE reach out to us…..we want to be your strength and support.
PLEASE , TAKE CARE…..My prayers and loving thoughts are will you.

Well it might be a good thing that I missed the pool this morning.. I felt that my back was just not getting better so I called my primary doctor and asked for an appointment, none available until the end of the month until I explained that I was in some discomfort.. she got the triage team to decide whether I could have an emergency appointment today.. and the answer was affirmative... long story short... turns out I have 2 Broken Ribs.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:..

It would appear that this probably happened some time ago an older injury that didn't fully heal .. and then probably the use of heavy gardening equipment ( tree pruners etc) recently .. have caused the ribs to break again.. *sigh*... no wonder my back has been hurting for the last few weeks !!

Anyway apparently I have to let them heal by themselves, no special treatment.. only paracetamol..or Ibuprofen.. then go back in 4 weeks if they've not healed

Anyway after that I went and had my nails done... cheer myself up.. mistake really because I was in the chair for an hour and a half, and in one position , so my back was hurting like Billy-O..oh well never mind, I've got them done now..

Verrrrry hot out there... stopped off and had a cold drink at the pub... gonna be even hotter tomorrow .

Pool opens at 7am..I might go anyway.. :eek::LOL:

Oh dear! I am just finally reading this post of yours, today. 😳
I am so sorry you've had this rib injury, Holly! 😟😣😖😫
Though it is good that you were able to have it checked that same day, and that now you know what you must and must not do. NOT fun, though!😕

So very sorry for you in this dreadful timesad.gif

This morning DH & I are going to listen to a personalized zoom presentation about solar panels for our house. This is being done through our power company, not through solar panel providers. Our power company acts as a liaison so the solar company doesn't have our contact details and won't be giving the hard sell.

Should be interesting. We're looking at solar with back up batteries and without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back