What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiraeth2018

It's 10 am on a Friday... just like yesterday or the day before or the day before that... but wait!
TODAY some excitement! I am having a gas insert placed into my wood burning fireplace. I'm sure "we" have many opinions here about what is better to burn but I am soooooo looking forward to not having to storing wood, chopping my own kindling, tracking wood chips, dirt and critters into my living room! With the cost of $150-250 per cord of wood here I am bowing down to the convenience of clicking a button and presto... clean fire and warmth for the damp winter here on the NW Pacific coast!

It's 10 am on a Friday... just like yesterday or the day before or the day before that... but wait!
TODAY some excitement! I am having a gas insert placed into my wood burning fireplace. I'm sure "we" have many opinions here about what is better to burn but I am soooooo looking forward to not having to storing wood, chopping my own kindling, tracking wood chips, dirt and critters into my living room! With the cost of $150-250 per cord of wood here I am bowing down to the convenience of clicking a button and presto... clean fire and warmth for the damp winter here on the NW Pacific coast!
Good for you. Watching a wood fire and enjoying the smell is great for a few hours, but it gets old pretty fast. We had a big ice storm here in Jan a few years ago that took out all of our power and block all roads for 5 days. I heated the house with wood and did all of the cooking in pots hung from a chain inside the fireplace. We stayed warm and ate well, but I sure got tired of dragging in firewood from the back of our lot.

It is Field Day Friday today, and I am taking a snack break from running the vacuum upstairs. I have the downstairs to vacuum next and the main bathroom after that. This housekeeping man's work is almost done for the day. My wife still does a bigger share of the work and fixes a nice dinner to boot. I come out way ahead in this deal, and I am wise enough to know it.

I don't have a fireplace, never wanted one but I'd probably opt for gas too if I did. I don't like the smell of wood burning fireplaces. As far as what I'm doing to day....a lot of nothing! I did run the dishwasher, watched a little T.V. and caught up with some social networking here. But I have not done a thing that I planned to do today chore wise. I think my body is telling me it's tired...and I'm listening.

Nothing.....Waiting for the ground to dry up after the storm.
It got to 104 before I could go out!!!
tenor.gif

Saturday morning right now 6.30. We’re up and drinking coffee. We’ll throw on some clothes shortly so I can follow Ron who’s driving his work car to the dealership so he can drop it off to get it serviced.

The rest of the day will be spent on house renovations. The punch list includes putting the doors back on the newly painted and renovated guest room and closet, taping and prepping and beginning painting of the guest bathroom, a run to goodwill for a bunch of stuff Ron’s daughter left behind, and installing lights into the headboard of the guest bed.

I also need to get online and do some research so I can order some bits and pieces for our wedding...not quite a month and a half to go!!

9 AM Saturday. A cool day with threat of rain. Just started my first of several loads of laundry. Going to sort through my many, many books to see if there are any I am willing to part with before my move. I have loads of books. WOW>
I have spent years slowly divesting myself of my extensive book collection. I had bookshelves in every room and they were all filled. It was a slow, and sometimes painful process. My kids are all acid book lovers too though, so the most significant/sentimental ones have made their way to the family’ various bookshelves.

These days I get my fill through audio books via the library app. A never ending supply of all my favorite reading material at the clock of a button!

I have spent years slowly divesting myself of my extensive book collection. I had bookshelves in every room and they were all filled. It was a slow, and sometimes painful process. My kids are all acid book lovers too though, so the most significant/sentimental ones have made their way to the family’ various bookshelves.

These days I get my fill through audio books via the library app. A never ending supply of all my favorite reading material at the clock of a button!
About ten years ago I ditched my many hundreds of books, mostly to the library. Some wound up on lending shelves, others were sold during their fundraising events.

I now own roughly 30 books, give or take. Most are cookbooks that I could purge, but since they're not in my way they'll get to live with me for a while longer.

Raining and cold today... can't believe it's August Bank Holiday... ( National Holiday over 3 or 4 days for most, except retail and emergency staff)

I haven't been out for weeks , but today I'd had enough of cabin fever, and took my poorly back out to fetch some Carpet cleaner in the nearby town about 20 mile round trip.. . It gave my car a run out as well, and I was able to fuel up as well while I was out..

Couldn't believe how packed the town was when I got there.. heaving with people.. on the last National Holiday before Christmas this weekend is known for leaving towns and cities empty while people fly off to nicer climes.. but of course no-one can go at the moment unless they quarantine..

I ended up buying much more than just the carpet cleaner.. fortunately my o/h was at home , so he was able to get everything out of the car for me... but my back is killing me now... :cry:..my own fault of course, but it was joy to get out and see the world for the first time in 3 weeks..

About ten years ago I ditched my many hundreds of books, mostly to the library. Some wound up on lending shelves, others were sold during their fundraising events.

I now own roughly 30 books, give or take. Most are cookbooks that I could purge, but since they're not in my way they'll get to live with me for a while longer.
I consider cookbooks in a class of their own. I have several treasured ones and I’ve made all kinds of notes in them about substitutions or don’t try this one again 😂 or whatever. I also have a couple binders that have recipes I’ve printed off or cut out of a magazine in the early days.

My daughter wants them all when I’m gone. She wants to make sure she knows how to make some of the family’s favorite dishes,especially as she saw me struggle for her whole life to emulate some of my own mother’s recipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back