What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting for repair man to come fix our piece of junk dishwasher. Less than three years old and has quit twice on us already. Last time a wire came loose from the motor. Top of the line my arse..:mad:
nothing is made the way it used to be, anymore. I spent 20 years in Quality Assurance for Aerospace and Defence Industries. At that time, people learned a skill and took pride in their work. The better you were at your job, the more money you made.

Now a days, people do not get a job because they are qualified, but they get their job because of who they are related to. Mom, Dad, Uncle (whoever) get them a job. It's very sad. 😢

nothing is made the way it used to be, anymore. I spent 20 years in Quality Assurance for Aerospace and Defence Industries. At that time, people learned a skill and took pride in their work. The better you were at your job, the more money you made.

Now a days, people do not get a job because they are qualified, but they get their job because of who they are related to. Mom, Dad, Uncle (whoever) get them a job. It's very sad. 😢
That's so true in many cases...

Yesterday was a good day. I got to go to Rite Aid to get my flu and booster shots. All went well. No effects from that at all. To celebrate, I bought 2 king size Payday candy bars, which I gobbled right up. I also bought a back stabilizer. I hope it works because I get severe pain from arthritis in my spine, from doing anything that involves bending. It was so exciting to be in a store again! My daughter and dog were waiting in the car, or I would have looked at everything, just for the fun of it.

Unlike last week, when there were tons of people waiting in line for their shots, no one was there but me. I had to take off my barn coat and a fleece-lined flannel shirt, which I had worn a t-shirt under. I said to the pharmacist that I was sure a lot of people were wearing t-shirts to get their shots, and he said no, hardly anyone did. I wonder if most people had to take off their shirts. I'm not going to do that in front of a pharmacist!

Yesterday I did a bunch of things - mostly in my bedroom. Put winter clothes away, put summer clothes in the second dresser. Mourned the loss of my size 6 clothing. I decided not to wear size 6 again because I am too thin and it makes my face look older. Good thing, because I gained weight as a side effect of the chemo I was on. A little to much for my liking (20 lbs, need to lose 10). I also gathered the reams of paperwork I have. There are at least 5" of cancer-related paperwork, and I am going to toss a lot of it. I don't really foresee a need to have a piece of paper for every time I had chemo, for example. At least I didn't take home paperwork from Rite Aid. I thought that it was like junk mail, since I already know about those vaccinations. The pharmacist must have seen a look on my face that prompted him to ask if I wanted him to throw it away for me!

So today, some kitchen stuff, some bedroom stuff, the usual. I dread going through all that paperwork - some of it is my husband's and most of it is I don't know what. There is also lots of unopened mail that belongs to me. Mostly because I was too sick to deal with it, and partly because my daughter ignores the mail basket, and just leaves it everywhere. I usually discover it by accident. This may have something to do with her ADD.

I see that Thanksgiving is this week, so I'm going to try to talk my daughter into retrieving our turkey from my husband's house. This will give me the chance to see if my stash of bone broth is still within the expiration date, so I can bring it home. My daughter hates going there. She is already disgruntled because her father and my husband (same guy) is joining us for Thanksgiving dinner. No matter how she feels, he is not going to be left alone on Thanksgiving. Her biggest problem is that he does not agree with her social and political views, and it makes her mad. All of our kids intentionally bait him into saying things they don't agree with.
Unfortunately, when 2 people are at odds with each, they don't seem to realize how much stress they are creating for those around them.....I see it every Thanksgiving & Christmas. 😢

There are not celebrations for Thanksgiving in Australia and I do miss that. Anyway, there are some people who have been so kind and helpful to us, that we have decided to celebrate with them this weekend. We invited five couples and the two of us makes 12. They have accepted our invitation for a get together at our house and now I have prepared the menu. Most of the food can be prepared in advance:

Chicken Dhansak (Indian)

Beef Daube (French)

Moroccan Rice ( goes with both of the above)

French cutlets and a huge salad.

The local French patisserie say if I order by tomorrow morning, they can fulfil my order for Saturday for petit fours and tiny eclairs!

Trila, you are invited!

Because of the problems with flooding at the coast we have people hoarding again, stores limiting how many loaves of bread, how much milk, etc. because the trucks can't get through. Most are starting to go through Alberta to get to the BC interior. So today was shopping day, our son and I shop every Monday. DH can't drink regular milk, and I was actually able to find 2 half gallons of lactose free milk. That was all I could find. Most stores were out. I feel for families with children. There were lots of empty shelves, but I managed to find most of what we needed. I did 4 grocery stores today..lots of walking! Already tired I had made an appt to see a nearly new disability scooter, because my very old scooter died. So we get over there and because it is a not so good area of town we made sure we took no money. Turned out it was really nice and and we settled on a very cheap price, so off the the bank. Then out for dinner..........its still several hours till bedtime and I am dragging! BUT I sure like my new scooter!

Because of the problems with flooding at the coast we have people hoarding again, stores limiting how many loaves of bread, how much milk, etc. because the trucks can't get through. Most are starting to go through Alberta to get to the BC interior. So today was shopping day, our son and I shop every Monday. DH can't drink regular milk, and I was actually able to find 2 half gallons of lactose free milk. That was all I could find. Most stores were out. I feel for families with children. There were lots of empty shelves, but I managed to find most of what we needed. I did 4 grocery stores today..lots of walking! Already tired I had made an appt to see a nearly new disability scooter, because my very old scooter died. So we get over there and because it is a not so good area of town we made sure we took no money. Turned out it was really nice and and we settled on a very cheap price, so off the the bank. Then out for dinner..........its still several hours till bedtime and I am dragging! BUT I sure like my new scooter!
I'm so sorry for what your province is having to experience.
Must be so devastating.
Are you dealing with flooding where you are.

I'm so sorry for what your province is having to experience.
Must be so devastating.
Are you dealing with flooding where you are.
No we are not having any problems with flooding, we are several hundred miles north of there. Plus we haven't had the rain they have been getting (and worse, more to come). The problem is with trucks getting through, since pretty much the highways are closed due to mud slides etc. Tonight on our way down town for dinner there was a truck from Alberta, heading to Safeway. Then even if there had been a problem here we live at the top of a pretty tall hill.

What I said yesterday. The other half of orientation for the new job. Information overload! So many questions and so much stress/anxiety. I'll be glad when this stuff is done, and there's a schedule.

Actually, there's so much info/contradictory info between what I've been told and what's in the employee handbook that I've been seriously thinking about keeping the biscuit-making job. Really. Seriously. But then there's getting up at 3am to be at work at 4am, an awful inconvenience for DD, who drives me.

At the biscuit store they expect absolutely nothing from me except to show up, make biscuits, clean up, go home. Nothing else.

Except that I don't feel safe where only three of us mask up and are vaccinated.

New job? There are so many rules/regulations/policies and at last count, five different websites to go to depending on the circumstances. I'm overwhelmed to the point of frustration and even intimidation. I'm hoping that the rest of orientation clears up all this stuff. My head is exploding🤯 Oy!

I need prayers and positive thoughts.

Then home to make cheesecake and do whatever else can be done in advance of T'Day dinner.

What I said yesterday. The other half of orientation for the new job. Information overload! So many questions and so much stress/anxiety. I'll be glad when this stuff is done, and there's a schedule.

Actually, there's so much info/contradictory info between what I've been told and what's in the employee handbook that I've been seriously thinking about keeping the biscuit-making job. Really. Seriously. But then there's getting up at 3am to be at work at 4am, an awful inconvenience for DD, who drives me.

At the biscuit store they expect absolutely nothing from me except to show up, make biscuits, clean up, go home. Nothing else.

Except that I don't feel safe where only three of us mask up and are vaccinated.

New job? There are so many rules/regulations/policies and at last count, five different websites to go to depending on the circumstances. I'm overwhelmed to the point of frustration and even intimidation. I'm hoping that the rest of orientation clears up all this stuff. My head is exploding🤯 Oy!

I need prayers and positive thoughts.

Then home to make cheesecake and do whatever else can be done in advance of T'Day dinner.
Oy vey, orientation is certainly not for the faint of heart! Hang in there, @GeorgiaXplant, we’re all rooting for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back