What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kaila and @WheatenLover and @MickaC I could write volumes. I did at one time, then after the first not-heart attack (we'll call them "episodes") I deleted all of it because I didn't want DD to find it saved in Word after I die. Then I started it up again, deleted it again after the second episode. I don't feel like I can even journal for fear of hard feelings after I've become a crispy critter.

All those words are backed up in my head. It may very well explode soon, and I'll be a case study in a med school text or a documentary on TV about the woman whose head exploded.

I get so tired of trying to discuss a subject, any subject, and being interrupted before even finishing a sentence, with DD almost every time pointing out that what she thinks I'm going to say is wrong. I want to tell her "Halt die Klapper!"

Neither of them can just speak, they shout. I guess that's to make sure that if I dare to say anything, their voices will drown out mine.

I just thought of something. Staying at the biscuit store means I don't get to have blue hair again😭😭😭

>>>>>Gramma leaves the room to find a hole to crawl into
Hey so open a thread in the diary section, like I did and others have, and say what you want to say, like I did. Get it all out, every dang word of everything on your mind. Purge it all. I saw a therapist and this is what she recommended. No one wanted to listen to this old lady either. And I had stuff I wanted to say.

People here will read what you write and comment or not. And you can respond to the comments or not. But no one will tell you what you can and can not write. My children seldom listen to me now. They feel free to interrupt and correct me and give their own opinions before I even finish a sentence. 🤦🏻‍♀️

You can write your whole life down in the diary thread. 😊. Go to it @GeorgiaXplant

Yesterday and today I've slept for about 35 hours total! This is the first time I've been up that I haven't felt very sleepy. I tried to read while I was awake, but my eyes kept closing involuntarily. Couldn't get past a paragraph.

My daughter showed me the fridge. She cleaned it out. She threw away my bacon, which was unopened and only expired today! Since she was 6 years old, she's been the expiration date police. The fridge is practically empty except for the door and the turkey. So we had KFC tonight. The turkey looks so small (13 lbs).

My daughter is making pumpkin pies. She is full of culinary plans. My husband is excited about being here for Thanksgiving, so I hope she uses my recipes. The only time he's ever tried anything new, my daughter had to fool him by telling him it was ravioli. He ate it all, so he must have liked it. In reality it was some kind of dumpling recipe from Afghanistan, nothing like ravioli. At the time, we were going through the alphabet trying recipes from different countries. Thus my discovery of how much I dislike curry.
OMGOSH I would have cooked all that bacon today and froze it, well, froze some, well, ok, froze a couple of pieces at least, maybe. Although, I have found under the right circumstances I can eat an awful lot of bacon. 😊

But “expiration police” so funny. 😂😂😂

What I said yesterday. The other half of orientation for the new job. Information overload! So many questions and so much stress/anxiety. I'll be glad when this stuff is done, and there's a schedule.

Actually, there's so much info/contradictory info between what I've been told and what's in the employee handbook that I've been seriously thinking about keeping the biscuit-making job. Really. Seriously. But then there's getting up at 3am to be at work at 4am, an awful inconvenience for DD, who drives me.

At the biscuit store they expect absolutely nothing from me except to show up, make biscuits, clean up, go home. Nothing else.

Except that I don't feel safe where only three of us mask up and are vaccinated.

New job? There are so many rules/regulations/policies and at last count, five different websites to go to depending on the circumstances. I'm overwhelmed to the point of frustration and even intimidation. I'm hoping that the rest of orientation clears up all this stuff. My head is exploding🤯 Oy!

I need prayers and positive thoughts.

Then home to make cheesecake and do whatever else can be done in advance of T'Day dinner.
...you got this!
R (3).jpeg

Hey so open a thread in the diary section, like I did and others have, and say what you want to say, like I did. Get it all out, every dang word of everything on your mind. Purge it all. I saw a therapist and this is what she recommended. No one wanted to listen to this old lady either. And I had stuff I wanted to say.

People here will read what you write and comment or not. And you can respond to the comments or not. But no one will tell you what you can and can not write. My children seldom listen to me now. They feel free to interrupt and correct me and give their own opinions before I even finish a sentence. 🤦🏻‍♀️

You can write your whole life down in the diary thread. 😊. Go to it @GeorgiaXplant
I'm so sorry about the whole situation. 😢. No one should have to be so stressed and not have someone to talk to! @GeorgiaXplant you have friends here....we will listen & not judge! ❤❤❤

Today I wrote out my 1st 2 Christmas cards...both are going out of the country so I like to d do them early.
We went out on the lake for a bit...beautiful day for a boat ride.
IMG_20211123_124607.jpgIMG_20211123_124258.jpg

I didn't get much sleep last night and I was dragging all day, so I took a nap. I feel better now. So I just did some catching up here.

Next: wash dishes and go to bed!!

OMGOSH I would have cooked all that bacon today and froze it, well, froze some, well, ok, froze a couple of pieces at least, maybe. Although, I have found under the right circumstances I can eat an awful lot of bacon. 😊

But “expiration police” so funny. 😂😂😂
That's what I would have done. I think if I'd rescued the unopened package from the trash, she would have thrown a hissy fit. Or had me committed.

Today I am mostly working on my old photos project, Taking me a long time because there are a lot of them (thank you, Mom!). I don't think my aide will be coming today because she has a cold and I told her not to come until it is gone. I am not taking a chance that I will catch a cold. Right now, just coffee.

I've been awake since 3 am....I hate it when I wake up in the middle of the night and can not go back to sleep.

Today I'm going to do laundry in my new washer and dryer and my granddaughter is coming for a visit, she is going to college and working part time....she has to work tomorrow, Thanksgiving....so I'm looking forward to seeing her today.

The sun is out and shining brightly! Yay.

Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in one of the cultures that respects and reveres the elderly? I'm not just old, I'm elderly. 81 qualifies for elderly, right? My mother always said that the older we get the further away we are from old age. Maybe old age isn't until in the 90s.

It really doesn't sit well that I'm interrupted mid-sentence and responded to with what they think I was going to say. Who the heck are they to presume they know what I think? I'm also tired of the dismissiveness, as though what I do think is of no consequence. As to how I feel? I don't share that with them at all because they'd just point out that my feelings are no more valid that my opinions.

The cheesecake didn't get made yesterday so that's on the agenda today. That and pumpkin pie and peeling all those blankety-blank potatoes. For holiday meals and other special occasions, real potatoes are necessary.

Oh. And laundry. Today is laundry day.

I'm seriously thinking about...no kidding...telling Kroger that my circumstances (and therefore my availability) have changed in order to keep both jobs for the time being.

Time to get a wiggle on.

Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in one of the cultures that respects and reveres the elderly? I'm not just old, I'm elderly. 81 qualifies for elderly, right? My mother always said that the older we get the further away we are from old age. Maybe old age isn't until in the 90s.

It really doesn't sit well that I'm interrupted mid-sentence and responded to with what they think I was going to say. Who the heck are they to presume they know what I think? I'm also tired of the dismissiveness, as though what I do think is of no consequence. As to how I feel? I don't share that with them at all because they'd just point out that my feelings are no more valid that my opinions.
I've been through that with my kids, and I am 65. It started in earnest when I got cancer. It made things worse, especially when they all showed up at my house for Christmas and refused to leave unless I evicted them.

I've been through that with my kids, and I am 65. It started in earnest when I got cancer. It made things worse, especially when they all showed up at my house for Christmas and refused to leave unless I evicted them.
They what? Your house? Is that why your daughter is there? Are you recovered so that you can tell her (and whichever of the other(s) are there) to go home now? If necessary, heck, they can always come back to tell you how to live.

About the bacon...mine never turns rancid because as soon as I bring it home, I separate it into three or four slices each, wrap them, and keep them in the freezer.

I wouldn't dream of trucking on over to DD's side of the house and being the Expiration Police on the stuff in her fridge, and she wouldn't do that to me, either.

----------------------

Cheesecake and pumpkin pie are done. Dressing is done, too. I cheat on the dressing...Stove Top for Turkey with cooked crumbled pork sausage and diced apple that I add to it. The potatoes want to be peeled and cooked, but they have to wait because my back is tired. Oh...and there's also the brandied cranberries that were made a couple of weeks ago. They're hiding out in the fridge to keep them safe from DSIL until tomorrow.

If I can face the potatoes later this afternoon, that will leave only roasting the turkey breast tomorrow.

The sun is out and shining brightly! Yay.

The cheesecake didn't get made yesterday so that's on the agenda today. That and pumpkin pie and peeling all those blankety-blank potatoes. For holiday meals and other special occasions, real potatoes are necessary.

Oh. And laundry. Today is laundry day.

I'm seriously thinking about...no kidding...telling Kroger that my circumstances (and therefore my availability) have changed in order to keep both jobs for the time being.

Time to get a wiggle on.
Regardless of what you decide to do about Kroger, it doesn't matter, as long as you are happy! 😁

They what? Your house? Is that why your daughter is there? Are you recovered so that you can tell her (and whichever of the other(s) are there) to go home now? If necessary, heck, they can always come back to tell you how to live.

About the bacon...mine never turns rancid because as soon as I bring it home, I separate it into three or four slices each, wrap them, and keep them in the freezer.

I wouldn't dream of trucking on over to DD's side of the house and being the Expiration Police on the stuff in her fridge, and she wouldn't do that to me, either.

----------------------

Cheesecake and pumpkin pie are done. Dressing is done, too. I cheat on the dressing...Stove Top for Turkey with cooked crumbled pork sausage and diced apple that I add to it. The potatoes want to be peeled and cooked, but they have to wait because my back is tired. Oh...and there's also the brandied cranberries that were made a couple of weeks ago. They're hiding out in the fridge to keep them safe from DSIL until tomorrow.

If I can face the potatoes later this afternoon, that will leave only roasting the turkey breast tomorrow.
I agree....with all of it! What she said!!!!

----------------------

I know what you mean, my whole body is always tired, tomorrow I have to ORDER at the restaurant, so exhausting 😊

Last edited:
It's going to be another sunny and warm-ish day here.

As soon as I gather my wits and get my morning chores done, it's time to make our traditional holiday breakfast of sausage & cheese muffins.

Then? Peel, cook, mash 5 lbs of potatoes. Ugh.

There are two turkey breasts to roast because they're small and one won't give us enough for leftovers. Everybody knows that the day after Thanksgiving is the best day! However, they won't both fit into the oven in my apartment-size range so roasting one at a time. The first one will get done when the muffins are out of the oven.

Hope y'all have a great day 🦃

It's going to be another sunny and warm-ish day here.

As soon as I gather my wits and get my morning chores done, it's time to make our traditional holiday breakfast of sausage & cheese muffins.
You are making me jealous, living in GA as you do. I want to move back there. I like the weather and the people. I like the idea of traditional holiday breakfast, but doing that is the tipping point for me. Tips right over into get your own breakfast mode. At Christmas, I serve store-bought stollen, and if anyone wants more, they can fix it themselves.

My daughter is peeling potatoes and making the mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. She made two pies yesterday. She's never done it before, so I think I'd better remind her we need leftovers. But not of the gb casserole - I think those leftovers taste awful. The casserole itself barely passes muster. My daughter loves it, though.

My husband is coming for Thanksgiving dinner. He called to find out what time to be here, and I told him any time. He is a member of the family, after all. So, our dinner is abbreviated, but all his favorites will be part of it. And he'll be glad I don't serve the usual steamed broccoli and culiflower - I use plain steamed veg at holiday meals to make them healthier.

I have to cook the turkey because my daughter doesn't like handling it. She must have inherited the not handling raw meat gene from my mother. I am making the stuffing so I'm sure it's done right. We were going to add Italian sausage to some of it (which is good, IMO), but she forgot to buy it. No great loss. I may add apples to some of it this year. I have to make the stuffing with onions (for me, the only one who thinks it's the best part of dinner), and without onions for my husband. I am also making green beans with cranberries and almonds for my husband. He doesn't like the casserole due to the onions in it.

I am going to show my daughter how to make gravy. My secret ingredient is to make it the usual way with roux, drippings, and bone broth, and add a couple packets of Knorr gravy mix to it. That Knorr mix is great; everyone loves my gravy so much that they invite themselves to dinners. Little do they know where that great taste comes from! It's funny how good gravy brings people together.

I also have to find a place for all the stuff on the counters, courtesy of my daughter who buys things she doesn't use, but that we desperately need. Good thing she hopes to marry a house husband who cooks and cleans, takes care of the yard, and does laundry (and changes diapers, etc). :) Good luck with that! Maybe she'll find a spare for me. /joking

The boys have all moved to California. My daughter lives with me. This is her home now. She takes care of me (some cooking, all shopping, driving me to appointments) and the dog, and goes to grad school full-time, and works as a grad assistant in data analytics.

I am used to her being the expiration date police. I could have kicked her first grade teacher into next week for teaching her about that. So far I've not poisoned anyone, but that holds no water with her.

The bacon was fine. Not rancid. About to be made into milk gravy so I could have my biscuits the way I like to eat them. She is going to buy me more bacon. It now costs $9 a pound! Good thing I only eat biscuits and gravy once or twice a year. It is not healthy, and the price offends me. I would have frozen the leftover bacon. Geez.

My sister and I took on the cop role at my mother's, but half her stuff was years out of date and she didn't care.

Whaaaaat????:eek:
They looked up the law in PA and one does have to evict people, even family, who overstay their welcome for whatever the time period is. Then they decided to stay. I don't have the room for three additional adults to live with me. It's a 2-bedroom house with a small den. I didn't look up the law to find out the specifics, but I knew about it. I was just too sick. I could just make the 20 minute car ride from one house to the new one at that point. I was in bad shape from chemo. Much better now!

I am not licensed to practice in PA, so I'm not familiar with the law like I was in my former state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back