What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people will say, "Thank you, Honey" to a stranger who does them a small favor, and intend it in the kindest way.

Someone responding with "You're welcome, SWEETIE PIE" in an obviously snarky way, would be rude and uncalled for.

If the original intent is to be condescending or patronizing, I would understand taking umbrage, but if the person's only intent was to be nice, why not take it in the way it's meant?
I didn’t say I would be snarky, it would just be a general reply.

No, here it's a term of endearment...... it's only annoying when a young kid behind the checkout calls you ''luv'' or dear''
These are the people that say it the most!

Curious as how this will turn out. Three cut up chicken breast, little potatoes cut in half, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, onions and celery. Would a little flour tend to give me a thicker sauce? Oh, and we added spices too.
View attachment 226652
just for future info, you can make a roux, equal parts butter and flour. Melt the butter in a little pan, add the flour, bring mixture to a bubble for 2 or 3 minutes stirring all the while, add to dish and stir to mix. That will thicken it.

good base for lots of gravies, sauces and soups

I just went to the grocery, I used a lot of those terms while I was there. This is with people that engage me or I engage them in conversation. We don't know each other but I find it endearing. I took a cart from a lady in the parking lot, I said I will take that sweetheart. She, thank you so much. I was looking at chicken, a lady place her hand on my shoulder and said, Girl, have I lost my mind, didn't these used to be 9 or 10 dollars a package. I said, No, you have not lost your mind, shocking right?

Same lady met again in the condiment aisle, she suggested a jerk product for my chicken wings. I laughed, I am old now and the tummy does not like spicey. We both laughed. These are the kind of exchanges that all people should have with others. Both of these ladies were much younger than I, of a different race but were kind and funny, they did not care that I was just an old white lady. Not many will go out of their way to engage. I am always open to meet new people if only for a minute.

Just pulled into Haines Junction today around 4 pm. The drive from Haines, Alaska to Haines Junction, Yukon was truly lovely. High snow capped mountains, clear, warm weather and my car just humming. Saw 2 brown bears feeding along the side of the road. The lady at Canadian Customs sure had a lot of questions for me. I don't do illegal drugs so I told her that I did not have any cannabalis with me. Then I had to ask her about those other drugs she was talking about since I never heard of them. Did I have any guns? NO! Did I have any bear spray? NO! Do I have any eggs? Well, a smartie pants could really have a good laugh with that question. Not wishing to spend 4 or 5 hours at the border while they take my car apart, I just said, NO!

She wanted to know how much stuff I had bought? I said there was a bottle of booze for about $11 or $12. I had also bought a few books from a library in Haines and 1 DVD. That amount to a total of around $17 US. I suppose she thought that I sure wasn't much of a shopper and I am not. She didn't bother checking my car.

Last edited:
Off on a few days of photography trip. Staying in Harrogate tonight as it's half way then on to Bridlington for two days - mainly to RSPB Bempton Cliffs to photograph Gannets, Puffins and other seabirds. Fingers crossed that the Albatross that visits there in present! "A Black Browed Albatross Thought to be the only albatross of its kind in the Northern Hemisphere". Should be in The Falklands!

Going out for a birthday breakfast in Binghamton (about 40 miles away) today. The restaurant we are going to I have gone to since the seventies. One of my favorite places. I can easily order keto food there. Sonny and I always go out for a birthday breakfast to celebrate our birthdays together. Mine was Friday and his is tomorrow. I am 3 days older so I can boss him around. lol

I am going to take some stuff out of my storage locker this morning. I have been trying to clean it out to make more room. So every day I try to take one box or one thing out of there and get rid of it. I have collected some boxes due to buying electrical gadgets that I wanted to be sure they worked and didn't have to send them back. After 90 days I can get rid of the boxes........but I didn't. So need to get rid of the ones I stuck in there.

I just went to the grocery, I used a lot of those terms while I was there. This is with people that engage me or I engage them in conversation. We don't know each other but I find it endearing. I took a cart from a lady in the parking lot, I said I will take that sweetheart. She, thank you so much. I was looking at chicken, a lady place her hand on my shoulder and said, Girl, have I lost my mind, didn't these used to be 9 or 10 dollars a package. I said, No, you have not lost your mind, shocking right?

Same lady met again in the condiment aisle, she suggested a jerk product for my chicken wings. I laughed, I am old now and the tummy does not like spicey. We both laughed. These are the kind of exchanges that all people should have with others. Both of these ladies were much younger than I, of a different race but were kind and funny, they did not care that I was just an old white lady. Not many will go out of their way to engage. I am always open to meet new people if only for a minute.
That's the type of exchanges I have when I'm out and about. I'm a Northerner living in the south. We northern folk are much more open and friendly than southerners.. ( opposite to the USA I believe) and I usually always start a conversation and almost always get a strange looks as if to say.. ''what kind of alien is this trying to communicate with me''... but occasionally I get a friendly response, usually from an older person, and it always makes me smile

Last edited:
Yesterday was a very hot/humid day with no wind only thing I did was water the plants at 6:30am high was 91
This morning around 6:30 went outside to water plants in our community garden temp was already 75 with a slight breeze
I'll be walking to/from my church{6 blocks} for our 10:30 service,afterwards we'll have annual congregation meeting. When I get home, call my brother,John he&his wife are at their house in NH
The rest of my day read local paper, do couple games on my smartphone,read my book
Its another sunny but less humid day here, temps in mid 80's

That's the type of exchanges I have when I'm out and about. I'm a Northerner living in the south. We northern folk are much more open and friendly than southerners.. ( opposite to the USA I believe) and I usually always start a conversation and almost always get a strange looks as if to say.. ''what kind of alien is this trying to communicate with me''... but occasionally I get a friendly response, usually from an older person, and it always makes me smile
I chat with strangers on a regular basis. Can't remember being spurned, though I surely have. My attitude, if you're waiting in line at a store, what's the harm in having a little conversation with someone next to you? If an adorable toddler passes by wearing a tutu and cowboy boots, is it offensive to smile, compliment her on her choice of outfit and have the mom say, "She dressed herself this morning. Couldn't talk her out of it, though I did try..." Then smile and pull up a memory of your own. A quick connection that buoys everyone involved.

During pandemic "safer at home" periods, people bemoaned their lack of human interaction. We're highly social creatures.

Feel free to visit California, Holly. We're typically a very friendly group!

p.s. Pre-GPS in every car and cellphone, I was en route to my mother (who lived with the Hollywood sign pretty much in her backyard). There was a woman with a preteen girl standing in the middle of a fairly busy street while her husband was in that same street aiming a camera a ways back. Obviously the mom and daughter were posing for a photo with the sign in the background. I stopped and cautioned them that there was a blind curve just ahead and I feared they'd be mowed down. The woman looked a little sad but thanked me and started to move toward the side of the road.

I detected her British accent and realized that day might be their only opportunity to do get these photos. So I said, "If you want a great shot of the sign, you can follow me. My mom lives three houses down from it." Her face broke into a smile and she gestured for her husband (and son). They hopped into their rental car and followed me up the winding Hollywood Hills roads. I brought them into Mom's backyard where they took numerous photos - even some with me (that they insisted on - lol) and posed for others that I snapped of their entire family. As they were getting ready to leave I offered them the use of her guest bathroom, which they gratefully accepted. They were a delightful family and it was a charming chance encounter. If I'd left my house 5 minutes earlier or later that opportunity wouldn't have presented itself.

I'll always be glad that I took the time to stop and reach out to them. When DH and I have traveled, we've likewise run into so many people who've gone out of their way to make our visit to their homeland just a little bit nicer.

So yeah, I talk to strangers, too. One never knows... you may make each other's day a whole lot better.

Over 2 years and now finally in about 2 hours the sunroom addition will be finished. The men are here doing the capping on the windows.

This has been one long project, lots of tears, lots of tantrums, I cannot wait to pay them off and wave good bye.

Then I can brag about my part in the whole shebang......oops, it's not nice to brag or is it....wink

Just had an early shower while waiting for dinner to cook... had the Sunday roast ,typical style, except instead of beef I had pork sausages.

I really don't care for meat all that much so I don't really go out of my way to have anything special.. sausages instead of a roast beef, is fine by me , whatever I have will do..

It's just after 5pm.. the sun has gone in, and it's pretty windy, but still warm..so I have the windows all open to let the breeze blow right through.. .

I've just been sorting some clothes for wearing this week..I like to know what I'll be wearing rather than grasping for something at the last minute and discarding it as it doesn't match/fit/look good.. ..anybody else do that ?

I choose my clothing the night before.
yes I used to do that when I was working, but now I have more time, and my week is planned out sometimes, and so I get the appropriate clothes matched and ready to wear.

If I lived in Cali... where it's hot most of the time, like Spain.. I would just have my shorts and tops all in a row in the wardrobe.. easy peasy :LOL: here we have to dance with the weather

I made it to Columbus, Ohio yesterday. I anticipated that trying to get out of Chicago would be harrowing, but a heavy rain made it all the more fun. I'd chosen Columbus so that I could arrive in daylight, but between leaving late, the rain and road-construction causing it to take an extra hour to get out of Chicago, plus a time zone change, I arrived after dark anyway.

Apparently some evil bug took over my phone because I'd put on the directions using the major highway that would route through Indianapolis and would have essential rest stops, but the phone guided me off onto a minor highway that was slower, had only one rest stop the whole route, and had actual traffic lights throughout the Indiana portion. Once I crossed the Ohio border the highway became more like a real highway (and that was where the longed-for rest stop was), but oddly although I could see lots of traffic going in the other direction out of Ohio, I was the only car going on the 'to Ohio' side of the highway. Felt surreal having a highway to myself.

My cat is adjusting really well. After we'd arrived to Chicago last month he spent a couple days hiding under the bed, but when we arrived here in Columbus he thoroughly scoped out our little suite (including annoying me by jumping up on everything and knocking over his [thankfully clean] kitty litter), checked out the view from the window for awhile, then wanted his dinner.

I failed again to arrive with the energy and organization to properly clean/sanitize the room before bringing in my stuff and strewing it all over, so today I had to move so much stuff back and forth to clean. But now the room is almost okay, the floor could use a second mopping (by hand, no room in car to travel with an actual mop) since so much dirt came off, but the carpet is hopeless and I'll just be walking back and forth from the carpet to the vinyl flooring anyway. There were half a dozen loose drawer/cabinet knobs and I was glad I brought a screw driver, I got them nicely tightened up.

Yesterday I took a bus downtown; it’s only the second time I’ve done it. Logically it was less expensive than 3 hours of parking and there’s a two hour limit so I’d have to return and move the car. I’ll be doing this more often. I have an appointment with the optician this week so that solves the no driving after dilation problem. Explored lots of shops that I never visit.

Today I’ve had my hair cut, found some summer weight pants for my husband and nothing for myself. Also took a long walk around the shops prior to them opening. Later I’ll go for a walk to pick up milk.

Yesterday I took a bus downtown; it’s only the second time I’ve done it. Logically it was less expensive than 3 hours of parking and there’s a two hour limit so I’d have to return and move the car. I’ll be doing this more often.
Well done Jules, for years I was in the habit of getting the car out of the garage and go to wherever my appointment or destination was for that journey, public transport just didn't occur to me. Then, on reaching pension age, two things happened, I injured my right arm and couldn't steer the car without using my left arm, the car being manual, meant that I needed my left hand for the gears. It was also the time that we first had the mind numbingly slow, dial up internet.

Slow it might have been, but I was able to see the bus times of the service, that ran close to my home, that would take me, to my out patient's hospital appointment. How it all just fell into place impressed me, no longer do I simply get the car out of the garage, if I have an appointment, somewhere that I must be, the car is always the fallback, but I always check online which bus, at what time, I can use, instead of the car. In the past that's something that I would never even give a second thought to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back