What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are adopting the dog we met on a meet-and-greet a couple of days ago. (Yay!) He'll be delivered to our house tomorrow - the rescue agency has to check our house to make sure it's ok (???). We sent photos, but apparently that's not enough these days.

I get that some people abuse or don't properly care for animals, but I brought three human babies home from the hospital with less drama and far fewer forms. (For this dog, we had to sign an EIGHT page adoption agreement, plus pony up $450 for an animal that was "rescued" from a no-kill pound by this organization.)

Dog recuses go to public shelters, scoop up the most adoptable dogs and leave the old, sick, and less desirable breeds (for example, pit bulls and some other breeds are specifically excluded from the liability insurance portion of most US homeowner insurance plans).

Adopting a dog from a public shelter (supported by my taxes) costs $70 - $100. This rescue was relatively inexpensive at $450 (supposedly a "donation" but good luck getting the dog if you don't pay it.) Most rescues actually charge more than that, with some encouraging bidding wars between interested families. Wish I were kidding, but I'm not.

Rant over.

Bottom line: we're delighted to be bringing a new dog into our home. According to their vet's guesstimate, he's about 1-1/2 years old and a miniature schnauzer/poodle mix. He's a good size for us at roughly 18 lbs, is charcoal in color, and very shy. He'll undoubtedly warm up after he settles in.

Most important to us, he's small enough to be easily wrangled by seniors, isn't extremely high energy and doesn't need a great deal of exercise (like an Australian shepherd might, for instance), shows no aggression whatsoever, is fine around adults and children, gets along with other dogs, is house-broken, and doesn't shed.

I'll post a photo when we get him. DH and I haven't yet settled on a name. We'll see what fits him.

With great sadness, today I'll wash all of our previous pup's bedding, blankets, etc. I will love and miss my little buddy for the rest of my life.

Though I mourn him deeply, I do so with gratitude. How fortunate I've been to have had three dogs in this lifetime who were special above the rest. I loved each of them so much that the partings were excruciating.
@StarSong

Sad as it is to say goodbye to our pets, who are not just pets, but family .. it is soul-healing to bring a new member into the fold. I wish you many loving years with your new poochie. Can't wait to see photos :)

We are adopting the dog we met on a meet-and-greet a couple of days ago. (Yay!) He'll be delivered to our house tomorrow - the rescue agency has to check our house to make sure it's ok (???). We sent photos, but apparently that's not enough these days.

I get that some people abuse or don't properly care for animals, but I brought three human babies home from the hospital with less drama and far fewer forms. (For this dog, we had to sign an EIGHT page adoption agreement, plus pony up $450 for an animal that was "rescued" from a no-kill pound by this organization.)

Dog recuses go to public shelters, scoop up the most adoptable dogs and leave the old, sick, and less desirable breeds (for example, pit bulls and some other breeds are specifically excluded from the liability insurance portion of most US homeowner insurance plans).

Adopting a dog from a public shelter (supported by my taxes) costs $70 - $100. This rescue was relatively inexpensive at $450 (supposedly a "donation" but good luck getting the dog if you don't pay it.) Most rescues actually charge more than that, with some encouraging bidding wars between interested families. Wish I were kidding, but I'm not.

Rant over.

Bottom line: we're delighted to be bringing a new dog into our home. According to their vet's guesstimate, he's about 1-1/2 years old and a miniature schnauzer/poodle mix. He's a good size for us at roughly 18 lbs, is charcoal in color, and very shy. He'll undoubtedly warm up after he settles in.

Most important to us, he's small enough to be easily wrangled by seniors, isn't extremely high energy and doesn't need a great deal of exercise (like an Australian shepherd might, for instance), shows no aggression whatsoever, is fine around adults and children, gets along with other dogs, is house-broken, and doesn't shed.

I'll post a photo when we get him. DH and I haven't yet settled on a name. We'll see what fits him.

With great sadness, today I'll wash all of our previous pup's bedding, blankets, etc. I will love and miss my little buddy for the rest of my life.

Though I mourn him deeply, I do so with gratitude. How fortunate I've been to have had three dogs in this lifetime who were special above the rest. I loved each of them so much that the partings were excruciating.
Congratulations on the new dog! I've never had a poodle but the miniature schnauzer is a wonderful breed, they are very loyal and intelligent dogs....good luck with your new fur baby.
I've been cutting back shrubs and taking out annuals in the yard, this brutal heat has really done a number on my yard.

Congratulations on the new dog! I've never had a poodle but the miniature schnauzer is a wonderful breed, they are very loyal and intelligent dogs....good luck with your new fur baby.
I've been cutting back shrubs and taking out annuals in the yard, this brutal heat has really done a number on my yard.
yep sadly my gardens are all effed up because of the very hot temps and no rain whatsoever for weeks.... they're the colour of fake cheese..Bright Yellow ... and the texture of a cheese grater.. .. no rain forecast anywhere on the horizon, and they've brought in a hosepipe ban now for the South of England..

Today was sunny and hot.. what else.. ?:ROFLMAO:... I had to go and have bloods drawn at the hospital this morning, and the phlebotomist was moaning about patients to me.. She said by the time I get to the end of the week.. I hate people sooo much I never want to see another one...

This was my face.. :oops:😬😧.. because she's sticking needles in me.. so I ask her why she feels like this , and she says because People are downright rude.. .. the vast majority of people who come to have their blood tests done are rude, and nasty... well... I didn't know what to say.. I told her I could hardly believe it.. why would people be rude at the blood unit.. especially when she could stick the needle in a painful place ?.. but she insisted they are... ! I was shocked..!!

Last edited:
..after I cam e out of the hospital.. I drove to Costco.. did some bulk buying.. got some cheaper fuel.. 20p a litre cheaper there than anywhere else.. then once I had all the stuff on board, travelled another 10 miles north to a market town.. trying to get as much steps for exercise as I can . I've got my treadmill here at the house, but if I go on that every day, I get woken up in the night with excruciatingly painful cramps in my thigh..so I try to mix up the page, and just walk on alternate days..

I looked around the high street stores.. walking in the sun.. stopped and had a coke at a pub..

This is where I was today....this was the only place which wasn't busy... it's just a little walkway with bars and cafe's off the main parade ..and the busker could really sing..

IMG-5313.jpg

Just found out that my daughter was exposed to Covid on Wednesday. So that means I won't see her this weekend. DH & I isolated for 5 days after returning from Toronto. That was up on Wednesday (we took home tests that came up negative). We haven't seen her family in two weeks - guess we'll have to wait a little longer.

On a far happier note, in addition to the new dog coming tomorrow we'll have our baby grandson tomorrow afternoon through midday Sunday. :love: Looking forward to some time with him since it's also been two weeks since we've spent more than a few minutes him and his parents. Even then DH & I were masked up.

We'll keep the dog and baby separated (obviously).

Tequila with pineapple juice for me. I have been pushing to get back to a normal sleep schedule. Did not work last week so I have brought in a little help. We shall see?

Since very nearly losing my dearest friend to alcoholism last year, and shepherding her through rehab, nursing home care and more for a period of months, my taste for alcohol (which wasn't that strong to begin with) has diminished considerably.

This evening I'll toast you ladies with a glass of sparkling water with some guava juice mixed in. 🍸

Since very nearly losing my dearest friend to alcoholism last year, and shepherding her through rehab, nursing home care and more for a period of months, my taste for alcohol (which wasn't that strong to begin with) has diminished considerably.

This evening I'll toast you ladies with a glass of sparkling water with some guava juice mixed in.
🍸
And I'll toast you right back, @StarSong, for being such a good supportive friend.

I'm sorry you almost lost your friend. I have a couple of friends who are or were alcoholics. Being able to enjoy alcoholic beverages in moderation is important. Unfortunately, some people can't. I don't drink around them. It's not a problem for me. I like a drink, but I don't need one. I respect their efforts to control their addiction and wouldn't dream of tempting them.

Just for the record, I enjoy having a drink. I don't drink to get drunk, never have. I don't drink much because I don't weigh much. I'm a one-shot wonder. Lightweights and too much alcohol definitely don't mix.

Bella ✌️

Unfortunately, some people can't. I don't drink around them. It's not a problem for me. I like a drink, but I don't need one. I respect their efforts to control their addiction and wouldn't dream of tempting them.

Bella ✌️
I'm not teetotal due to any addiction..:D. I just can't stand the smell of most alcoholics drinks, especially hard liquor... and even more the Taste.. I used to drink when I was younger but that was to keep up with my peers but I hated the taste....then I married a high functioning alcoholic, so even more I dislike alcohol... but I don't mind other people drinking around me, as long as they don't get abusive when they've had more than they can handle..

I go in the pub almost evertime I;m out , and get a soft drink or coffee.. completely surrounded by drinkers.. doesn't bother me at all.. it's just not for me..

Last edited:
It's not quite 630 am here so make mine coffee:coffee:

A rare Saturday off. More weeds will meet their maker today.

There's a trip to the bank early and then a stop at the store to check the schedule for next week. Supervisor didn't post it, but it's supposed to be available by noon on Friday. Grrr. It can't be accessed except from the computer at work.

When that's done, it's back to the garden to continue digging weeds. I know y'all are jealous. Try not to be hating...

That’s shocking the hoops and dollars set by the organization. I hope they don’t insist on inspecting your house too much.
I volunteered for a large, breed-specific, dog rescue as a volunteer for several years. We required home visits and charged for the dogs. Shelters would call the rescue and alert them to dogs that looked like our breed, and we would always take them. Puppy millers called too, and the deal was take them or they die, basically.

We required references and home visits because people lie to get a dog. When we required a fenced yard (always for mill dogs or dog-aggressive dogs), sometimes the yard would be partially fenced and, for example, large gaps would be filled with cardboard boxes. This is not adequate.

Home visits - sometimes the homes would not be suitable for a dog. Hoarders come to mind. Sometimes the home would have other pets in it we were not told about. You don't adopt out a dog to a home that has cats when they are cat aggressive. Sometimes the owners would have children under age 6 whom we were not told about. Our rescue would not adopt out a dog to people who had children under 6, because our dogs were very active and could knock over or hurt a young child by accident.

We also required that people come from wherever they lived to personally pick up the dog, so the rescue's owner could meet them and talk to them. By this stage, everyone had been thoroughly vetted. It was a national rescue, so people came from all over the US. The dogs were not allowed to fly home in planes.

The shelter was a non-profit organization, audited by the IRS every year with no problems. The expenses were very high, especially the vet bills, which often included surgery and or teeth cleaning. Every dog went to the vet to be checked out and brought up to date on vaccines. We had many dogs who were not our breed because the owner attracted strays, or a shelter thought they were our breed, but they weren't, or because we took in dogs that were breed mixed with ours.

So many times the owner would be driving down the road, see a stray, open her car door, and it would hop in. It was pretty amazing. The rescue would try to find the owner, but rarely did. Those dogs need fattening up and vet car, and had been abandoned.

The owner took in a blind dog the shelter was going to put down. It wasn't our breed. She also took in a dog destined for the meat market in Thailand, who wasn't our breed. She adopted both of them herself, and the dogs have thrived.

Not all rescues are alike, and the vast majority have solid reasons for their requirements.

Yesterday my son and I took groceries to my husband. He ran out of money before he ran out of month. While there, I found my car cover and picked up the dog's crate. By the time we got home, I was pretty hot and tired. Wearing an N95 mask didn't help -- those things are hot.

My husband had fallen the night before and hurt his leg, so he stayed home. No doctor required, he said. He made plans to see the new Top Gun movie with our son this afternoon.

Today, I am going to pack and clean and do laundry. My son, who returned from CA this spring, had all his winter clothing there. So that has to be washed because of the mouse problem at the house.

I'm also going to call a couple of dealers to see if they want to buy my daughters 2004 Honda CRV with 98K miles on it, in great condition. When my mother gave the car to me in 2018, her mechanic offered me $5K for it. My daughter may get that because of the car shortage. One wants the car, but the other one is here in town. My husband was supposed to follow me to the dealer who wants to buy the car, but his leg hurt too much. I need a way to get home. So I have to find someone who wants to drive 1.5 hour round trip, hence the idea of checking with the dealer in town.

It's not quite 630 am here so make mine coffee:coffee:

A rare Saturday off. More weeds will meet their maker today.

There's a trip to the bank early and then a stop at the store to check the schedule for next week. Supervisor didn't post it, but it's supposed to be available by noon on Friday. Grrr. It can't be accessed except from the computer at work.

When that's done, it's back to the garden to continue digging weeds. I know y'all are jealous. Try not to be hating...
there's really no weeding to be done here because we've had no rain for weeks... so nothing aside from my potted plants are growing!!

In that sense it's been great not have had to mow the lawns every 2 weeks.. but everything is barren now...

I'm not teetotal due to any addiction..:D. I just can't stand the smell of most alcoholics drinks, especially hard liquor... and even more the Taste.. I used to drink when I was younger but that was to keep up with my peers but I hated the taste....then I married a high functioning alcoholic, so even more I dislike alcohol... but I don't mind other people drinking around me, as long as they don't get abusive when they've had more than they can handle..

I go in the pub almost evertime I;m out , and get a soft drink or coffee.. completely surrounded by drinkers.. doesn't bother me at all.. it's just not for me..
Same with me. Being married to an alcoholic made me not care for drinking at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back